2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-investigating-possibility-selling-ads-players-helmets/

This could be a harbinger of ad patches on the jerseys. I'm sure the league executives have taken notice of the revenue the NBA has brought in, along with how little most of the fans have cared.

26 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-investigating-possibility-selling-ads-players-helmets/

This could be a harbinger of ad patches on the jerseys. I'm sure the league executives have taken notice of the revenue the NBA has brought in, along with how little most of the fans have cared.

Wouldn't say that, necessarily; they're likely doing this as a way to mitigate losses this season as much as possible. The NHL has plenty of ad space on the playing surface, let alone through TV broadcast. It's how you get your "*sponsor name* Play of the Game" or "*sponsor name* Power Play" and such.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Wouldn't say that, necessarily; they're likely doing this as a way to mitigate losses this season as much as possible. The NHL has plenty of ad space on the playing surface, let alone through TV broadcast. It's how you get your "*sponsor name* Play of the Game" or "*sponsor name* Power Play" and such.

The pandemic is definitely influencing the thought process, but that doesn't really contradict my point. The Athletic posted an article today talking about what a success the jersey patch program has been for the NBA. They talk about how much more value a jersey ad has compared to traditional sponsorship inventory:

“The jersey patch is more of a social asset than a television asset,” said Adam Grossman, founder and CEO of Block Six Analytics that has analyzed jersey patch value. League and team accounts, and those owned by players, can get as many or more eyeballs than TV screens, he said.

“Those independent posts can get, at times, as high as the number of viewers and impressions as an entire game on television,” Grossman said. “Fans are spending every day, or portions, on social media. That’s a good way to reach NBA fans. You don’t have to mention the company in the post. You can see it in the image or video.”

I could live with sponsored helmet decals, but it isn't something that would be temporary until they've recovered from COVID. And once fans get used to it a patch on the jersey is probably inevitable. 

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Man I will just never understand the immense greed of  these people. What the hell is wrong with them?

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It's called "tumbling league finances".

But once Covid season is over, nobody wants to see that any more. And besides, where do you put the sponsor ads anyway? Helmets don't work since all of the space is bought out by CCM. And putting it as a shoulder patch is even worse. This move should be temporary but not permanent.

49 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I could live with sponsored helmet decals, but it isn't something that would be temporary until they've recovered from COVID. And once fans get used to it a patch on the jersey is probably inevitable. 

Then where would you put it? We're used to seeing clean jerseys in a century that putting an ad on a jersey is a sacrilege. The NHL isn't in Europe.

3 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

But once Covid season is over, nobody wants to see that any more. And besides, where do you put the sponsor ads anyway? Helmets don't work since all of the space is bought out by CCM. And putting it as a shoulder patch is even worse. This move should be temporary but not permanent.

Just like they do in the AHL, put them in place of the team logo.

The team logo was not always on the side of the helmet.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-7.41.42-AM.png

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The helmet is the least traditional piece of equipment anyways. I mean, there was a player who didn’t wear a helmet into the 90’s. And the AHL does it, and as long as it doesn’t stand out too much, it’ll be unnoticeable. Hopefully it is a one season, Covid boost thing, and not a permanent thing. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

The helmet is the least traditional piece of equipment anyways. I mean, there was a player who didn’t wear a helmet into the 90’s. And the AHL does it, and as long as it doesn’t stand out too much, it’ll be unnoticeable. Hopefully it is a one season, Covid boost thing, and not a permanent thing. 

Honestly, if the NHL doesnt go past what the AHL does it wont be the worst. Not ideal, of course, but not the absolute worst.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The NHL would not have to close its doors if they didn't put ads on the helmets. They're seizing the opportunity to slip in uniform ads when people would resist it the least, and getting the ball rolling on littering the jerseys and pants with advertisements .

44 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

it’ll be unnoticeable

Except when they show closeups of players, which happens about a hundred times a game

spacer.png

What's the general consensus on the Kings reverse retro? I wish the Kings would go back to purple and gold full time. It's a shame there isn't a full time purple team in the NHL plus I love the continuity with the Lakers. When a city owns a color scheme it's awesome to see it transcend across multiple sports teams

51 minutes ago, M4One said:

The side of the helmet would not look as bad, but putting it on the front gets the company more exposure.  Could end up being like international hockey.

spacer.png

That's the big problem here. If left unregulated, it'll be uglier to look at. The people who wanted ads on jerseys are the ones who didn't see the importance of tradition. It's heartbreaking.

11 hours ago, O.C.D said:

spacer.png

What's the general consensus on the Kings reverse retro? I wish the Kings would go back to purple and gold full time. It's a shame there isn't a full time purple team in the NHL plus I love the continuity with the Lakers. When a city owns a color scheme it's awesome to see it transcend across multiple sports teams

I'm a big fan of purple, but there's something about that logo in those colors that I just don't like. I think it's all that white. Perhaps it would look better if the white was gold and the gold was white.

ofMpoQJ.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

spacer.png

To me, the Kings are a black and silver team.  Their best years were in those colours and shouldn't change.  They do need to update their current home.  Maybe go back to Gretzky era jersey with different logo.  I am opposite of you in that I prefer teams in a city having their own colour.  With purple and yellow, those are Laker colours.  Blue for the Dodgers.  With the Raiders long gone, black and silver for the Kings.

As for the retro, I think the logo maybe should have been primarily yellow instead of white, otherwise it looks pretty good.

2 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I don't think the Kings should go back to purple and gold because all the success they've ever had has been in black, white and silver.  But damned if that isn't the best looking Kings jersey I've ever seen.  I see no reason why it can't be their full time alternate.

Archived