XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Tampa Bay touchdown that was called back shows why there should be no such thing as offensive pass interference. I wish the XFL had removed that nonsensical infraction from the rule book.

In exchange, should there be no Roughing the Passer?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Going for 3 while up 27-0 is an an unsportsmanlike attempt to run up the score. There's nothing wrong with them driving down the field and scoring touchdowns; but that 3 attempt is a bit much 

Somewhere, Woody Hayes is smiling. 

33 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

30,000 for Seattle in their home opener isn't too bad.  Isn't that how much the Sounders get?

Feels like the Sounders attendance is usually mentioned as being in the low 40Ks

Hotter Than July > Thriller

20 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Feels like the Sounders attendance is usually mentioned as being in the low 40Ks

Yeah. 40k for most games, up to 60+ for the few times a year they open the full stadium (Timbers, Galaxy, some other games).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

58 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Tampa Bay touchdown that was called back shows why there should be no such thing as offensive pass interference. I wish the XFL had removed that nonsensical infraction from the rule book.

Why do I feel like I disagree with literally every post you make?  How the hell is OPI a nonsensical infraction?  I think that both PIs should be called less often, but if you eliminate OPI, then there's no reason the receiver can't just throw the dback down to catch the pass, or shove him aside, or get involved with him to the point where it forces him to commit DPI just to get free.  

Why not go back to the grand old era before the forward pass was even invented?  Then there's no reason to even consider OPI.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

56 minutes ago, dfwabel said:
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Tampa Bay touchdown that was called back shows why there should be no such thing as offensive pass interference. 

In exchange, should there be no Roughing the Passer?

No deal. 

51 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I also vote to bring back clotheslining.

No to all forms of excessive violence. A big yes to advantages to the offence.

Underlying not having offensive pass interference is the simple fact that it's the offence's ball. So, when a pass is in the air, stricter restrictions ought to constrain the defensive player than the offensive player, who rightfully should be allowed to use his hands in ways that the defensive player cannot do.

@BringBackTheVet- if you eliminate OPI, then there's no reason the receiver can't just throw the dback down to catch the pass, or shove him aside, or get involved with him to the point where it forces him to commit DPI just to get free.

Note that, even without offensive pass interference, an offensive player could still be called for holding or tripping or any form of violent conduct. But removing offensive pass interference would allow that player to use his hands to push off or to give himself leverage on a jump.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just now, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

No deal. 

No to all forms of excessive violence. A big yes to advantages to the offence.

Underlying not having offensive pass interference is the simple fact that it's the offence's ball. So, when a pass is in the air, stricter restrictions ought to constrain the defensive player than the offensive player, who rightfully should be allowed to use his hands in ways that the defensive player cannot do.

Note that, even without offensive pass interference, an offensive player could still be called for holding or tripping or any form of violent conduct. But removing offensive pass interference would allow that player to use his hands to push off or to give himself leverage on a jump.

You know, I want to hold on to any remnant of defense like a guy losing his hair rapidly trying to make a combover work. You're a nice guy, but I gotta say, this idea is ridiculous. I don't want Arena Football on a field twice as long. 

10 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

You know, I want to hold on to any remnant of defense like a guy losing his hair rapidly trying to make a combover work. You're a nice guy, but I gotta say, this idea is ridiculous. I don't want Arena Football on a field twice as long. 

I don't want Arena Football on a big field, either. But seeing that Tampa Bay touchdown taken away is just so frustrating. That receiver didn't wrap up the DB or throw him to the ground; he just pushed off of him. The suggestion that that offensive player's actions on that play should be legal is perfectly sensible.

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't want Arena Football on a big field, either. But seeing that Tampa Bay touchdown taken away is just so frustrating. That receiver didn't wrap up the DB or throw him to the ground; he just pushed off of him. The suggestion that that offensive player's actions on that play should be legal is perfectly sensible.

I think there's a difference between getting rid of OPI and allowing players to push off.

It would be quite reasonable to allow a receiver to push off a defender to get a pass. Other actions that count in OPI should be kept though. 

Possible to only allow a push if the ball is within 5ish yards or in the air.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Just now, _J_ said:

I think there's a difference between getting rid of OPI and allowing players to push off.

It would be quite reasonable to allow a receiver to push off a defender to get a pass. Other actions that count in OPI should be kept though. 

I'd go for that.

Just now, _J_ said:

If the defender cannot touch/grab after 5 yards yet a receiver could?  Really?

If  receiver could push off, would he also be able to grab and force PI?  That's what you would see attempted.

5 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Vipers were screwed! Fight the power 🐍

Yeah, they were given Trestman as head coach. How did this guy win three Grey Cups?

The attendance in Tampa next week is going to be bad. Hopefully people were too busy watching the Lightning to see how bad the Vipers are. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Just now, See Red said:

Yeah, they were given Trestman as head coach. How did this guy win three Grey Cups?

He coached Montreal. I just assume his assistants coached in French and everyone ignored him.

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The clock stopping after every first down following the two minute warning doesn't make the game shorter.  

I think the intent is to let the QB get composure instead of rushing up to the line. 

Fox broke out cartoon picture for Silvers and had player headshots for some, but not all players for scoring plays.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived