Unused Logos and Uniforms

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Cool.   So was it an image prepared by the league at the time?

It would have had to be, yeah. The penguin in the logo only had the scarf for their first season. They removed it for the start of the 1968-69 campaign.

• Like 1

I've posted on this before, and the links that had evidence have all since gone dead, but the Penguins' logo was often rotated incorrectly because people thought the penguin was running instead of skating. 

You can find the occasional really old Pens jersey with this rotation, because stores were merely sold the rights to make the jersey and the crests to put on them

For the image to come from the league is embarrassing, obviously they hired an American who wasn't all that familiar with what skating looks like.

• Like 2

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Looks like the same font, just with the colours reversed, which has the effect of making the numbers & letters look thinner. The teal may be a little lighter too, although that might be the lighting throwing it off - I remember back in the early 90s, depending on the lighting at the various arenas, the Hornets unis looked anything from green to light royal.

Can't believe with how long I've been following the team and how much historical info I have that this is the first time I've seen that uni.

• Like 4

On 2/6/2017 at 8:56 AM, leopard88 said:

I've never really thought about this before, but it's interesting that the Bombers' primary logo used a color scheme that is almost completely absent from the uniforms (excluding the logos).

I have the actual uniform in my collection. It was given to me by a person who worked at the NFL at the time. I also have the St. Louis Stallions.

• Like 4

On 2/14/2017 at 1:07 PM, Gobbi said:

Has anyone seen the old Canucks logo coloured this way before? This is the first I've ever seen of it. Source

<INSERT SKATE LOGO HERE>

Funny you mention this one, I tried YEARS ago to let this forum know of this logo but it went unnoticed. This logo was placed somewhere in the Coliseum, it seems to have been used for publicity photos and etc., for example: Pavel Bure was photographed in front of it holding his jersey for the newspapers in 1991, and is easily findable on Google.

This variant of the skate was also used on the team airplane:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33932332@N07/3195716800/

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CanuckFanatic92 said:

for example: Pavel Bure was photographed in front of it holding his jersey for the newspapers in 1991

5003837.bin.jpeg

• Like 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I love the blue and green for the Canucks and I never want them to change. However, the black, red, and gold were the Canucks' colors when I was growing up and I do have a soft spot for them. The spaghetti skate logo leaves much to be desired, IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I love the blue and green for the Canucks and I never want them to change. However, the black, red, and gold were the Canucks' colors when I was growing up and I do have a soft spot for them. The spaghetti skate logo leaves much to be desired, IMO.

I always thought of it as the planet Saturn, with the skate blade forming the rings.

• Like 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

10 hours ago, CanuckFanatic92 said:

Funny you mention this one, I tried YEARS ago to let this forum know of this logo but it went unnoticed. This logo was placed somewhere in the Coliseum, it seems to have been used for publicity photos and etc., for example: Pavel Bure was photographed in front of it holding his jersey for the newspapers in 1991, and is easily findable on Google.

This variant of the skate was also used on the team airplane:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33932332@N07/3195716800/

Interesting. It seems odd to have that logo used for publicity photos when it's different than the logo on the jersey being held up. I wonder if there was ever any intention to have different home/road logos a la the Leafs, Jets, Flames, etc. 

That plane is awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a fun one I found dinking around Getty Images. 

This is the logo of the Toronto Towers -- the relocated Cleveland Cavaliers -- that Ted Stepien was going to use if the team was allowed to relocate. Of course the team was eventually sold to the Gunds, teams weren't allowed to trade First Round Picks in consecutive drafts, etc., etc.

I never knew there was a mock up logo for the relocated Cavs.

OH -- and it should be noted that in the caption the team colors were to be red and white. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 9.16.48 PM.png

• Like 12

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Incredible find! I love anything like that related to the late 70s/early 80s NBA, when it seemed like teams were going to relocate, merge or just go out of business every week.

I wish I could find an article I had from c.1982 which detailed the NBA's tentative plans around that time - amongst other things, it had the Nuggets & Jazz merging, Spurs moving to Miami and Cleveland, Indiana & Kansas City folding outright!

• Like 7