NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

The Hawks red uniform is definitely the best, and I don't think either color uniform looks bad...despite the outrageous volt "green" ... but the brand itself is a dumpster fire. They're trying to combine that tri-color scheme with white and make it look presentable and it just doesn't work. The white home jerseys are bad, the center-court logo (red/white) doesn't go with the baseline...the graphics in Philips Arena concourse are green, white and black for some reason, and the circular "basketball club" logo has been a major dud.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man the NBA has to be by far the worst looking league right now. Does every team have a :censored:ty black jersey with sleeves? I watch NBA highlights at night and often don't recognize any of the jerseys being worn. Teams have no identity anyone. Even classic teams like the Celtics and Lakers are victim to this.

Not everyone has Ibaka's biceps so I do see a point in buying a sleeved uniform. However, the existence of inaccurate replicas in one of my pet peeves. You can either wear crap or you have to buy the swingman jersey (I'm aware that swingmen are not authentic but at least they replicate them more closely).

For casual fans too many jerseys might indeed be confusing but since I watch the games on League Pass, I don't mind seeing more variety.

I'm not even going to comment on the half-assed Clippers uniforms. I will wait until they come up with properly designed jerseys.

If I had to pick a favorite sleeved jersey, the new Rockets alts would be it. That shade of gray suits the Rockets and the black and red trim makes for a really nice color scheme. It'd just be better without the sleeves.

What sort of gun would be pointed at your head?

I like the Pelicans' Mardi Gras jerseys.

CPH_JHNUEAAzLS1.0.0.jpg

I can't see them playing well if they have to wear those green backpacks.

Man the NBA has to be by far the worst looking league right now. Does every team have a :censored:ty black jersey with sleeves? I watch NBA highlights at night and often don't recognize any of the jerseys being worn. Teams have no identity anyone. Even classic teams like the Celtics and Lakers are victim to this.

I agree, teams like the Heat have 3 great unis, a white, a black, a red. Yet they continue to wear :censored:, like the white alternate and the black tuxedo uniform *facepalm*

Not everyone has Ibaka's biceps so I do see a point in buying a sleeved uniform. However, the existence of inaccurate replicas in one of my pet peeves. You can either wear crap or you have to buy the swingman jersey (I'm aware that swingmen are not authentic but at least they replicate them more closely).

The thing is: the replica I posted *is* the swingman jersey. Adidas couldn't be bothered to make the stripes go all the way up in a $110 jersey!?

On a side note: non-authentic jerseys have gotten *expensive*. I haven't shopped for one in a while, but authentics still run ~$250-300. However, the hideous, wide-shouldered replicas have crept up to $70 (down from, say, $40-50), and the somewhat better-looking swingman jerseys have gone from $70-80 to $110.

Thanks for correcting me. It sucks that they are not able to make a decent swingman jersey.

As mentioned above, the Heat are wearing tuxedo unis this week, which means they are going to tie Cavs with 8 jerseys this season. Are we going to see 10 next year?

wade_tuxedo.jpg

picupload

What an horrible matchup...

The Wizards have started marketing replicas of their "Baltimore Pride" sleeved unis for sale. This one runs $109.99:

7818A_WWI_AEB1500_3W4_MF_150901.jpg

For comparison's sake, here's the official version:

tptAE4X9lrA8MnWFN8s4Lh7lxiJbXBJ0kDpn64u-

The stripes don't go all the way up to the collar on the replica -- which creates this weird, thick red "border: around the two-tone collar. The resulting effect looks like the Nike flywire NFL collars.

What's the point of sacrificing player comfort to implement "merch-friendly" sleeved templates if they're still going to water down the design for the replicas? :angered:

Bigger question is why would you bother buying anything with sleeves on it in the first place? They're hideous as is, and then they go water down the design anyway for replicas... garbage.

My anectdotal experience is that, before the sleeved jerseys came in, I saw many more fans wearing shirt versions of jerseys than standard tank-tops. This goes both for the Nets after their move and for the Knicks during the Jeremy Lin mania, as well as for nationally popular teams such as the Celtics, the Lakers, and the Bulls.

While I have no objection to a sleeved jersey on the court, I still don't see the point of bringing in sleeved jerseys as a means of selling merchandise. Teams could always just make a shirt version of the jersey. They have done this for quite a while with t-shirts; and they could easily produce one out of higher quality material with a higher price point.

It's interesting that the teams are using the sleeved jerseys for alternate designs. (The Nets' alternate design that resembles their Dr. J-era uniforms is their best look, far superior to their regular look.) But I am quite sure that a shirt version of any team's normal jersey would be a saleable item, even if teams never wore sleeved jerseys on the court.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I guess fans still want to wear what players wear (or close enough). And you cannot charge over 100$ for a T-shirt.

I see one more argument but I'm not sure how relevant it is. I often see people in Europe wearing football shirts for different kinds of sports (e.g. running, working out, even basketball occasionally). Perhaps Adidas is trying to target this market as well (BTW, males are forbidden to wear tank tops in many German gyms).

(BTW, males are forbidden to wear tank tops in many German gyms).

:suspect:

I guess fans still want to wear what players wear (or close enough). And you cannot charge over 100$ for a T-shirt.

Tell Kanye that. ;)

But yeah, it's gotta be easier to sell sleeved jerseys if the players themselves are wearing them on the court. They're living mannequins.

So, I got to thinking about the Nuggets and their new wordmarks. They are much better than the previous years use of Aachen Bold.

I also realize they use their pick axe logo more than anything else. Which is definitely their best mark and is a step in the right direction.

So..I think they're going to pull one of "those" rebrands and here's my guess at a new primary:

DenverNuggets_Concept_zpsvzha2pa4.png

In one of the roundels, I added in an image of a golden nugget at either side, between city and nickname. But I doubt they'd do that.

I thought the Nuggets nailed it in 2003 and every modification since has been a downgrade, besides replacing the DN with the pick axe. Especially dropping those fabulous navy alts. With the amount of alts teams have these days there's no reason they can't have both that one and the yellow fauxback.

I especially hate the navy blue numbers on the new road road jersey. Need to be white.

Archived