Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

1 hour ago, worcat said:

Those hoping the Vegas team doesn't adopt the Ducks color palette and become a rip off and hoping they have a unique color scheme....

remember when the ducks had a unique color scheme and decided to just throw it in the trash. Oh ok. 

Vegas will be unique I'm sure. Just because a team uses black and a variety of another teams color doesn't mean it's a direct rip off.

To be fair, the Ducks rebrand was very similar to the Penguins at the time. So the Knights could be a rip off of a rip off :P

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this isn't a nightmare but I still can't believe Las Vegas is getting an NHL team. What happened to Quebec,Hamilton or Seattle. They would be much better for the league. I'm from New Jersey and I can't believe how Canada got screwed out of getting another team. Sorry, just ranting!

14 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

To be fair, the Ducks rebrand was very similar to the Penguins at the time. So the Knights could be a rip off of a rip off :P

And Brian Burke had the same hard-on for making the team look like West Point that Foley does, thus resulting in a similar color scheme!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

12 minutes ago, joekono said:

I know this isn't a nightmare but I still can't believe Las Vegas is getting an NHL team. What happened to Quebec,Hamilton or Seattle. They would be much better for the league. I'm from New Jersey and I can't believe how Canada got screwed out of getting another team. Sorry, just ranting!

They didn't want to risk the Quebec team losing money because the Canadian dollar was losing value. I was shocked, too, that Las Vegas received a team before Quebec. I think with the NHL at 31 teams, they'll want to add another team and I think they'll put a team in Quebec. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

25 minutes ago, joekono said:

Ill tell ya why

cc84589b1d47a8f9dfc815dcda4b4957.jpg

sig.png

17 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

They didn't want to risk the Quebec team losing money because the Canadian dollar was losing value. I was shocked, too, that Las Vegas received a team before Quebec. I think with the NHL at 31 teams, they'll want to add another team and I think they'll put a team in Quebec. 

That is, if Quebecor doesn't just buy the Hurricanes...

bYhYmxh.png

4 hours ago, MEANS said:

@jmac11281 your opinion is based on seeing nothing, so yes one could say that's immature.

I'm really not comfortable with insulting other posters.

Besides, we haven't seen the logo but we've seen some indications so far. The unveiling invitation graphic gives us clues, as has the owner himself.  Enough to form a final opinion?  No, probably not.  But enough to form a preliminary one?  Or at least to have a sense of where the process is going?  Absolutely. 

6 hours ago, MEANS said:

actually you said it would be 100 times better. Look I know everyone wants to see the new identity but the general "I know it's gonna suck/it's a rip off" attitude based off a flyer and some other quotes without EVEN SEEING THE IDENTITY is what makes this place really frustrating and quite frankly immature sometimes. 

This is a message board dedicated to critiquing sports identities and the design process behind them. The two of them go hand-in-hand. Neither is immune from criticism and there is a lot of background information that can lead to an informed idea without actually seeing the finished product. Sure, a lot of the criticism may turn out to be misinformed but not all of it will be off-base like you're asserting.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

51 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I'm really not comfortable with insulting other posters.

Besides, we haven't seen the logo but we've seen some indications so far. The unveiling invitation graphic gives us clues, as has the owner himself.  Enough to form a final opinion?  No, probably not.  But enough to form a preliminary one?  Or at least to have a sense of where the process is going?  Absolutely. 

38 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

This is a message board dedicated to critiquing sports identities and the design process behind them. The two of them go hand-in-hand. Neither is immune from criticism and there is a lot of background information that can lead to an informed idea without actually seeing the finished product. Sure, a lot of the criticism may turn out to be misinformed but not all of it will be off-base like you're asserting.

This was my whole point. We know the direction that Foley and the new identity is heading. Maybe not all of the specifics but at least an idea. Hey, we could all still be surprised but it's not very likely.

Before anyone posts this claiming it's the new logo, it has already been debunked by a few as nothing more than a fan concept:

Cx0PyykWEAIjYKh.jpg 

At first glance I like it, but after looking at it carefully I'm glad it's not the logo because I'm getting a strong Marvin the Martian vibe from this, especially the eye.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

4 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Before anyone posts this claiming it's the new logo, it has already been debunked by a few as nothing more than a fan concept:

Cx0PyykWEAIjYKh.jpg 

At first glance I like it, but after looking at it carefully I'm glad it's not the logo because I'm getting a strong Marvin the Martian vibe from this, especially the eye.

Maybe it could've gotten Patrick Lalime to come out of retirement?

Veteran-goaltender-Patrick-Lalime-retirelalime.jpgpatrick-lalime-chicago-mask.jpg5133739.bin.jpg

bYhYmxh.png

Check out the wordmark at the end of that teaser video. That's the font Reebok uses for all of their NHL workout gear.  The fact that it says "Vegas Hockey" and not "Las Vegas Hockey" leads me to believe we'll be getting the "Vegas___ Knights" tomorrow, which is pretty much the worst possible outcome. 

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

17 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Check out the wordmark at the end of that teaser video. That's the font Reebok uses for all of their NHL workout gear.  The fact that it says "Vegas Hockey" and not "Las Vegas Hockey" leads me to believe we'll be getting the "Vegas___ Knights" tomorrow, which is pretty much the worst possible outcome. 

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. I hope other teams don't follow suit. I'd prefer not having to watch the 'Jose Sharks.

I look forward to the next six years of concepts on here that are miles better than whatever they release tomorrow.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I think you're all getting a little too ahead of yourselves if you think established teams are going to start shortening their names.

Vegas _ Knights is fine. I hear just as many people say "I'm going to Vegas" as I do "I'm going to Las Vegas". Not a big deal.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

People also say "I'm going to TO" or "I'm going to the six" when they go to Toronto. 

Doesn't mean the Maple Leafs should adopt either moniker. 

I hate the 6ix moniker myself. TO forever and always. 

I just want a logo, dammit. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

3 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Cx0PyykWEAIjYKh.jpg 

Isn't it lovely? The colors are nice and the logo's well-done. Even if it's supposed to be Black/Gold, I'm seeing Black/Copper, which would be a beautiful color scheme.

That said, it does look more minor-league whimsical than top-tier team material. If I ever get into fantasy hockey or ever did a Solar System/sci-fi hockey series, I'd likely ask permission to use this logo for the Mars team (or otherwise one named the Martians). Replace the cacti and background with craters/rovers and possibly Olympus Mons (largest mountain known in the Solar System), and let's have 2 moons in the sky. OK, I'm rambling a bit.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived