XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

3 minutes ago, JLJ said:

Looks like it filled in a little more with the typical late LA arrivals, but still looks less than last week. Shame because their boys are putting in work. Looks like Winston Moss’ moves after week one are paying off.

Tampa has their second home game next week, I wonder how the drop off is going to be.  St. Louis too, but I would not expect much of a drop off for St. Louis.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So the XFL games on Fox are being used to promote the return of John Cena to WWE programming.  

Was John Cena there or did they just keep plugging that he was going to be on smack down, because they did the same thing during the NASCAR race.

23 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Where was this Wildcats team the first two weeks?

QB1 didn’t play week 1, and basically had his first real reps in week 2. And apparently their old defensive coordinator was holding them back as well. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Down a bit in LA this week.

I wasn't on here yesterday to post live, but was thrilled with the BattleHawks home opener. Not only did a former Colt run in the first ever home TD, but had some friends who were at the game and said the atmosphere and game were great.

Only complaint I heard was that concession locations were limited and understaffed, leading to a poor fan experience in that realm. My understanding, though, is that for St. Louis it's not the BattleHawks staffing those, but the St. Louis Convention/Visitors Bureau that is staffing those (and that gets to keep all of the concession revenue as well). My information on that doesn't come from any official source, though.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

14 hours ago, GDAWG said:

29,500 at the Dome today.  

The Dome was loud, though the energy seemed to wane a little as the game went on. Not as many "Kroenke Sucks" chants as I would have thought, which is good I think. The whole experience seemed more about enthusiasm for the BattleHawks (or maybe just enthusiasm about a tailgating event) than sticking it to the Stan.  

IceCap's observations from the Vipers game...

Crowd was fun. Kind of a different feel from the Apollos crowd (though I did see one Apollos t-shirt), but the differences were down to the fact that the Apollos were good and the Vipers suck. So there was that feeling of cynicism among the fans that I can't blame anyone for. Still a fun crowd to be in though. 

One minor complaint. My bf and I had no issues at the Apollos game. This time around? Well there was a female Sherif's deputy as part of the security detail on the field. And the drunken guys behind us kept yelling about the "lesbian sherif with :censored: envy." Not the best thing to hear when you're part of a gay couple, but eh. They shut up about eventually, and just started to complain about Marc Trestman (they were Bears fans). Otherwise it was a fun time in the stands. 

I'm not sure how it came off on tv, but the XFL needs to get out of NFL-sized stadiums. 18,000+ is a good number of the league, but you're very much aware you're in a mostly empty stadium. 

The XFL should strike up a deal with the Rowdies. A smaller stadium in either Tampa or St. Pete would make for a much better atmosphere. 

It also felt like the Vipers were squatters. The signage on the stadium's exterior was all Bucs-themed. The interior's signage was all Bucs-themed. The souvenir free refill cups were Buc-themed! 

I get it. This is the Bucs' stadium and they're not tearing everything down for a minor league team in a league that may not have staying power. 

It just furthers my point that they need to get into a smaller venue. 

If you all thought the "For the Love of Football" stuff was overplayed on tv? It's worse live.

The Vipers came out to John Cena's WWE theme. 

Repeating what I said in the XFL logo and uni thread? The Vipers seem to know the V logo sucks. The they use the snakehead alternate on A LOT of signage and merch. 

All in all? It was fun. And not a bad showing for the team in their first season. 

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Huh, HOU-TB averaged fewer viewers but peaked at a higher number near the end. Looks like the numbers are kinda stabilizing, though. That's a good sign.

A close game draws eyeballs and keeps them there. The STL peak was in the first half when the game went lopsided. Makes sense. 

As for the two week comparison for Saturday ABC games, 27-0 to 34-27. Makes sense more neutral fans would stick around. 

2 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Pretty good ratings in Ohio. Would love to see a team close by. Hoping if they do, it's at least in Columbus. I'll drive a 100 miles to watch XFL.

I was just going to say the same thing.  The Crew stadium would be a great home venue.

On 2/24/2020 at 4:40 PM, IceCap said:

The Vipers came out to John Cena's WWE theme. 

I realize this is far from the point but missed opportunity.

Use Orton's theme. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived