LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think the designer realized that his/her idea for the red jersey goes right to hell if a player wears a single-digit number, or a two-digit number with a "1" in it?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The "CLA" and uniform number are designed to compose a unified, centered element across the chest. For any number narrower than the "32" in the model, the number would either 1) have to be right-justified in its space, creating a large, off-center gap between the number and logo; or 2) centered in its space, leading to a smaller gap, but throwing the balance of the combined logo/number design completely off toward the left.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT

The white and blue sets are average, respectable uniforms. Not spectacular, but not spectacularly crappy either.

I like the idea of playing up the LA instead of Clipper imagery. The "Clipper" name worked in a town known for ships like San Diego, so it's better to stress LA. The CLA logo, like the white and blue uniforms, is average but not awful.

The "CLA" and uniform number are designed to compose a unified, centered element across the chest. For any number narrower than the "32" in the model, the number would either 1) have to be right-justified in its space, creating a large, off-center gap between the number and logo; or 2) centered in its space, leading to a smaller gap, but throwing the balance of the combined logo/number design completely off toward the left.

Have we seen the custom font yet? Surely the 1 will be as wide as the 2, and single-digit players will be required to have a 0 in front of their number in this alt. Fire.

:)

It's a bit too busy for me. The nautical theme is getting a bit too heavy, but that's not to say it's not a beautifully done concept, I simply don't feel it works for the Clippers. They need a nautical touch, but not a sledgehammer of boats and water.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like the idea of playing up the LA instead of Clipper imagery. The "Clipper" name worked in a town known for ships like San Diego, so it's better to stress LA.

Well, if they are doing this, then why not take the opportunity to rebrand completely and change the team name? It's not like they have "el cheapo" Donald Sterling as an owner anymore, and as they are working on a fresh start, this is the perfect time to do it.

It is what it is.

I like the idea of playing up the LA instead of Clipper imagery. The "Clipper" name worked in a town known for ships like San Diego, so it's better to stress LA.

Well, if they are doing this, then why not take the opportunity to rebrand completely and change the team name? It's not like they have "el cheapo" Donald Sterling as an owner anymore, and as they are working on a fresh start, this is the perfect time to do it.

I'd be down for that.

I feel like they could've easily adapted the wordmarks they have now into a bit more solid identity, and it would've worked just fine. Basically the main logo needs a refresh obviously, but how would they ever think that what they trademarked was better than these I'll never know...

4lvhqg5ztfeoezeig5h6p6gfj.gifesjh42dzbk5mg54pn3deriyjg.gif

and they also have one of my favorite sets in the league. Take the sleeves off the light blue uni and it's a winner.

8fns2wrlgsy8gh7n6r8egi4ph.gifrge9l38k1suxmo5vsrxpdoseq.gif9023_los_angeles_clippers-alternate-20142531_los_angeles_clippers-alternate-2013

Granted, the Clippers history is mostly forgettable, but they've had the most success the team has ever had in this current look. Usually, teams change when things are going downhill, not during a successful run.

You know what just occured to me Steve Balmer is computer sufficent and knows about internet leaks and trademark leaks. What is this is a red herring covering up the real new look?

Is that wishful thinking on my part or is it possible?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I've been in the minority that not only do the Clippers not desperately need to change their uniforms but that their uniforms are top-half in the league. The logo is awful; no doubt about it. That ought to change, but the R/W/B is great and it's OK if a few teams have it.

But, I figured they'd change. Between the logo, the former owner, and the franchise's history, it was due. They could have gone to a light blue (Houston Oilers) scheme and been unique. Or they could have gone to the Orange/blue San Diego route and had a distinctive look. But they just added black. And they went with a logo set that is just pure crap.

And the "smile above wordmark / frown below wordmark" underlining style...is this a trend now?

The black just looks so out of place and forced.

Awful.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived