2016 MLB Post Season Thread

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I said it at the beginning of the year, and I'll say it again. Dusty Baker was an absolute JOKE of a hire. Nobody is ever gonna win with that clown in charge. 

Was just gonna throw out - how many weeks until he's canned?  It would seem he did absolutely nothing to help (nor hurt) anything they hadn't already (under)achieved.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

9 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

Man Clayton is a warrior there aren't many starters that have the balls to do that, madbum is the only other guy I can think of.  It's also very cool to see two of the best young players playing in this next series, it's gonna be fun!

I would have to agree. Giants should've done that in Game 4 against the Cubs. Bring out Bum or Cueto not the misfits of science called the Giants bullpen.

32 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Another shortened autumn for Strasburg to rest his future arm.

That decision is something that could haunt the organization for decades.

Dave Roberts this spring, on Bruce Bochy: "I definitely got a few tricks up my sleeve that he taught me, whether he knows it or not."

The Cubs are in deep trouble.

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

From an aesthetic standpoint, I want the Dodgers to take this. Everything about the Nats' identity chaps my ass so hard: red as a base color instead of navy blue, the embrace of the curly W over the interlocking DC, abandoning the beautiful Art-Deco-public-works wordmarks for a boring script and the curly W on the uniforms, dropping the gold beveling on the numbers only to keep varsity serif to be all thick and ugly without it.

And that's just the uniforms! Nationals Park sucks too. Here they had the opportunity to build a graceful contemporary stadium that eschewed all the neo-retro trappings for some nice symmetry and sensible curves and angles, but then they went and put in stupid haphazard outfield dimensions instead of a traditional symmetrical curve like RFK had. The stone on the backstop is nice and unique but for "NATIONALS PARK" in ugly type sitting on a shelf. Even the name is as desultory as can be, eschewing naming rights but not even coming up with a memorable name like Camden Yards.

We gave up the Montreal Expos for this?

Nah, Washington jerseys are awesome.  curly W craps all over the interlocking DC. W is just as good as A´s, LA, and many other teams logo´s

4 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I said it at the beginning of the year, and I'll say it again. Dusty Baker was an absolute JOKE of a hire. Nobody is ever gonna win with that clown in charge. 

He still was an upgrade over Matt Williams. Literally, anyone would have been.

Managers don't matter THAT much in baseball- consider Ned Yost has as many WS rings as Earl Weaver and Bobby Cox.

Ned Yost is a clown of a manager who just happened to fall into an all-time bullpen and a lineup that didn't quit.

4 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Was just gonna throw out - how many weeks until he's canned?  It would seem he did absolutely nothing to help (nor hurt) anything they hadn't already (under)achieved.

Other than using too many bullpen guys in game 5, he didn't do anything egresiously awful this series.

Let's take a look at Dusty Baker in the playoffs. 

Playoff record is 21-29, which on the surface isn't that bad. Getting to manage 50 playoff games is a lot more than most managers, but then you look specifically at games in which his team can clinch a series and he's 3-12, including 9 straight losses, which is a winning percentage of just 20% and the last time he won a game like that was 13 years ago. 

Also 2-5 record in do or die elimination games - 2002 NLDS and 2003 NLDS went his way. In every other case he's lost: 2002 World Series Game 7, 2003 NLCS Game 7, 2012 NLDS Game 5, 2013 Wildcard, 2016 NLDS Game 5

How much do managers matter is a big topic of conversation in baseball circles. In Dusty's case that record is bad enough where you can say he has some mathematical negative influence on his team's chances to win that game. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Playoff record is 21-29, which on the surface isn't that bad. Getting to manage 50 playoff games is a lot more than most managers, but then you look specifically at games in which his team can clinch a series and he's 3-12, including 9 straight losses, which is a winning percentage of just 20% and the last time he won a game like that was 13 years ago. 

Also 2-5 record in do or die elimination games - 2002 NLDS and 2003 NLDS went his way. In every other case he's lost: 2002 World Series Game 7, 2003 NLCS Game 7, 2012 NLDS Game 5, 2013 Wildcard, 2016 NLDS Game 5

How much do managers matter is a big topic of conversation in baseball circles. In Dusty's case that record is bad enough where you can say he has some mathematical negative influence on his team's chances to win that game. 

Bud Black is laughing his ass off right now. Bud Black made some seriously subpar Padres teams look mildly competitive, imagine what he could do with a team that had actual talent! Maybe he'll be good in the playoffs, who knows. He'd still be better than Dusty.

Speaking of said talent, I do hope Bryce's decline doesn't continue into next season. I like the guy, and the offseason can give him some serious rest time. Strasburg can come back and pitch a full season, Scherzer will probably continue his success, and they'll still contend for the NL East title.

Harper had to be playing with an injured shoulder for the entire season. I don't think someone with his level of talent would just deteriorate like that out of nowhere at age 23, without some sort of physical issue. Think the shoulder clearly messed with his swing mechanics.

I really hope he can rehab the shoulder fully over the offseason and be at 100% by opening day - baseball could use more exciting young stars like him.

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Speaking as a Caps fan, I think that DC-area sports teams have a deep, ingrained need to be disappointing when it comes to crunch time.  All four of Washington's major sports teams are reasonably competitive, and yet none of them have won a title since the NFL Franchise back in 1992.  Otherwise, how can you explain the hire of a manager who is known to choke in the playoffs for a team that has title aspirations?

spacer.png

Jays 'deserved' not to win that game.  Looking & complaining about the same expanded strike zone all bloody game... yeah, that's productive.  

I say deserved in jest because they'd set themselves up fairly well early on.  Couldn't drive a soul in.

Estrada is awesome.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

20 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

In case anyone needed any reminding, Andrew Miller is really good. 

...yeah.

The Blue Jays deserve to be down 2-0 after this pathetic offensive effort the past two games. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I'm not sure what's going on with Maeda, but the guy's got a bad tendency of getting shelled on two-strike pitches. He's pretty darn good on any other count - at times even filthy - but just loses it when he needs it most. It killed him vs. Washington and its killing him now. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

At first I thought it was exhaustion for being a Japanese pitcher moving to bigs like most do, but doesn't appear to be the case it is probably safe to say he won't start again this post season I see uris taking his spot from now on. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Archived