Gary.

2019 MLB Season

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

They traded a pitching prospect for him as well. Do they just think they can power their way through the playoffs?

 

This puts a negative spin on it, to say the least.

 

They traded a 19-year-old, someone they actually got from the Mariners organization a year or two ago for a pedestrian relief pitcher, who was considered a low-end top 30 organizational prospect. Needless to say, it's someone who was going to have zero impact on the big league roster this season in any capacity, and isn't the type of prospect who gets in the way of other, bigger trade discussions.

 

I was caught off-guard initially when I heard the news myself, and I didn't expect anything of the sort, but, frankly, it's a no-brainer for the Yankees if that's all the cost required. As far as their rotation goes, I do agree that they are still an arm short in an ideal and realistic world, and that's where their decision to pass on Keuchel is all the more headscratching. If you're front three in the playoffs is Severino, Paxton, and Tanaka, well, you can do a lot worse than that. But you still need a reliable #4. I'm not sure Jordan Montgomery is that guy yet, and even if he is, you're placing a lot of risk on a starting pitcher with only one year of experience, and zero playoff experience to speak of as well as coming off TJS, to be that #4 in the playoffs. And I'm highlighting Montgomery because Happ has been thoroughly unconvincing, and I'm afraid Sabathia might be washed up altogether at this point. Unless he really, really turns it around, I don't want Sabathia anywhere near the mound in any playoff games the Yankees might play. He's the worst pitcher on the staff right now and, at 39 with a knee condition, that doesn't point towards upward progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Reds swept the Astros with 3 one-run wins, which corrects a little for their absurdly bad record in one run games. Now it's just a bad record in one run games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albert Pujols is finally making his return to St. Louis tonight as a member of the Angels, which I'm actually pretty excited to see. During his press conference earlier, he said he's excited to see Mike Trout play in front of "real baseball fans".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shumway said:

Albert Pujols is finally making his return to St. Louis tonight as a member of the Angels, which I'm actually pretty excited to see. During his press conference earlier, he said he's excited to see Mike Trout play in front of "real baseball fans".

 

Just now? It's been like seven years. I know they are in opposite leagues, but how has he gone this long without facing the Cardinals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shumway said:

Albert Pujols is finally making his return to St. Louis tonight as a member of the Angels, which I'm actually pretty excited to see. During his press conference earlier, he said he's excited to see Mike Trout play in front of "real baseball fans".

 

I assume by real he means self absorbed fans who think they're special for clapping at things little league dads clap at too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

 

I assume by real he means self absorbed fans who think they're special for clapping at things little league dads clap at too.

Like their own jokes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phillies, once 11 over .500, are now just 2.  Lots of bullpen injuries, sure, but losing Andrew McCutchen has absolutely destroyed the team.  Nobody knows what position in the order they're going to bat form one day to the next, and players are being shifted all over the field.  This, after they had the exact same lineup for the first 30 or so games.

 

They're done, and will likely plummet all the way down to 5th, below Miami, as it's been shown that Miami is simply better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember when two-time world series champion Albert Pujols left St Louis and Cardinals fans acted like it was the same betrayal as when Lebron first left Cleveland? I guess 8 years will provide some clarity. Also, I cannot believe he's been on the Angels for 8 years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Remember when two-time world series champion Albert Pujols left St Louis and Cardinals fans acted like it was the same betrayal as when Lebron first left Cleveland? I guess 8 years will provide some clarity. Also, I cannot believe he's been on the Angels for 8 years.  

 

Probably helps that he fell off of a cliff when he left St. Louis.  If I were one of The Best Fans in Baseball, knowing that losing Pujols meant the Cardinals didn't have the worst contract in the league on their books would help me get over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, See Red said:

 

Probably helps that he fell off of a cliff when he left St. Louis.  If I were one of The Best Fans in Baseball, knowing that losing Pujols meant the Cardinals didn't have the worst contract in the league on their books would help me get over it.

 

While he clearly hasn't lived up to the contract and has severely declined, Pujols hasn't been quite as bad as it seems. He's put up 95+ RBI in 5 of the 7 full seasons (100+ in 4 of them). His average across the 7 seasons is just under .260, which again, is not the Albert Pujols the Angels signed up for, but not outright awful. Now, as an Angels fan, I'll 100% consider it a disappointment, if not a failure, but his down years are better than most players' down years. 

 

(Maybe I'm just trying to find some light in this whole thing :D )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shumway said:

 

While he clearly hasn't lived up to the contract and has severely declined, Pujols hasn't been quite as bad as it seems. He's put up 95+ RBI in 5 of the 7 full seasons (100+ in 4 of them). His average across the 7 seasons is just under .260, which again, is not the Albert Pujols the Angels signed up for, but not outright awful. Now, as an Angels fan, I'll 100% consider it a disappointment, if not a failure, but his down years are better than most players' down years. 

 

(Maybe I'm just trying to find some light in this whole thing :D )

 

That's fair.

 

Now do Josh Hamilton. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, See Red said:

 

That's fair.

 

Now do Josh Hamilton. 😀

Hard pass. I'll also pass on Steve Finley, Gary Matthews Jr., Vernon Wells, Matt Harvey, Matt Joyce and, in another year or so, Zack Cozart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shumway said:

Hard pass. I'll also pass on Steve Finley, Gary Matthews Jr., Vernon Wells, Matt Harvey, Matt Joyce and, in another year or so, Zack Cozart.

 

Don't forget scammer-at-large Byron Mclaughlin!

 

512+NsWoHTL._SY445_.jpg

 

It's a crazy story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shumway said:

 

While he clearly hasn't lived up to the contract and has severely declined, Pujols hasn't been quite as bad as it seems. He's put up 95+ RBI in 5 of the 7 full seasons (100+ in 4 of them). His average across the 7 seasons is just under .260, which again, is not the Albert Pujols the Angels signed up for, but not outright awful. Now, as an Angels fan, I'll 100% consider it a disappointment, if not a failure, but his down years are better than most players' down years. 

 

(Maybe I'm just trying to find some light in this whole thing :D )

 

You can thank Mike Scioscia's outdated managerial style for that. In one of those seasons - 2017 - he had 101 RBIs while putting up a .672 OPS. 

 

Only in his first season there was he still a solidly above average player, factoring in position. He's been average to below ever since, all things considered. Why he remained a 3/4 hole hitter all those years was a combination of, as I said, Scioscia being way behind the times, and reputation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

 

Just now? It's been like seven years. I know they are in opposite leagues, but how has he gone this long without facing the Cardinals?

 

Surprised me too. Seems interleague games are much less regular than I’d have expected when you actually look at the list: https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/head2head-games.cgi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Yankees set the record for most consecutive games hitting a home run with 28, passing the 2002 Texas Rangers

How completely expected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Mets incompetence costs then again. Their mgr pulls nearly-unhittable Vargas, despite only 77 pitches, also as part of double switch removed another good player. Phillies immediately start scoring runs and win in 10. 

 

The Phillies announcers were all dumfounded, and at one point nearly laughed that every move he made played right into the Phillies hands. They couldn’t touch Vargas. The reliever they put in even allowed their next batter to switch to left where he has more power, and he lines a double on first pitch. 

 

EDIT: just heard the radio broadcast. Larry Andersen literally called it an unintelligent move, after he stopped himself from saying stupid. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.