Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The name of the holding company / ownership group doesn't necessarily have anything at all to do with the team name. 

A few years ago True North Sports & Entertainment was hiring people for their hockey operation. The operation that became known as the Jets. Not the "True Norths". 

So while the name might end up being black Knights (doubtful tho) that job posting is absolutely meaningless. 

That was a different situation.  True North owned an AHL team called the Manitoba Moose and did not own rights to the "Winnipeg Jets" name when the company was formed (I believe it would have stayed with Phoenix Coyotes when they moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix).  So, in that situation, having a more bland, corporate name made sense.   Especially considering minor league teams move more frequently, it would not have made sense to name the company after the Moose, either.  

"Black Knights" does seem to be more of a team name than a corporate name (True North, Orca Bay, etc.).  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, SJAnfield said:

Atoms peaks my interest. I can see a retro 50s style logo/set. I think it would fit Vegas. 

I'm getting a Fallout vibe off that idea.

7 hours ago, ec5 said:

That was a different situation.  True North owned an AHL team called the Manitoba Moose and did not own rights to the "Winnipeg Jets" name when the company was formed (I believe it would have stayed with Phoenix Coyotes when they moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix).  So, in that situation, having a more bland, corporate name made sense.   Especially considering minor league teams move more frequently, it would not have made sense to name the company after the Moose, either.  

"Black Knights" does seem to be more of a team name than a corporate name (True North, Orca Bay, etc.).  

Foley has also named other Companiea "Black Knight (insert rest of company name here)" on at least two other occasions. He's a West Point grad, and is gaga for the Black Knights identity. Like others have said, he's been open about that being his preference, but it is not a done deal, and the minor hissy fit he threw in an interview, last month indicates he couldn't make the team name "Black Knights."

Some of us on here, myself included, have been following this process closely. A guy sharing a job posting literally adds no information we didn't already have. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

23 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

I'm with you BeerGuy...

I've always felt that a "winged Ace" logo would, not only be a great hockey logo, but also a cool "guys" logo, whether one was a hockey fan or not.

It suggests speed, excellence, courage, daring, and has a tad of "bad-ass" in it...perfect for Vegas hockey.

Besides a whiskey glass, imagine it on a classic car...a motorcycle helmet...as a tattoo...as a ring...as a belt buckle...

eta02.jpg

Hell... I'd put it on my 'Vette...(if I had one).

Man I really hope you're peppering Foley and the folks at Black Knight Sports with all of this stuff.  These are great. 

To be honest, one of the other issues with "black knights" is that branding would have a shelf life of what...2 years after Foley ran out of money and had to unload the team?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Atoms doesn't flow well, but it's far and away better than the alternatives. 

Lots of opportunity to be creative with the design - as long as they back away from black as the main color. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Mr. Foley was on Las vegas radio this aft.

He verified that "Black Knights" will not be the name.

He also mentioned that one of the final four will be an animal "or a bird".

One of the names still was awaiting clearance from the NHL.

If I could read between the lines, I'd say a variation of "Knights"...

So...(my guess)...

-Neon Knights

-Silver Knights

-Scorpions or Peregrines

-Aces ;)...or just Knights.

1 hour ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Mr. Foley was on Las vegas radio this aft.

He verified that "Black Knights" will not be the name.

He also mentioned that one of the final four will be an animal "or a bird".

One of the names still was awaiting clearance from the NHL.

If I could read between the lines, I'd say a variation of "Knights"...

So...(my guess)...

-Neon Knights

-Silver Knights

-Scorpions or Peregrines

-Aces ;)...or just Knights.

I've always thought that Peregrines would make a great team name. I can't think of what other bird it might be, and still be original. I do think the NHL might shoot it down for being too much like Penguins, at a glance. (A dumb reason, I know, but just the kind of dumb the league likes to embrace).

Roadrunners is, assumably, out for AHL reasons. I would hope Falcons, Eagles and Hawks would be avoided. Vultures and Buzzards would not be the kind of message you'd want to send. 

I'm still guessing Knights (assuming the NHL is willing to step in and help with London), Neon/Silver Knights, Outlaws/Wranglers/Renegades (etc), and the animal/bird name. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

My understanding is that Foley specifically mentioned Peregrines in the radio interview.  While certainly unique, I don't think "Las Vegas Peregrines" is a great name.  It's better than some of the other names being floated around, but personally I'd take the more generic Falcons over Peregrines.

For my money, though, give me the Neon Knights.  Why not?  I like the idea of one team in each league going a little out there with the colors and identity (e.g., Seahawks green, Diamondbacks turquoise, Atlanta Hawks green, etc.).  Navy blue, cyan, magenta, and silver would be beautiful.  Silver knight helmet logo with cyan highlights and navy shading, a magenta plume, with a navy base/outline.  Cyan home jersey, white away, silver alternate (think Kings SS jersey) when the time comes.  Striping mainly navy, cyan, silver, and white, with magenta reserved for a relatively thin accent stripe.  Maybe something like how the 2007-2014 Anaheim Ducks used orange.

20 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

I just read an article that says the Las Vegas newspaper has compiled the top candidates for a name: Infantry, Cavalry, Storm, Atoms, and Commandos. Can't say I like any of them.

Was that the Steve Carp article in the Review Journal? That was his suggestions more than actual names being considered.

Texas.gif

Peregrines sounds way too much like Thrashers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

7 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Peregrines sounds way too much like Thrashers.

Yep, it's a really specific bird that sounds/is tough but too few people know what it is to avoid the need for that kind of brand education that so rarely truly takes hold (see: Blue Jackets)

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Just now, Boyeeism said:

I think Bunny Ranchers, Gamblers, DeaIers, Blackjacks, Spades,and Sin would be the best team names.

:rolleyes: People are still making these jokes. Go back under your rock already.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

Yep, it's a really specific bird that sounds/is tough but too few people know what it is to avoid the need for that kind of brand education that so rarely truly takes hold (see: Blue Jackets)

d

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

Peregrine Falcons is Unlikely, but they could go by Ranchers after the Bunny Ranchs.

So after hearing that bird is on the list of the final four, I went and searched list of birds of Nevada on wikipedia. if it Las Vegas Peregrines in the black, gold, gray/silver color scheme I would say may be hard to trademark, as the average consumer would probably confuse it with the Pittsburgh Penguins; especially if Pittsburgh is returning to the brighter gold they wore in the playoffs. 

This concept is cool, though.

If they want something out there like Neon Knight, the Las Vegas Loons.  From my understanding a Loon is an aquatic bird.  Las Vegas could sign free agents for a line of enforcers and yes, yes they would definitely garner the nickname the Looney Goons.  Um, okay maybe Loons is the best name after all...:D

Other name ideas for kicks:

Las Vegas Lumberjacks

Sure, it's the desert, but oh well Lumberjacks are strong and if we end up moving to Seattle... boom no renaming required.  

Las Vegas Lions

Yeah, the MGM is represented by a Lion, but we're in a rush, give us Lions or give us Black Knights.

Las Vegas Falcons.

Deal with it Atlanta.

Las Vegas Eagles 

What's up Philadelphia?

Las Vegas Outlaws

Maybe the fourth/fifth time is a charm.

Las Vegas Wranglers

Alternate uniform: Denim jacket with Wrangler Jeans as hockey pants.  Cowboy hat styled hockey helmet.

Las Vegas Vaqueros 

Might actually this works. 

Seriously though, pick something Foley.  

On 8/5/2016 at 5:21 PM, M4One said:

It might not be Knights after all, thanks to the OHL London Knights who own the rights to use the name in Canada.  Apparently, Las Vegas wouldn't be allowed to use the name in Canada, only in the U.S. unless they wanted to pay up.  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/las-vegas-nhl-name-search-complicated-london-knights/

They're not going to let some two-bit minor league team tell they they can't use a name. A couple of C+ law school grad students can make the London Knights tuck their tails and apologize with one or two billable hours of work and a cease and desist letter or two.

Neon Knights would be great, but in another 5-10 years, nobody is even going to remember what neon was - let alone support such an outdated moniker. 

Archived