2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

Businesses love discovering new revenue streams with no cost attached only to shelve them after a year or so, because why not?!

Next on CCSLC: 'I hope ticket prices drop because of the extra revenue from the helmet ads'

Repeat over and over: Owners don't care about you, your childhood memories, aesthetic tastes, franchise histories, your favorite players or any players in general. Owners care about making more money.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, schlim said:

Businesses love discovering new revenue streams with no cost attached only to shelve them after a year or so, because why not?!

Next on CCSLC: 'I hope ticket prices drop because of the extra revenue from the helmet ads'

Repeat over and over: Owners don't care about you, your childhood memories, aesthetic tastes, franchise histories, your favorite players or any players in general. Owners care about making more money.

That's the reality part. You think by now they'll be a mental test to see if a potential owner is fit to run the team. The philosophy of ownership is, first and foremost, to make money. Fan reaction/public reaction is secondary. You prioritise the latter and you'll bankrupt the team in the long run unless you're smart on how to spend money.

8 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I don't think the Kings should go back to purple and gold because all the success they've ever had has been in black, white and silver.  But damned if that isn't the best looking Kings jersey I've ever seen.  I see no reason why it can't be their full time alternate.

Because they're ending a rebuild that took place through the same design that won those Cups. Teams love rebranding when nearing the end of a rebuild, because it jolts jersey sales up pretty heavily and gets fans excited for a "new era"; look at the Sens for a prime example.

If the Kings think rebranding and getting a new set of jerseys to coincide with the end of their rebuild is a smart move (which it usually is), they're going to do it. Wouldn't be shocked if their Reverse Retro was a way of testing the waters, so to speak.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Because they're ending a rebuild that took place through the same design that won those Cups. Teams love rebranding when nearing the end of a rebuild, because it jolts jersey sales up pretty heavily and gets fans excited for a "new era"; look at the Sens for a prime example.

If the Kings think rebranding and getting a new set of jerseys to coincide with the end of their rebuild is a smart move (which it usually is), they're going to do it. Wouldn't be shocked if their Reverse Retro was a way of testing the waters, so to speak.

Would be nice if in the next 18 to 24 months, ALL 3 of the Cali teams used this period to revamp their home and away unis (which I think most people would say are lacking!) and time it, like Ottawa, with a rebuild. 

You get a couple of high picks. You start associating those sexy new players with the new look, and you're off to the races. Ultimately, like the thread is talking about with ads on jerseys, it's about making money, and the current look for those teams in no way is timeless or perfect. 

This present moment, to me, is an ideal time for the Ducks, Sharks, and Kings to either go back to what the fan base loves, start over, or make smart adjustments.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Just because they love it and it equals more money, doesn't mean they should do it.  Should Chicago rebrand now that their Dynasty is over?

The Senators just (more or less) corrected their branding mistakes of the last two decades.  And they never won anything in the previous branding so its not really a fair comparison.

13 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Just because they love it and it equals more money, doesn't mean they should do it.  Should Chicago rebrand now that their Dynasty is over?

The Senators just (more or less) corrected their branding mistakes of the last two decades.  And they never won anything in the previous branding so its not really a fair comparison.

In the current economic climate? Equaling more money is a very, very good thing. And Chicago's a bad comparison since LA has rebranded practically every decade since the 90's. They went from black and silver in the 90's to black, purple and silver in the 2000's then back to black and silver for the 2010's. There isn't some clearly-defined look for the club because they've changed their look entirely multiple times, and the reception to the Reverse Retro is insanely positive. They have to have taken note of that.

Teams move away from Cup-winning looks all the time, it's the nature of wanting to make bank on jersey and merch sales by timing a rebrand with an upswing in the team's results, or even just because of new ownership. Dallas dumped their Cup-winning set. So have Toronto, Boston, Edmonton, Tampa, Philly, Pittsburgh, the Islanders, the Rangers, Calgary and Carolina in the past and the present.

The Kings are going to be entering a brand new era, pretty much completely removed from the early 2010's team, so why not capitalize on that by coinciding a new era of Kings hockey with a rebrand? The time of the upswing is the opportune moment for a team to rebrand itself.

Also, two cups isn't a "dynasty"; we'd have to call Pittsburgh a dynasty twice over if two Cups were the deciding factor of a dynasty team. The last true "dynasty" team were the 80's Oilers; the late 90's-early 2000's Red Wings are the closest to a modern dynasty there's ever been.

The Chevy logo is bad and should stay behind once the RR program is phased out. It’s almost doubly bad now that I just relaized that they copied the Lakers’ font. 

Purple/gold vs black/silver doesn’t matter much to me as you can always make the one of them the alternate jersey. But the Kings desperately need a new primary logo. 

15 hours ago, Survival79 said:

I'm a big fan of purple, but there's something about that logo in those colors that I just don't like. I think it's all that white. Perhaps it would look better if the white was gold and the gold was white.

Hmmm...

XhAidkd.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

LA has rebranded practically every decade since the 90's. They went from black and silver in the 90's to black, purple and silver in the 2000's then back to black and silver for the 2010's. There isn't some clearly-defined look for the club because they've changed their look entirely multiple times, and the reception to the Reverse Retro is insanely positive. They have to have taken note of that.

Yep, they've had an identity crisis and the solution is to change again?  Their last championship was only 6 seasons ago so it's not like they're in the midst of some monumental drought...  Changing your entire look the second you stop winning isn't the way to build a successful brand.  If having the greatest player in the history of the game and winning two championships in 3 years isn't grounds for a defined look, I don't know what is.

Teams move away from Cup-winning looks all the time, it's the nature of wanting to make bank on jersey and merch sales by timing a rebrand with an upswing in the team's results, or even just because of new ownership. Dallas dumped their Cup-winning set. So have Toronto, Boston, Edmonton, Tampa, Philly, Pittsburgh, the Islanders, the Rangers, Calgary and Carolina in the past and the present.

Lots of those teams (bolded) have returned to their cup winning looks because they went with what was trendy and fan demand necessitated it.  If the Kings switch to Purple and Gold and don't produce a winner, there will eventually be a demand to return to what they have now anyways.

Also, two cups isn't a "dynasty"; we'd have to call Pittsburgh a dynasty twice over if two Cups were the deciding factor of a dynasty team. The last true "dynasty" team were the 80's Oilers; the late 90's-early 2000's Red Wings are the closest to a modern dynasty there's ever been.

I never said L.A. was a dynasty, I said Chicago was.  3 cups in 6 years during the salary cap era is absolutely a dynasty.

11 hours ago, NYRFan said:

MOD EDIT: No discussion of Native American naming controversies. Or rather, let's keep that talk in the relevant threads and not speculate about other changes here.

It's (Hawks) already trending on Twitter and will become a focal point sooner rather than later.

Not to say I don't get your point! 

19 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Those sweaters are probably better quality than the Fanatics replica version of today. Adding in a hat and a rule book, it probably comes out to be about 1% of the price of what it would be today.

I don't think youth Fanatics jerseys are $700. 😃

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived