2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

From what I understand this recent releases are just for one year...but I think I remember reading that the program will renew next year with new designs. Could be totally off...

And I'm not sure if they'll be reused in 21-22 because of the shortened 20-21 season. 

In short, I dunno, but I'm fairly certain the premise is not just a one-year thing. 

I'm honestly not sure, either, but I would hope that teams are afforded the ability to keep their current RR or incorporate it into their jersey stable and go with something new. Good luck making all 31 do this exercise again. Isles gonna do a white version of the navy RR? 😄 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Not really. The contrasting nameplate on orange should be a signature design element.

The Flyers have been the league's only orange team for most of their history. Having a unique colour that they own is enough of a signature design element, so there's no need for some cheap gimmick like contrasting nameplates. It just looks like a bunch of kids on a peewee team whose moms accidentally sewed the away jersey nameplates onto their home jerseys.

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I remember when the rebrand was being talked about the rumored color scheme was black/orange/hunter green/silver. THAT color combination could have been just as popular as the original eggplant/teal/white. I've always thought ditching the hunter green was a big mistake.

RMOE7QK.png

Source: https://www.trucolor.net/portfolio/national-hockey-league-franchise-colors-1917-1918-through-present/

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 hour ago, NYRFan said:

I would hope that teams are afforded the ability to keep their current RR or incorporate it into their jersey stable and go with something new.

I'd like to see teams stick with 3 jerseys but it'd be great if teams had the option to elevate their RR's to alternate status.  Arizona's in particular would be perfect for the inevitable switch to the Kachina look, full-time.

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

I could see Colorado upgrading the RR Nords to full time alternate status.

Don't think so, honestly; their RR was probably a Nords jersey just because it fortuitously coincided with an anniversary season. Their current alternate's too popular amongst Colorado fans to drop.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

Don't think so, honestly; their RR was probably a Nords jersey just because it fortuitously coincided with an anniversary season. Their current alternate's too popular amongst Colorado fans to drop.

I would say the current alternates popularity is dwarfed by the Nords gear.

I totally get why people have been praising that Nordiques RR jersey, but without the original colors, it lost some of its charm to me. I know that the entire point of the RR program was to swap colors on the jersey, but something feels off with it to me. The blue numbers on the back feel out of place with the rest of the maroon gear. And quite honestly, I just miss that powder blue. It's nice to see the Nordiques logo again, but in Avs colors just doesn't do it for me. 

Its justified how jerseys like the Nordiques and Whalers and universally loved in the hockey community. They are simple yet unique. Real beauties. Which makes it suck a little more to see it worn in a different city by a team with a different name. I know its been talked about time and time again, but it's almost like saying "here is the jersey that this franchise used to wear before we relocated and crushed an entire fan base. It seems like the defunct jerseys that are loved the most, are the teams that we all know should have never moved in the first place - Nordiques, North Stars, Whalers, original Winnipeg Jets 

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

I'd like to see teams stick with 3 jerseys but it'd be great if teams had the option to elevate their RR's to alternate status.  Arizona's in particular would be perfect for the inevitable switch to the Kachina look, full-time.

I could see these reverse retros being elevated to permanent alt status:

Coyotes (assuming they revert to Kachina full time)

Flames (better alt than the red home jersey they just wore regularly for 13 years)

Panthers 

Rangers

Flyers

Knights (this would be an easier decision if not for the new gold alt)

Capitals (fingers crossed they use the screaming eagle but @ldconcepts has already told us about the new navy alt)

Jerseys that will probably go away after a year but shouldn't: Most of the RRs, tbh, but notably the Lightning, Devils, Blackhawks, Sabres, Wild, Canadiens.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Survival79 said:

I'm glad they didn't go with the blue they proposed.

ducks03_wmas9t4tbtft1ajf8xd4rfv1u.jpg?t=ducks02_1b1egfn8w5eph1w41cer6pkb6b.jpg?t

ducks05decoylogos_pcxxeigfz2k11qy4nn0zu3

ducks02_j5hp75o6deaz162oo2pjfahxa.jpg?t=

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Flyers have been the league's only orange team for most of their history. Having a unique colour that they own is enough of a signature design element, so there's no need for some cheap gimmick like contrasting nameplates. It just looks like a bunch of kids on a peewee team whose moms accidentally sewed the away jersey nameplates onto their home jerseys.

White on orange: not exactly the easiest to read

Black on white: THE easiest to read

I like what it adds. I think it suits the Flyers' aesthetic to slap the same nameplate on both sweaters. The Flyers are the NHL's closest thing to the Raiders (known for high offense and brutality in equal measure, always liked to do things their own way even when their own way was kind of stupid), so I think it ends up being no-nonsense the same way the silver and black is no-nonsense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

40 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I could see these reverse retros being elevated to permanent alt status:

Coyotes (assuming they revert to Kachina full time)

Flames (better alt than the red home jersey they just wore regularly for 13 years)

Panthers 

Rangers

Flyers

Knights (this would be an easier decision if not for the new gold alt)

Capitals (fingers crossed they use the screaming eagle but @ldconcepts has already told us about the new navy alt)

Jerseys that will probably go away after a year but shouldn't: Most of the RRs, tbh, but notably the Lightning, Devils, Blackhawks, Sabres, Wild, Canadiens.

I can't believe how much i love that green Devils jersey. I want to go a step further with the panthers and kings - those should be their primary unis

These should all be promoted to Alt status:

Bruins

Capitals

Coyotes (assuming they go back to Kachina full time)

Flames (cut the cord on the Reebok Edge jersey already)

Golden Knights (I actually like the gold ones, but these work just as well.

Kings

Panthers (put the new leaping cat on it if you must)

Rangers

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

Panthers (put the new leaping cat on it if you must)

Call me crazy for liking the current Panthers set, but this makes a nice trio (with the new cat on the front)

Panthers18.png

PanthersRR1.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived