NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

tl;dr:

- John Scott never wanted to be an enforcer but he had to be one to play, also he is deceptively smart, a second-verse-same-as-the-first Stu Grimson

- John Scott successfully reproduced

- Having to move to Newfoundland is inconvenient

- One of Bettman's cronies tried to shame John Scott out of the All-Star Game by implying that he was disgracing his family

- He may have been voted in as a joke, but at least he cracked the NHL in the first place, though he did so in a way that was the basis for being voted in as a joke

I'm just not feelin' the sympathy. The Internet Hockey Consensus got this one wrong. Better stick to UNSUSTAINABLE CORSI until we get ourselves back on our feet again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Guy at the league office should have asked John Scott if his daughters would be proud of him starting a fight with Phil Kessel in a preseason game. If he's the sensitive and cerebral man his ghostwriter is making him out to be, he probably would have said "no, come to think of it, they wouldn't, would they." 

Like 95% of the Phoenix area, I haven't paid attention to the Coyotes this year. I have a few questions.

1) Has Scott played well this year?

2) Why would Montreal trade for him just to stick him in the minors?

3) Is he still in the minors? Will he play in the ASG and go back to the minors?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

2 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

Like 95% of the Phoenix area, I haven't paid attention to the Coyotes this year. I have a few questions.

3) Is he still in the minors? Will he play in the ASG and go back to the minors?

1.  No idea, but I'm guessing not.
  2. I read Tinordi was in a holding pattern as a frequent healthy scratch and likely groused to management about playing time.  I'm guessing NHL officials told them they'd owe them a favor in order to make the John Scott thing go away, but obviously it blew up in their face.
  3. He's still in the minors.  He will play in the ASG wearing a generic uniform branded for the game itself and then return to the minors.  
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

If Scott had stuck as a defenseman, I wonder how he'd be. He's a slow guy, but for all we know he could've been a Chara......Or a Valabik.

I used to think that all hard hitting players or goons were defensemen when I was younger. I was real surprised to find out that people like Matt Cooke and Clutterbuck were both forwards...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1) John Scott has never played well in any year. If anything, this season has been his worst, barely dressing for games and clearing waivers a couple times.

2) So they can win the draft lottery; the other part of adopting the NBA's system with the top three picks in play is the part where the league rigs it.

3) He's still with St. John's, which is at least quaint. The Coyotes' AHL affiliate is Springfield Mass, the lesser Hartford.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

1) No

2) Montreal wasn't using Tinordi. Coyotes wanted a defenseman (so Tinordi) but needed to open a roster/contract spot, so they included Scott in the deal. Montreal didn't necessarily trade FOR him, they just said "Sure, why not? We'll just chuck him to Newfoundland."

3) Yes and Yes

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 1/29/2016 at 6:23 PM, the admiral said:

tl;dr:

- John Scott never wanted to be an enforcer but he had to be one to play, also he is deceptively smart, a second-verse-same-as-the-first Stu Grimson

I guess that's why they were asking me if I read the article to feel sympathetic for him, but I already know that's how players of John Scott's caliber even make the NHL. I've watched the Boogaard documentary, I understand where the players are coming from, but that doesn't mean I should feel sympathetic because of it. Like you said, he's a terrible player on the ice, example being the Kessel incident which you brought up. I don't care for his player, no matter how much he wants to make me feel for him.

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I never liked the NWHL and now I hate them.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Startupleague-itis.  The same woman is the league commissioner, owner of all four teams, and GM of just one of the teams.  It's like being your own grandmother.  She can pretty much do whatever she wants.  At least they pay the players.

1 hour ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I never liked the NWHL and now I hate them.

I think some people went overboard in praising the league's virtues just for existing, especially in the wake of the Kane false accusation (lots of "Blackhawks are evil, I'll only support the NWHL now!" from the bien-pensants) but I don't think anyone should hate them. It's good to see women's hockey have a professional league, and I hope they can expand to the midwest soon. It seems to be doing well so far, and hasn't suffered from a fraction of the derision that the WNBA has.

• Like 1

Yeah, I feel like this is a case of a startup league needing a strong, motivated person at the helm to get things up and running, but the problem is that such a personality also straddles a very fine line, and can easily slip into League Overlord mode, which does no one any favors. If others step up and Rylan can either be just a GM or just a commissioner, that's good for the league. If she's allowed to keep wearing multiple hats, then it'll be That Time Women Got Paid To Play Hockey For Two Seasons.

Ideally, I'd like to see the NWHL get to 6 stable teams in the northeast in 5 seasons or so, then be able to launch a second pod of six in the midwest in the early-to-mid 2020s. Also, maybe the CWHL could figure out how to start paying its players (any day now, ladies, we promise, just keep buying your own equipment to bring to games, okay?) and stabilize at 6 teams across Ontario and Quebec. Then you've basically got three very manageable bus leagues, and can do some sort of Memorial Cup-type postseason interleague tournament at the end.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was thinking the four they have now and then a circuit of TCs, Madison, Chicago, and Detroit. The Blackhawks are building that new community ice complex next door to the United Center, which would be an ideal site. Detroit and the Cities have no shortage of rinks in the burbs.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think some people went overboard in praising the league's virtues just for existing, especially in the wake of the Kane false accusation (lots of "Blackhawks are evil, I'll only support the NWHL now!" from the bien-pensants) but I don't think anyone should hate them. It's good to see women's hockey have a professional league, and I hope they can expand to the midwest soon. It seems to be doing well so far, and hasn't suffered from a fraction of the derision that the WNBA has.

I never liked the NWHL because people started praising them for exactly what you said, existing. Let's be honest, this is Bantam AAA level hockey at best. I understand that people would love to see a women's league where the players are paid and I have no problem with that, but I don't see the point in it. It's not that good of hockey. I don't see anyone going around talking about their local Bantam AAA teams and I see no difference. Then again, that's just my opinion. 

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

5 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I never liked the NWHL because people started praising them for exactly what you said, existing. Let's be honest, this is Bantam AAA level hockey at best. I understand that people would love to see a women's league where the players are paid and I have no problem with that, but I don't see the point in it. It's not that good of hockey. I don't see anyone going around talking about their local Bantam AAA teams and I see no difference. Then again, that's just my opinion. 

Come on now, it's not Bantam AAA. The Canadian National team, or at least the national program, has played Midget AAA and CIS teams in exhibition games, though to your point I do believe they did lose quite a few to both levels.

People aren't talking about their local Bantam AAA teams because those are 14-15 kids playing after school. The NWHL is the only paying professional womens hockey league, so yeah people are talking about it. 

IbjBaeE.png

16 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

does the NHL give money to the NWHL.  i hope this doesn't end up like the WNBA.  that plug should have been pulled years ago.    

not that i have a problem with the NWHL or WNBA.  the issue is that the (in case of the WNBA) that the NBA should run the league for a few years or so (when it started out) and then let it run itself (with the league not giving money but running some of the day to day things).  the WNBA should be playing in arena's that can fit the crowd size.  does the NWHL play in small arena's.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.