2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

Since these are intended for rivalry games, and the Oilers' WHA-inspired white Reverse Retro has already leaked, now I'm left wondering if the Flames are gonna have a red & white Calgary Cowboys-inspired jersey to go with it...

These are all meant to be throwbacks from a team's own history, with the exception of teams with short histories; hence Vegas using Thunder fauxbacks instead. I'd expect Columbus to follow suit with a minor-league fauxback because of the history the city has with minor-league hockey; and Minnesota most likely goes with a North Stars jersey, especially since I'd think Dallas uses either the star cut or their inaugural look for their Reverse Retro.

I would more likely expect something involving Blasty over a Cowboys fauxback; the Cowboys and Flames aren't linked in any way besides city. Or maybe an Atlanta Flames fauxback using this as a template;

spacer.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, nash61 said:

That's a great find, and I'm glad there are in-depth pics of one. They're incredibly rare. The last time I saw one pop up for sale, it went for over $1k. Honestly a little steep for my blood.

Looking through the rest of the guy's collection, I think I might know the owner. There aren't many Preds fans in the Roadrunners STH family. I'll need to reach out and see if it's who I think it is. If it is, that'll be cool, because I never would have thought one of these babies would wind up in Tucson.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

16 minutes ago, M4One said:

I can't wait to see Winnipeg's version of this jersey.

spacer.png

Winnipeg has been desperately trying to get the local fans to forget that they aren't the OG Jets, so I'll be shocked if they opt for Thrashers over that.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 minutes ago, M4One said:

Well, I guess you missed the joke.

Apparently so. My mistake.

2 hours ago, nash61 said:

Great looking jersey. I wish they had stuck with this look properly instead of going down the road of yellow everything. Great shoulder patch badge as well, beats their current lazy guitar pick thing they have now. Not mad that the logo has lost the chrome effect though.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:38 AM, njdevs7 said:

Yes, Lou was very strict with the Devils uniforms. But he was also the President/CEO/GM of the club. Not sure if he has that same power on Long Island.

I think if Lou was still in New Jersey, the Devils would not have ruined their uniforms like they have done.

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

All signs are pointing to the Wild doing a North Stars fauxback for their Winter Classic, so that's likely off the table, yeah. I could see a black or gold star-cut working out for Dallas' Reverse Retro.

What signs, exactly?

Gene Wilder Reaction GIF

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 10/20/2020 at 10:17 AM, pepis21 said:

Whoa I always love 80's/90's design and this sweater looks amazing even if I prefer classic white/black arms.

Dear Mario Lemieux and whole Pittsburgh Penguins organization.

Please reintroduce RoboPen and move it as your secondary logo.

Sincerely

Pep

Please dear God, no. NO. The RoboPen/Pigeon/Hummingbird should be left in the past and recognized as the huge mistake that it was. As a Penguins fan, I hope to never see that logo again unless I'm watching clips of the Penguins from the '90s. I hate that logo, I hate the striping on the home jersey. Absolutely awful.

I like the white version of the gin-n-juice days jersey. but the "PIttsburgh" script needs to be a big bigger. As someone else pointed out, the jersey design in that pic looks like a cheap Chinese knock off jersey.

13 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

These are all meant to be throwbacks from a team's own history.

Source? I haven't seen a release for that and we haven't had that many leaks to really indicate they're all guaranteed to be a fauxback rom a team's past, especially considering some dont have much to throwback to.

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Source? I haven't seen a release for that and we haven't had that many leaks to really indicate they're all guaranteed to be a fauxback rom a team's past, especially considering some dont have much to throwback to.

It's from this Icethetics article;

My understanding of these Reverse Retro jerseys is that each team will have one and they will be worn only once or twice per season—and likely between certain rivals. In other words, these Flyers and Penguins jerseys were designed to contrast so they could be worn opposing each other in the same game.

My take on this is that it’s a way for the NHL to capitalize on the popularity of the specialty jerseys used for outdoor games without having to stage outdoor games for every team. And it’s not a bad plan when you consider most of the same teams are selected for those games every year.

It also does introduced a whole new category of specialty designs. The Winter and Heritage Classics usually call for really old throwbacks while the Stadium Series aims for futuristic designs. It leaves us kids of the ’80s and ’90s getting yanked around. Now it’s our time!

I’ve seen a few other designs from this Reverse Retro series and they’re really interesting. And I will say not every team has a jersey from its own history. Some haven’t been around long enough to have a history. But that doesn’t mean they didn’t find inspiration for one of these jerseys.

We've seen Vegas is going with a Thunder fauxback, and I think it's logical to conclude Minnesota and Columbus could probably follow suit with taking other teams from the area as inspiration with how limited their own jersey history is.

Trying to come up with candidates for Ottawa in this program and I can come up with 3 things from their history that they *might* do...

- Red (or white) version of the 2000s alt with the laurel leaf trim

- Black version of the "toga" jersey with the "toga" in white.  Or a white version with the "toga" in red or black.

- White version of the barberpole jersey they used the last few seasons (but not with the vintage white as they did for the Heritage Classic)

If I had to guess, I'd probably go with the laurel leaf jersey in white or red as the most likely.

Archived