2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

There's precedent for teams revealing stuff like alternates during the season. I also wouldn't be shocked if part of it is just due to manufacturing delays.

It seems like many alternates the last couple years were unveiled mid-season. The Lightning's alt wasn't unveiled until Feb 2019, IIRC. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I hope this at least creates a push for the team to ditch the contrasting nameplates on the main jerseys. The white name looks great on the orange jersey.

See I feel like the flyers are the one team that can get away with it since there's at least some historical precedent, I kinda feel like that's their thing. My problem when other teams try to do it is that they use it with a yolk and makes the back way too crowded but how the flyers shoulder stripe goes to the collar instead of connecting in the back, I think the nameplates create a sense of balance to the back. 

9 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

This looks awesome, IMHO. The steel grey and red combo is slick. This one gets better with subsequent looks and when viewing it in context of the full "uniform system."

I like this much more than the gold 3rd.  Only thing I would change is a black helmet rather than grey, but since it's a one-off rather than a full time alt it makes sense to use their regular home helmet instead of a whole new set.

3 hours ago, dannykraft said:

See I feel like the flyers are the one team that can get away with it since there's at least some historical precedent, I kinda feel like that's their thing.

The historical precedent is that the team didn't realize they needed names on the back of their orange jerseys until the last minute, so they just repurposed the nameplates from their white jerseys. By the late '70s they had switched to white names on the orange jerseys, and it stayed that way until they ditched orange at the turn of the century.

It seems strange to ignore over 20 years of uniform history in favour of an equipment mix up that looks worse, and was quickly fixed. 

The black nameplate on the road is even worse, both because of how bad it looks & because there is absolutely no historical precedence.

12 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The historical precedent is that the team didn't realize they needed names on the back of their orange jerseys until the last minute, so they just repurposed the nameplates from their white jerseys. By the late '70s they had switched to white names on the orange jerseys, and it stayed that way until they ditched orange at the turn of the century.

It seems strange to ignore over 20 years of uniform history in favour of an equipment mix up that looks worse, and was quickly fixed. 

The black nameplate on the road is even worse, both because of how bad it looks & because there is absolutely no historical precedence.

Idk, I know that it's somewhat divisive for people but I like the contrasting nameplates. It's worked its way into becoming one of those quirks for the team. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Will the reverse retros only be worn for one season?

From what I understand this recent releases are just for one year...but I think I remember reading that the program will renew next year with new designs. Could be totally off...

And I'm not sure if they'll be reused in 21-22 because of the shortened 20-21 season. 

In short, I dunno, but I'm fairly certain the premise is not just a one-year thing. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Top selling Reverse Retros for the week of Dec 1-6:

1. WSH
2. NYR
3. ANA
4. COL
5. ARI

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

17 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

Idk, I know that it's somewhat divisive for people but I like the contrasting nameplates. It's worked its way into becoming one of those quirks for the team. 

They go perfectly with one of the team's other quirks: not winning the Stanley Cup.

😉

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

22 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It seems like many alternates the last couple years were unveiled mid-season. The Lightning's alt wasn't unveiled until Feb 2019, IIRC. 

It went further than that. They were revealed 30 minutes before the first game in which they were to be worn, when the team went out for warmups.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

The Ducks even retweeted this list the other day.

We like it when you wear the old colours. Take the hint already.

I think they're saving it for their 30th anniversary season, honestly. They're already so close to it, and it'd be a perfect way to celebrate that milestone; though I wouldn't be shocked if they did some minor tweaks to it (like replacing the silver stripe with an orange stripe and similarly editing the logo to use the orange sticks).

The Ducks rebrand had to do with one thing; the new ownership wanting a public 'clean break' from the Disney era. It was never an organic desire from the fans to break away from the original colors and logo. Every time the team uses the original logo and/or the original colors it seems to be overwhelmingly positive in general.

I remember when the rebrand was being talked about the rumored color scheme was black/orange/hunter green/silver. THAT color combination could have been just as popular as the original eggplant/teal/white. I've always thought ditching the hunter green was a big mistake.

23 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I hope this at least creates a push for the team to ditch the contrasting nameplates on the main jerseys. The white name looks great on the orange jersey.

Not really. The contrasting nameplate on orange should be a signature design element. The contrasting nameplates on white are illegible, very stupid.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The Ducks even retweeted this list the other day.

We like it when you wear the old colours. Take the hint already.

Could a compromise be going with an orange (they seem to love that OC tie-in!) and jade color scheme? Would certainly be unique in the league, and maybe SJ gives up the ghost and goes back to the teal/black/grey look, which to me is more flattering than shoehorning the orange into their look.

🤷‍♂️ 

Archived