If you could prevent ANY relocation in sports history from happening, which one would you prevent?

FlyEaglesFly76

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since there is not a button for "New Orleans Jazz", I'll have to go with the Supersonics.

A lot of posters that didn't pick them uses as an excuse, "well, they eventually will get a team back".  How long is eventually? The 29 years it took for Minnesota to get an NBA team back? The 23 years it took for New Orleans to get a team back?  That's too long a wait for a great franchise with a lot of history and a great design package/name.  Plus I'm still pissed that the franchise is now in OKC.   Before New Orleans returned to the NBA in 2002, the Supersonics were one of the teams I followed and liked:

SONICS.jpg

Second choice is the Oilers, just due to the unique color scheme, excellent name and design package of the Oilers being so much better than that of the Texans.  But at least Houston has a team back.

Third is Hartford Whalers, which I'm mostly ambivalent on. It's a wash in that both cities are rather small markets comparatively (the franchise was/is the only major league franchise in each city), and it seems to me that  the franchise would be better suited in another larger locale (Houston? Kansas City's new arena?).  I will say Hartford, being in Connecticut, is more of a "traditional" hockey town.  It's also a wash in terms of names-- both names are a little out of place. Hartford is an inland city on the Connecticut River, not a site for ocean-going whalers (I know they originally started as the New England Whalers in Boston,and only changed to "Hartford"at the Bruins' insistence when entering the NHL from the WHA; yada yada; but "Hartford Whalers" makes about as little sense as "Tennessee Oilers").  Similarly, Raleigh-Durham is about 115 miles from the nearest Atlantic coastline, over 300 feet above sea level, and squarely in the middle of North Carolina.  "Hurricanes" seems an inappropriate name for such a location.  I know they tie it in with the place designation "Carolina" which ostensibly covers the coastlines of both North and South Carolina; but really, we're talking about a Raleigh-Durham team. 

Further on that note, I hate how it wound up that the Carolina Panthers are in Charlotte, while the Carolina Hurricanes are in Raleigh-Durham. That bugs me. Only precedent for that was for a few years when there were the California Angels in Anaheim and the California Seals/Golden Seals in the Bay Area.

Last is the Expos, which button I would never push.  I, for one, never liked their name, design package, and location in Canada.  In my jingoistic youth in the 1970s and 80s,  I thought it was a shame that American cities (like Washington, Denver, Miami, New Orleans, etc.)  had no MLB team while French-speaking Montreal in Canada did. Also, for all the reasons Kroywen pointed out, the franchise's situation in Montreal deteriorated over time, and I think it is a much better situation having the Nationals in DC now  than the Expos in Montreal.

It is what it is.

I gotta say....

I'm going Sonics. The team was unfairly taken away and the fanbase deserves their team back. I also hate the Thunder logo, jerseys and everything. The whole identity just feels wrong.

My 2nd choice is Whalers... albeit, I also always wondered what would've occurred had Hampton Roads won that NHL bid over Carolina.....

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

40 minutes ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

No bring back the Quebec Nordiques? 

Or the Minnesota North Stars or Baltimore Colts, for that matter. Sure, both cities eventually got replacement teams, but talk about two cities that got needlessly screwed out of the original teams that they loved.

That actually makes me think of an interesting question - if you could reverse any relocation in sports history, what would it be? For me, it'd have to be one that happened long before I was even born - the Dodgers moving to LA. What I wouldn't give to see a Yankees-Dodgers Subway Series rivalry today...

16 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

My vote would go to Seattle.  The Sonics seem to have meant more to that town than the other teams to the other towns.  I can't hold the ownership situation against the fans.  I would just hope they'd come back with better uniforms than their last ones.  I know they were a homage to their title team, but they could have been so much better.

Better than those red 90's monstrosities.  That Sonics fans had the team taken away, and the way ownership behaved the last season they were in Seattle still makes me ill. 

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I wasn't that upset at the time of the move to OKC because I wasn't fully educated on the story and I (incorrectly) assumed the Sonics weren't supported well. I became retroactively upset at Stern and the NBA when I ended up living a half mile away from Key Arena and learned about how the team was taken.

Not an NBA guy, but I am a live sports guy. I would've strolled over there for 5-10 games. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I wasn't that upset at the time of the move to OKC because I wasn't fully educated on the story and I (incorrectly) assumed the Sonics weren't supported well. I became retroactively upset at Stern and the NBA when I ended up living a half mile away from Key Arena and learned about how the team was taken.

Not an NBA guy, but I am a live sports guy. I would've strolled over there for 5-10 games. 

I was in grad school 2006-08 and too poor to go to Sonics games; I only got to one in two years.

One of my life goals is to live in a city with an NBA franchise. I'm pretty happy in Seattle, but not being able to see the games in person is a real drag. I've been to several NBA games in my life and I think they're only second to soccer in the live experience.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't follow hockey as much so sorry Whalers. I would like the Expos back but DC deserves baseball so I wouldn't want to take the Nats away. Houston got a team again, and the Titans are pretty cool. That leaves the Sonics who were ultimately a likable team in an awesome city that may never get a team back. The Thunder are obnoxious and in the worst state in the U.S. so I would take joy in yanking them back to Seattle!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Definitely either the Whalers or the Sonics. Expos would be nice to have back but IMO DC deserves bas ball even more than Montreal, and Houston has really taken to the Texans. 

I'll go with the Whalers because I'm more of a hockey fan than I am a basketball fan, but I'll admit that the Sonics should absolutely have a team and the debacle that sent them to OKC was horribly unfair. But, the same can be said of the Whalers. 

spacer.png

Why not merge the Titans and Texans to make a new Oiler team?

As for the Sonics, I would love to see them return, with a new arena of course. Any existing teams out there with expiring leases? Why not take the Pelicans off New Orleans' hands?

What about moving the Coyotes, Canes or Panthers to Hartford or Quebec, or even Vegas?

Extension of this thread I made two days ago. Only difference is now you can choose ANY relocation to prevent.

Personally, I would stop the Browns move to Baltimore. I wonder if the Browns would have won a championship?

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

THE NORTH STARS. People talk about how the Supersonics had their team ripped away, but that's what happened to Minnesota. I know that we have the Wild now, and I love this team, but a piece of Minnesota Hockey History was ripped away, and moved to Dallas of all places... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived