Classic Coral: Dolphins Tweak Colours for New Uniform

Skape7

2 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i should correct some fake news. the number font i proposed wasn't Nagurski, it was another one i built around the same time called "Otto" that i used for my Browns concepts and renamed "Csonka"

loDrABZ.png

also, after going back through some things i found this slide that i thought was still interesting. i love all of these uniforms and felt this was a good space for the Dolphins to be in.

HeHJKgP.jpg

the first font you shared with us (i'm guess that one WAS "Nagurski", if this latest one is "Otto"?) is an interesting font - and i like it.. my first thought was "Oregon State and Michigan number fonts had a baby".. anyway, i think on the areas where you have ANGLES, you could replace those with "smooth edges", and leave the areas where you have CORNERS, and it could possibly be something that could work well within the Dolphins' identity - considering the similar-ish characteristics of the current number font and wordmark... idk, just a thought.. you'd obviously be better able to bring that to fruition than i would..

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

When I said, "you just have to do it," I meant looking at something in the flesh. Sure Nike does "field tests" but we don't know if multiple designs are viewed or if its done in multiple light conditions, or with different athlete shapes and sizes, or its with 11 guys on the field. Maybe someone on these boards with knowledge can tell us?

pretty sure Nike will do most of those tests, though they used to be (while doing the Broncos and Oregon) more dedicated to matching colors (helmet to jersey) and getting details right than they are now. some things get overlooked these days. i dont know about having 11 uniforms lined up together though, ive never seen/heard any manufacturers doing that, but its always been something i try to imagine and i think seeing 53 Jaguars uniforms next to each other will really make that uniform more likable, to use as an example. its usually those minimal uniforms that really become strong when the team takes the field.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

15 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

pretty sure Nike will do most of those tests, though they used to be (while doing the Broncos and Oregon) more dedicated to matching colors (helmet to jersey) and getting details right than they are now. some things get overlooked these days. i dont know about having 11 uniforms lined up together though, ive never seen/heard any manufacturers doing that, but its always been something i try to imagine and i think seeing 53 Jaguars uniforms next to each other will really make that uniform more likable, to use as an example. its usually those minimal uniforms that really become strong when the team takes the field.

Cool info. The idea of 53 players lined up lends itself to certain design elements. For example, teams with horizontal striping (sleeves or socks) are interesting lined up since the stripes are all parallel to each other. Just look at this photo of the Bears huddled up for example. 

chicago-bears-huddle-rex-grossman-brings

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i should correct some fake news. the number font i proposed wasn't Nagurski, it was another one i built around the same time called "Otto" that i used for my Browns concepts and renamed "Csonka"

loDrABZ.png

Like the look of this except for the 4, why not a traditional closed 4? But this a nice modern take on a full block, kind of like the Jaguars new one (or at least what we've seen of it).

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

42 minutes ago, TornadoGTS said:

Like the look of this except for the 4, why not a traditional closed 4? But this a nice modern take on a full block, kind of like the Jaguars new one (or at least what we've seen of it).

with Otto Graham being the original inspiration, i felt like he was anything but traditional. hes still one of the best throwing/running threats at QB ever, a guy that could do it all so having a digit that was a bit unexpected seemed fitting. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

21 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

...single color numbers on the Vikes with up side down axes on the sleeves.... 

I can’t keep this straight. In one day, I’ve seen it’s a horn, it’s the bow of a ship, and it’s an axe. :lol:

19 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

loDrABZ.png

also, after going back through some things i found this slide that i thought was still interesting. i love all of these uniforms and felt this was a good space for the Dolphins to be in.

HeHJKgP.jpg

Thats an interesting style. I’m curious if the indent on the 3 is intentionally different from those on the 8. The 4 is polarizing, but I like that as long as you take the time to look at all the number pairs and nothing jumps out in a bad way. Have you considered a 4 that’s still open, but also has that familiar angle as a compromise between the two (see below for what I mean if I’m not explaining it well)?

hwl?set=sku%5B20985944%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B1

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Not a Dolphins fan by any means, but they have to be ranked as the Top 3 uniforms in the league now.  Just minor modifications make an average jersey look like a winner.  Makes me want to go buy one online, they are great.  Aqua and orange only you couldn't find a rarer, and more importantly a better color combo.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:58 AM, Fresno St. Alum said:

Question is do I buy a whole new Dolphins mini helmet to go w/ the Titans new one and Jags new one? I'm wondering if I take the orange stripe of their old mini helmet and cut it down the middle that would work, and also take the decals of the original Jags helmet and put the ones from the half&half helmet on it. Then I'd only need to get the Titans mini. Not sure I wanna swap out the Jags logos though since for thanksgiving and xmas weeks I set the matchups w/ the 80s and original Jags, Panthers helmets.

1 - The golds in the Jaguars logo are flip flopped, so the logo isn't the same. You need a new helmet.

2 - The Orange from the old Dolphin helmet isn't the same shade, nor the same width on the stripe (the new one is wider). You need a new helmet.

It's where I sit.

7 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

1 - The golds in the Jaguars logo are flip flopped, so the logo isn't the same. You need a new helmet.

2 - The Orange from the old Dolphin helmet isn't the same shade, nor the same width on the stripe (the new one is wider). You need a new helmet.

thanks, and dammit

On 4/22/2018 at 6:50 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Jacksonville-Jaguars-All-Black-Speed-Mini-Football-Helmet-New/362303338957?hash=item545af639cd:g:lMIAAOSwKOJa4PJ9

They are selling the new mini w/ the old light gold on top, dark gold on bottom. Did riddell not even notice? If they are getting them wrong anyway I might as well take that 2017 logo and slap it on a black helmet and call it done.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:50 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

It looks like they only flipped the golds on the helmet logo. Weird. I don't remember this being mentioned in the main Jaguars thread.

sTNYhPr.jpg

BFmYQt8.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• 2 weeks later...

Found a couple new images of the tweaked uniforms.

First, someone received their new replica jersey:

And here’s Danny Amendola in the home set:

swu9p0d.jpg

The Dolphins changes haven’t received the publicity of the Titans or Jags because they are so subtle, but man, what a world of difference they made. They truly look like the Dolphins again and feel a bit like a modern interpretation of the throwbacks with all the right colors and lack of dark blue. The simplicity does wonders here.

He's also wearing one of the least-offensive number combos.  Give him any of the other numbers and all of a sudden it doesn't look that great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Most offensive number combos: 14, 88, and 69

Unless this was an over-my-head joke, anything with a 7 also need to be included.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oh.  I'd never heard of 1488.

Archived