Ask A Moderator

The biggest thing with moderation is consistency. It's like one can't give you the outside corner, then they rotate in the third inning, and the next one takes it away then ejects you when you argue balls and strikes.

I agree. The stance I took in that Tony Stewart thread is the one I intend to take everywhere. If you can make a point without painting an entire group of people with a broad brush then you should probably avoid using the brush.

I have had dinner with John de Lancie. John de Lancie is a friend of mine.

You sir, are no John de Lancie.

Well I'd never cast my aspirations so high.
  • Like 1

The biggest thing with moderation is consistency. It's like one can't give you the outside corner, then they rotate in the third inning, and the next one takes it away then ejects you when you argue balls and strikes.

I agree. The stance I took in that Tony Stewart thread is the one I intend to take everywhere. If you can make a point without painting an entire group of people with a broad brush then you should probably avoid using the brush.

I totally agree with that, but (IMO) the banning of the video is a little silly. When Google is running ads and getting hundreds of thousands of clicks on videos of it on Youtube, then it should be fair game here. At least in spoiler tags if necessary. It's not going to get Google's ads pulled from the site if Google is hosting it itself. It just aids in discussion if we know we're all looking at the same thing.

But...but...it's disrespectful to the dead guy!!!!!!!

Posting that video (or the link to the video) isn't going to piss off the ads folks. Which should be the basis of moderating this site: Whatever doesn't piss off the sponsors and whatever isn't putting a poster's personal information on a public forum. I'd allow some cheap shots and busting of chops (some situations just beg for it), but not going overboard.

Like BBTV said, a little consistency is all we ask for. And the moderating is becoming too noticeable. It's just as annoying to scroll past these "MOD EDIT" posts as it was to see all those Cardinals rings.

I'd allow some cheap shots and busting of chops (some situations just beg for it), but not going overboard.

Oh, you'll allow us to take out unprovoked personal shots. Ok then.

Like BBTV said, a little consistency is all we ask for.

I really don't think consistency has been an issue.

And the moderating is becoming too noticeable. It's just as annoying to scroll past these "MOD EDIT" posts as it was to see all those Cardinals rings.

I'd wager that most people are happy that those posts have been removed and that the poster responsible has been disciplined.

Fact is that the new mods were brought in because people were complaining about the forums being under-modded. Now the complaint is too much moderation. And I don't see it. Looking over the list of members who have been suspended or banned since the new mods have come in? I don't see a single case where I think "in retrospect we were too hard on him."

Look Hedley, just don't be a dick. It's not hard. Don't insult people without provocation. Don't bring religion and politics into threads where they don't belong. Don't spam the same thing over and over again. I don't think these guidelines are unreasonable.

It's a no-win situation for the mods.

For the longest time, we heard complaints that the mods were too complacent, they let too much crap happen without acting on it, they didn't act on things fast enough, or were this group of insiders with their minds set on discipling a few certain people while letting their friends get away with whatever they wanted.

Now that there are new mods, with a fresher perspective on handling board issues, we hear complaints that the mods are too visible, there's too tight a leash on everything.

Above all else, this is Chris' board. He was generous enough to create a message board where people can talk about sports uniforms and logos, first and foremost. All other side forums are just ways to enhance the experience and world of sports logos, but not to talk away from the primary focus.

Chris has trusted the mods to help keep the board running smoothly. That includes deleting comments and threads that go off-topic, and to issue disciplinary actions as necessary to members who continue to act in ways antithetical to the purpose of the boards.

Don't like it? You don't have to visit. Other members have started their own message boards when they didn't like the direction things were going here.

• Like 2

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The main issue here isn't the mods, but the fact that most people don't see the comments these people have written because its been deemed offensive by a mod.

What exactly is the criteria behind a mod-edit worthy post?

Seems to me that it differs from each mod.

Just my 2 cents.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

The main issue here isn't the mods, but the fact that most people don't see the comments these people have written because its been deemed offensive by a mod.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I try to leave a reason why I've edited a post, and I try to keep it as clear as possible.

Don't insult people without provocation.Don't bring religion and politics into threads where they don't belong. Don't spam the same thing over and over again. I don't think these guidelines are unreasonable.

Those seem to be the guidelines I keep to. And it seems to be what others have stuck to. Really it just comes down to common sense. "Is it a dick move to post this?" If the answer is yes, it's probably going to be edited. At least partly.

My own observation is that the only way the new mods have been "inconsistent" is that the more visible and active moderation presence is inconsistent with the past anarchy that was permitted on much of the boards. In this case, inconsistency is very, very welcome.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just my 2 cents.

For the most part, I'm editing posts because I don't feel like they have a place in the discussion (typically personal attacks) and thus will write a message intended more for the poster than anything.

But more than anything, it's whether or not you've gone over the line in my opinion.

A post requiring moderation might say "Ward deserved to die and the Earth is a better place without him in the gene pool." That's just stupid, disrespectful, and over the line. It has no place in logical, on-course discussion.

However, a post that doesn't require moderation would be "I can't really feel sorry for the guy because he put himself in a really stupid position." That's a calm and smart way to make a very similar point.

Think twice about what you post before you post it. Read over it. And don't try and pull the "internet tough guy" role.

If you've got complaints, we'd love to hear them. But the vast majority of feedback I've gotten has been of the "I like the changes" variety. So we keep doing the same things. You can always feel free to shoot me a PM if you've got a question about why something was edited or deleted.

• Like 1

6fQjS3M.png

Well for 10+ years an honest comment like that wasn't over the line, but now it is. Times change. That's cool.

I don't feel sorry for him, and I don't think you have to feel sorry for him. If the new standard is that we have to weep for everyone's death and "hug the ones close to us" and all be Cardinals, then that's a dramatic shift from the open dialog we used to have. Calling him out for being an idiot isn't baiting, it isn't trolling, nor is it causing trouble.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't feel sorry for him, and I don't think you have to feel sorry for him.

Calling him out for being an idiot isn't baiting, it isn't trolling, nor is it causing trouble.

Never said that it was. In fact, I said that a post that was cool for me was "I can't really feel sorry for the guy because he put himself in a really stupid position." This is exactly what you've just said I wouldn't allow.

The issue comes with comments like "he deserved to die and the Earth is better without him in the gene pool," which is unproductive and over the line. That's got a much greater likelihood of starting trouble and you should be able to recognize that difference. If you can't, I'm sorry.

6fQjS3M.png

Free Speech Comic
Alt-text: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.

Edited by Ice_Cap
Further edited, as the original link may have been messing with some people's anti-virus software

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Here's a question:

I'm trying to send a message to more than 1 recipient but it is not working. I am able to select the 1st recipient from the list but not the 2nd one.

I have left a space and, have used a comma with a space. Neither seem to work.

I'm sure it's something small and stupid that I'm over looking but can someone please advise?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.