MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

You're missing the best one!

spacer.png

Those were great! But I've been buying shirts as they go on sale; I don't think those black shirts ever hit deep discount.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Digby said:

This thread diversion has been a nice reminder of how consistently awful Seattle’s uniforms have been. So close yet so far to a perfect brand!

I'll admit they've had plenty of misses but gosh I really loved this one

Image result for seattle sounders 2013 kit

4 hours ago, radchad said:

I'll admit they've had plenty of misses but gosh I really loved this one

That's true! The mixed-stripe look was probably my favorite Seattle shirt, that or the heather navy one. I liked the NASL throwback, too.

But mostly I find Seattle repeatedly leans too heavily on basic designs dressed up with unpleasantly loud colors. Often reminds me of cheapo-brand Target fitness gear. (and I've complained before of how much I dislike their rave green color on the homes.)

There ought to be league bylaws against glow-in-the-dark green shorts.

16 hours ago, Digby said:

This thread diversion has been a nice reminder of how consistently awful Seattle’s uniforms have been. So close yet so far to a perfect brand!

:(

I see this opinion and agree to an extent: the crest is both uninspired and ugly and doesn't get the negative attention it deserves.

However, Seattle's winning culture and fanbase are generally annoyingly loud and abrasive, so it's really only fitting their uniforms are too.

I like their specific color of rave green, but I recognize it's not for everyone. However, I do think these are objectively nice uniforms:

ff_2716079alt1_full.jpg&w=900

ff_2348059alt1_full.jpg&w=600

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Personally hope red shorts remains an option for D.C United after this season. Unless of course DCU is one of the clubs Adidas grants permission to have third kits. In that case just bring back red thirds, and mix up the jersey/shorts/socks combo a couple times per season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

19 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I see this opinion and agree to an extent: the crest is both uninspired and ugly and doesn't get the negative attention it deserves.

However, Seattle's winning culture and fanbase are generally annoyingly loud and abrasive, so it's really only fitting their uniforms are too.

I like their specific color of rave green, but I recognize it's not for everyone. However, I do think these are objectively nice uniforms:

those are the ones I said I liked! They just need to stay away from using every unpleasant shade of green; often multiples at once.

i don’t know what to do about the crest. At least it’s not a roundel? But “annoyingly loud and abrasive” describes the whole thing accurately, yes.

Yeah, apparently a lot of the Sounders' aversive branding stems from the fact that, during the jump to MLS in 2009, the front office slapped the historic Sounders name on their generic crest that they designed for a name like "Alliance" or "Republic," both of which would require a loud obnoxious color as SOME form of brand identity.

If they had really recognized Seattle's attachment to the Sounders brand, maybe they would have reconsidered their approach, kept the old colors, and taken a classy route fit for a storied team (as the Timbers and Whitecaps would eventually do.)

And now the Sounders fanbase is used to the lime green.

23 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Now I can only hope for more throwback gear; at least they've started with that lately.

umDDfITl.png

Inter Miami CF Alters Logo to Embrace Social Distancing

"In the midst of a global pandemic and a nationwide pause on professional sports, Inter Miami CF has altered the club’s logo to separate the iconic great white herons, which are normally interlocked representing unity in our community, across its digital platforms to encourage social distancing."

5 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

umDDfITl.png

"In the midst of a global pandemic and a nationwide pause on professional sports, Inter Miami CF has altered the club’s logo to separate the iconic great white herons, which are normally interlocked representing unity in our community, across its digital platforms to encourage social distancing."

Now I want to see a Minnesota Twins logo where Minnie & Paul stand at opposite ends and give each other the Vulcan salute.

bYhYmxh.png

23 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

umDDfITl.png

Shouldn’t the interlocking feet mirror the standing foot of each heron? I always asssumed they were the same, just interlocking. This looks like they have claws longer than their toes

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• 2 weeks later...

One of my twitter friends got his hands on the MLS font and has been using it to make phone wallpapers for his friends.  

spacer.png

It gives us a good look at all the numbers.  Even at small size, each number is distinct and legible. 

spacer.png

I really like this.  The best font MLS has ever had (even if I do wish they were using the solid version for names).

1 hour ago, kmccarthy27 said:

Philadelphia Union is doing a "If we existed in 1996 what would our logo been" thing on Facebook, here is what they posted:

spacer.png

If they got rid of the spikes on the first one, that would actually be better than their current logo. The second one is also pretty good. The third is the only actually '90s-style one, and as such, is the worst.

the user formerly known as cdclt

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Check out the 1996 MLS media guide:

EU7YupmXsAANmi8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Source.

I can't believe how many things I hate about this.

The grunge-y brush script?

DC United's crest appearing out of alphabetical order?

That nobody caught the failed magic wand job to take the whitespace out of the Revolution word mark?

That I completely forgot Campos was ever in MLS?

1 hour ago, QCS said:

If they got rid of the spikes on the first one, that would actually be better than their current logo. The second one is also pretty good. The third is the only actually '90s-style one, and as such, is the worst.

This reinforces my belief that Philly's standalone shield/snake logo is far superior to their primary roundel

7826_philadelphia_union-secondary-2018.png

(although obviously the weird tail things should be removed)

^ Looks a little interstate shield-y, but I like it. (RIP the Philly chest stripe.) Good demonstration of the same problem that Miami failed to learn from a decade later; nothing wrong with a roundel, per se, but the insistence to shove everything inside of one runs the risk of detracting from what's best and most interesting about a team's brand.

Archived