NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

It's actually Nebraska.

ff_878769_xl.jpg&w=600IMG_8655.PNG

Again, that's a rather lazy comparison, and so is comparing it to Wisconsin as well. There's more to a uniform than just the jersey, and the gold helmet and pants, arguably the most iconic parts of the 49ers on-field identity, will quite clearly still make the uniform look distinctly 49ers, and nothing like the Cornhuskers or Badgers.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Interesting. So we were right last night. This was posted on uniwatch today.

https://www.lids.com/san-francisco-49ers-carlos-hyde-nike-nfl-mens-vapor-untouchable-limited-jersey/20895663

I definitely call this an upgrade over their previous awful stripes. Would prefer the three stripes but this is nonetheless better. I wonder if Nike suggested the change given it used to look like adidas?

IMG_8655.PNG

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

In a vacuum, the 49ers upgraded.  But I have two issues with it. First, they look like Nebraska now.  Second, they've used three stripes for along time.  For those two reasons, I'd rather they just have left it alone with the disappearing stripes.

I don't get this at all.  In my opinion, the three stripes on the 49ers jersey are iconic at this point.  They have been around since 1951 (which is longer than the 49ers gold helmets).

1951_SanFrancisco.png

If there was a concern about the truncated stripes, find another solution.  No one can easily fit three stripes on what is left of the sleeves of football jerseys, but the Lions, Giants, Packers, Steelers, Bills, Dolphins (throwbacks) and Bears (with the same pattern in different colors) all manage to fit three (or more) stripes on what is left.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

8 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

If there was a concern about the truncated stripes, find another solution.  No one can easily fit three stripes on what is left of the sleeves of football jerseys, but the Lions, Giants, Packers, Steelers, Bills, Dolphins (throwbacks) and Bears (with the same pattern in different colors) all manage to fit three (or more) stripes on what is left.

I mean, technically they have three stripes, but it's supposed to be five. Nike muddled the whole thing in 2012:

Image result for 2012 steelers uniform

NSFCvyu.png

5 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

I mean, technically they have three stripes, but it's supposed to be five. Nike muddled the whole thing in 2012:

Image result for 2012 steelers uniform

Fair enough.  In that case, we'll look to the right of the picture. . . at the Browns throwback with five stripes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

47 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Again, that's a rather lazy comparison, and so is comparing it to Wisconsin as well. There's more to a uniform than just the jersey, and the gold helmet and pants, arguably the most iconic parts of the 49ers on-field identity, will quite clearly still make the uniform look distinctly 49ers, and nothing like the Cornhuskers or Badgers.

Not being lazy at all. Being an observant designer. Wisconsin is close but Nebraska is closer with very similar numerals. The stripes are slight closer together for Nebraska but all in all it is quite a close match. Yes the full set will look different but my point was the jersey, for better or worse, is basically Nebraska's.   

1 minute ago, hawk36 said:

Not being lazy at all. Being an observant designer. Wisconsin is close but Nebraska is closer with very similar numerals. The stripes are slight closer together for Nebraska but all in all it is quite a close match. Yes the full set will look different but my point was the jersey, for better or worse, is basically Nebraska's.   

But does that really matter? The jersey, in it's intended usage, will always be paired with the gold helmets and pants, and the uniform as a whole won't bear any resemblance to either Wisconsin or Nebraska. The jersey isn't a standalone item except for in retail, so it's a pretty moot point. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

32 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

But does that really matter? The jersey, in it's intended usage, will always be paired with the gold helmets and pants, and the uniform as a whole won't bear any resemblance to either Wisconsin or Nebraska. The jersey isn't a standalone item except for in retail, so it's a pretty moot point. 

It matters only in that this is a board talking about sports uniforms, etc. I'm sure 90% of the public won't even think about it but it's many of our jobs to pay attention to details like this. 

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Interesting. So we were right last night. This was posted on uniwatch today.

https://www.lids.com/san-francisco-49ers-carlos-hyde-nike-nfl-mens-vapor-untouchable-limited-jersey/20895663

I definitely call this an upgrade over their previous awful stripes. Would prefer the three stripes but this is nonetheless better. I wonder if Nike suggested the change given it used to look like adidas?

IMG_8655.PNG

Ugh this team is so dumb. They finally go back to the dynasty uniforms, but inexplicably truncate the stripes so the bottom one is cut off. Their solution to that is stop truncating the stripes, but they drop one of them. 

So they've essentially matched their pants and helmet stripes, which would've been fine, I like that sort of consistency usually, but they established a handful of super bowl wins in the 3 stripe uniforms. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

It matters only in that this is a board talking about sports uniforms, etc. I'm sure 90% of the public won't even think about it but it's many of our jobs to pay attention to details like this. 

I'm well aware, and I'm a designer like you, but the jersey is intended to be worn as part of a uniform, not by itself. Like I said, the jersey isn't a standalone item except for in retail, so it shouldn't be judged as such. The jersey was designed with the rest of the uniform in mind, so it should be judged with the rest of the uniform in mind as well. And the jersey, when paired with the rest of the uniform, won't have a resemblance to Wisconsin or Nebraska.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

59 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

They have it on the old template, but it's probably an extra that they had around.

See - that's what I think when I see ANY of these draft photos. It's a staged photo, not necessarily an indication of what the team will be wearing in the regular season.  Most likely yes, but youneverknow.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I'd post it, but I'm afraid it'll stir up the community too much.

Wise decision. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I'm well aware, and I'm a designer like you, but the jersey is intended to be worn as part of a uniform, not by itself. Like I said, the jersey isn't a standalone item except for in retail, so it shouldn't be judged as such. The jersey was designed with the rest of the uniform in mind, so it should be judged with the rest of the uniform in mind as well. And the jersey, when paired with the rest of the uniform, won't have a resemblance to Wisconsin or Nebraska.

The problem with the second bolded phrase is that retail (i.e., fans buying and wearing jerseys) is a substantial part of what happens with jerseys now.  Presumably, the average fan won't be wearing the jersey with gold pants or a gold helmet (though khakis would basically match the 49ers pants, albeit without the stripes).  Therefore, there will be many occasions when the jersey is seen in isolation.

3 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

The problem with the second bolded phrase is that retail (i.e., fans buying and wearing jerseys) is a substantial part of what happens with jerseys now.  Presumably, the average fan won't be wearing the jersey with gold pants or a gold helmet (though khakis would basically match the 49ers pants, albeit without the stripes).  Therefore, there will be many occasions when the jersey is seen in isolation.

Of course, but the primary purpose of the jersey is still to be worn as part of the uniform. The rest of the uniform is taken into consideration when designing the jersey because that's its main intended purpose, not the retail side of it. Obviously that's still a part of it, and that's also taken into consideration, but not as much as the rest of uniform. And on here, I believe we shouldn't just judge the jerseys without taking into consideration the rest of the uniform as well, because then we're not judging them in the manner in which they'll actually appear on the field, which is still their primary purpose.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Of course, but the primary purpose of the jersey is still to be worn as part of the uniform. The rest of the uniform is taken into consideration when designing the jersey because that's its main intended purpose, not the retail side of it. Obviously that's still a part of it, and that's also taken into consideration, but not as much as the rest of uniform. And on here, I believe we shouldn't just judge the jerseys without taking into consideration the rest of the uniform as well, because then we're not judging them in the manner in which they'll actually appear on the field, which is still their primary purpose.

I agree with that.

My problem with the change isn't really that they now look like Nebraska or Wisconsin.  My problem is that they just tossed aside a 66-year tradition of having three sleeve stripes (or some semblance thereof) on at least their red jerseys.*

* -- The white jerseys had shoulder loops from 1958-63, while the red jerseys still had three sleeve stripes.

3 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Sure, but you seem to be ignoring the very major details of the gold helmets and pants. Which will keep the 49ers from looking anything like Nebraska or Wisconsin.

Also? Context matters. No one's going to see a fan in a white jersey with red numbers and stripes at a 49ers game and think "what's that guy doing in a Badgers jersey?!"

6 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

In a vacuum, the 49ers upgraded.  But I have two issues with it. First, they look like Nebraska now.  Second, they've used three stripes for along time.  For those two reasons, I'd rather they just have left it alone with the disappearing stripes.

Of course, I'd have loved to see them avoid the Nebraska problem by adding gold to the jersey.  It's always bugged me that the Niners either have to over-do it or under-do it.  Red and white only or black, gold, dropshadows, dark red, and a logo on top of the stripes.  If they were to take this updated jersey, add gold outlines to the number and a gold stripe between the two white lines, that would be really, really nice.

Have to agree. The style of the new stripes is an upgrade over the disappearing stripes. But all they had to do was put three on the new jersey to get it right... they didn't. At best it's a lateral move for me. They traded one mistake for another.

Archived