2019 MLB Season

Gary

Last night the Reds won a game to improve to 3 games under 500. Why is this of any significance? Because this season they were 0-9 when trying to go from 4 games under 500 to 3 games under 500. 

Derek Dietrich is on an unsustainable pace, but the guy's my new favorite player. More bat flips, more home run admiring, Clint Hurdle can eat a fart!

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Last night the Reds won a game to improve to 3 games under 500. Why is this of any significance? Because this season they were 0-9 when trying to go from 4 games under 500 to 3 games under 500. 

Derek Dietrich is on an unsustainable pace, but the guy's my new favorite player. More bat flips, more home run admiring, Clint Hurdle can eat a fart!

Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, and Derek Dietrich...?

I'll say this, the Marlins sure have been a good farm system for some teams.

The Nats just signed Jonny Venters to a minor-league deal. From what I was reading earlier, he didn't perform very well for the Braves earlier this season, but at this point the Nats bullpen needs any and all possible help it can get. 

3 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, and Derek Dietrich...?

I'll say this, the Marlins sure have been a good farm system for some teams.

JT Realmuto? Dude has been way better than advertised. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you’ve got a subscription to The Athletic there’s an article there about this very subject. That the marlins have seemingly missed on every single trade in the last five years. Long story short - they’d be projected as a 102 win team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

If you’ve got a subscription to The Athletic there’s an article there about this very subject. That the marlins have seemingly missed on every single trade in the last five years. Long story short - they’d be projected as a 102 win team.

I haven't read the article and don't know if it covers this, but the main problem was that the Marlins had a tendency to trade away promising young talent mid-season to make a desperate attempt to be in contention. This is basically what happened when they traded away Castillo (twice) and Paddack in deals that were clearly foolish from the second they were made. The Marlins had a decent track record of drafting players, but the front office, probably with their hand forced by Loria himself, often dumped them for garbage veterans.

I hope the article mentions that in addition to Castillo and Paddack, the Marlins also traded away Trevor Williams to the Pirates for a PITCHING COACH.

Imagine if the Marlins had a rotation of Caleb Smith, Castillo, Paddack, and Williams right now.

So while the Marlins could acquire good talent, they had no sense of value. Unless a player was high up on the Baseball America prospect list, the team didn't value them much. The Marlins (and they still do under Jeter) overvalue some of their overachieving players, especially relief pitchers, and hold on to them instead of trading when the iron is hot.

11 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

If Marlins had any competent ownership/management they could have been the next baseball dynasty. 🤣

The Marlins not only had the best outfield in baseball in 2017. It’s arguably the best starting outfield trio over the last 30+ years.

If you average out what Ozuna, Yelich, and Stanton did that year, you end up with a .292 hitter to go with 38 home runs. And all three players were under 30 to boot.

The last outfield I can think of that combined that much talent with that type of youth was the ‘94 Expos trio of Alou, Grissom, and Walker.

People wonder why the Marlins have no fans. I look at situations like that and wonder why they have any.

I thought getting rid of Loria and his idiot son-in-law would turn the team around. Instead, it’s been meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Phillies probably getting Jay Bruce. Not sure if he’s a starter or a platoon guy. Not familiar with him but his average sucks, tho he has a lot of HR. 

This would move McCutchen to CF, with Either Bruce or a platoon of Bruce and Scott Kingery in left. Not sure how I feel about that alignment. 

Also they’re using their only left handed arm (a bullpen guy) as an “opener” tonight. I like the concept in theory, but don’t you then just have to put righties that aren’t good in after the 2nd inning? 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Also they’re using their only left handed arm (a bullpen guy) as an “opener” tonight. I like the concept in theory, but don’t you then just have to put righties that aren’t good in after the 2nd inning? 

Expect Chris Taylor and David Freese to start and immediately get pulled when the bullpen comes in, as is Dodger tradition.

VmWIn6B.png

On 6/1/2019 at 5:55 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Phillies probably getting Jay Bruce. Not sure if he’s a starter or a platoon guy. Not familiar with him but his average sucks, tho he has a lot of HR. 

This would move McCutchen to CF, with Either Bruce or a platoon of Bruce and Scott Kingery in left. Not sure how I feel about that alignment. 

McCutchen is now out for the season with an ACL tear, so Bruce will likely stay at CF I assume.

Phillies season is ovah. 

McCutchen, arguably their sparkplug and definitely a key player, out for the year. With Herrera likely done with the team, and Scott Kingery now taking more reps at 3rd than OF or 2b, that leaves them with a rookie making his debut tonight as the every day CF, Jay Bruce as every day LF, Scott Kingery slowly taking over at 3rd, and absolutely no bench. 

Congrats, Braves. 

11 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Is anyone in the NL West even trying to upend the Dodgers?

Pretty hard when the Dodgers are on this unprecedented run. The Padres are a game over .500 and the Rockies are 3, and even then they're both double digits behind LA, who's run differential is at 105, the Cubs have the second best run diff in the NL at 56. The only thing I can see being the Dodger's Achilles heel is their bullpen, who posted something like a 7+ ERA last week

spacer.png

Archived