2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

On 5/31/2020 at 11:15 AM, ieatstaples said:

spacer.png

I much prefer the original lighter shade of teal. In the age of HD, vibrant primary colours should be used. Especially if the secondary colour is black or a very dark colour.

Love the grey shading on the shark as well as the original triangle.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2020 at 7:22 PM, Eastport76 said:

I wonder Coyotes would looks like in brick red/turquoise/black scheme.  

A Twitter thread about the problem with the Kachina colors and this this very idea:

He (you?) had a good point here:

It's not that the current color scheme doesn't "work" from a color-theory perspective; it's very clearly a "split-complementary" color scheme, it's just my belief that this was the wrong direction for a new team to take with their color palette...

The reason I believe that it was/is a mistake is that there is no clear hierarchy to this color scheme. 

It makes sense, as the Coyotes struggled to find their identity back then (despite the awesome uniforms) because they didn't know if they were a green, red, or black team.

I'm not so sure about the color-theory talk (what good does it do to say "ah, clear employment of split-complementary distribution" if a lack of clarity is the problem?), but the part about no clear hierarchy and too many low-value shades is right on and echoes what we've said here for years.

I really like the idea of the bright turquoise, because for all the talk about '90s nostalgia in fashion and design, what the '96 set really did was presage the dark, grim, earth-toned trend of the 2000s. It's of a kind with the midnight-copper Oilers, Motre Bame Brewers, and St. Louis Rams, not the Charlotte Hornets, Sharks, Mighty Ducks, or Vancouver Grizzlies. It's not expansion Diamondbacks, it's alternates-from-a-few-years-in Diamondbacks. So if you want to capitalize on all things '90s and follow current trends, the way to do that is to keep the more daring aspects of the original design, but embrace louder colors. This would do that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/1/2020 at 10:46 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

I much prefer the original lighter shade of teal. In the age of HD, vibrant primary colours should be used. Especially if the secondary colour is black or a very dark colour.

I put this together a few years ago.

• Modified logos
  • 1991-92 through 1997-98 colors
  • 1991-92 through 1996-97 uniforms

BO59TU4.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

@the admiral

That's me. 

I think the convoluted critique is fair; it's difficult to explain a complex idea in a single tweet. 

Color schemes are a basic tools (like the golden ratio or the rule of thirds) to help "find" matching colors. Simple color schemes of one or two colors really don't need the color wheel because they are easy to balance. But as soon you start trying to balance 3/4/5 colors together, making sure you fall into a color theory scheme tends to really help keep everything appealing. For example, color theory helps explain why some team colors "work" (like the Bucks' Irish Rainbows are an analogous color scheme) and why other teams don't (the XFL Tampa Bay Vipers colors were not analogous because yellow is skipped over for a shade of yellow-orange).

My intent was to get out of feelings-territory ("my belief is that these colors match") and appeal at some form of objectivity (these colors match under this principle/theory). 

Simply put, my point was the original Kachina colors makes sense according to the color wheel; the whole scheme "works," but it has a high degree of difficulty to actually use. If we replaced the dark green with a bright turquoise and left all the other the colors unchanged, the color scheme still works (just according to a different principle), but it would be easier for the team to use and balance.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

A Twitter thread about the problem with the Kachina colors and this this very idea:

I appreciate the work that went into this but it's unfortunately a giant downgrade.  The hunter green shoulders are subtle and don't compete with the logo or striping.  Making the yoke so prominent pushes the look past the point of gaudiness.

Hypothetically, even if they were to make this change, it doesn't have to be a straight 1-1 swap. The point of the thread was about the color scheme, not the uniforms.

Nothing is preventing them from making the shoulders red with a different outline and still replacing the dark green with a brighter turquoise to balance out the color scheme... In fact, most "updated" Kachina concepts simplify the color scheme anyway (typically down to red, sand, and black). 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the turquoise. The hunter green is more subtle, but that subtlety makes it feel more in line with the rest of the colors, where the turquoise completely overtakes the other colors as far as the eye goes, and ends up putting emphasis in certain areas there probably shouldn't be such emphasis (the shoulders, being mostly turquoise, will be the first place people look because of the concentration of bright color) over areas that would make more sense for emphasis (the crest and hem). It competes too much with the other colors for the eye; That's why most shoulder yokes are dark colors like black, not bright turquoise.

If the argument is that there's a need to simplify the Kachinas (an opinion I disagree with, personally, but I can see why cutting the number of colors down would not be a terrible idea), I'd argue they should go for a four-color look; brick red/tan/black/purple. Those colors all work together well, but none of them are going to draw too much focus from one another like the turquoise would.

EDIT: I know this isn't a concept thread, but something like this would be where I'd lean;

spacer.png

Black helmet, red sweater, red breezers, beige socks? That's all over the place. Try red-black-red-black. 

I like the idea of the Coyotes using a little purple to tie them in with the Suns and because no one is using purple in the NHL anymore (far cry from the 2004 NBA when like a third of the league was purple). Could probably lose the shoulder yokes, I don't think they add much here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Black helmet, red sweater, red breezers, beige socks? That's all over the place. Try red-black-red-black. 

I like the idea of the Coyotes using a little purple to tie them in with the Suns and because no one is using purple in the NHL anymore (far cry from the 2004 NBA when like a third of the league was purple). Could probably lose the shoulder yokes, I don't think they add much here.

I like the contrast of the tan shoulder yokes, personally; adds a punch of color to the top of the jersey without coming off as too gaudy. Losing the yoke makes it so pretty much the entire top of the jersey is just red, which would be a little bland visually to have a fair bit of color on the cuffs and hem and then just a sea of red for the rest of it; the yoke helps break up the red core just that extra bit more. As for the color placement; yeah, I can see that it was a bit all over the place. This looks a lot more consistent;

spacer.png

But I guess we're starting to veer into concepts thread territory at this point (speaking of, I really should post in there again 😛).

25 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I like the contrast of the tan shoulder yokes, personally; adds a punch of color to the top of the jersey without coming off as too gaudy. Losing the yoke makes it so pretty much the entire top of the jersey is just red, which would be a little bland visually to have a fair bit of color on the cuffs and hem and then just a sea of red for the rest of it; the yoke helps break up the red core just that extra bit more. As for the color placement; yeah, I can see that it was a bit all over the place. This looks a lot more consistent;

spacer.png

But I guess we're starting to veer into concepts thread territory at this point (speaking of, I really should post in there again 😛).

You somehow made the colors look less cohesive. 

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

A darker purple would really improve this (maybe call it midnight purple)

Also the NOB font (Friz Quad I think) and block numbers don't really mix. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Why is there black and purple at the top of the socks? Wouldn’t that be hidden by the breezers? 

I also think the Kachina look doesn’t even need a shoulder yoke. Then the brighter turquoise would fit in the color scheme much better. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I do wonder if the third will return.

spacer.png

Part of me wants to see it buried, but part of me wants it sticking around.

Funny thing about this was that I wanted this alternate sweater for Christmas one year and not the black sweater. I ended up getting the black sweater instead. In hindsight, I got the better one.

20 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I appreciate the work that went into this but it's unfortunately a giant downgrade.  The hunter green shoulders are subtle and don't compete with the logo or striping.  Making the yoke so prominent pushes the look past the point of gaudiness.

Exactly. I could understand the complaints about the scheme being too dark 20 years ago, but with HD/4K sports broadcasts & 12 megapixel cameras in everyone's pockets these days it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't say the Kachina look is perfect, but I have yet to see a concept that's actually an upgrade.

Archived