College Football 2020

Kevin W.

5 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Sometimes you have duplicates on special teams, though. It's rare, but I recall a few times in the past that Nebraska had two special teams guys with the same number. Usually like a TE and then a LB or DB. 

Garrett Wilson had to wear 18 over top of 5 because they had another player with 5 on the field. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If true, I imagine the referees simply did not catch the Nebraska occurrence.

That said, the PA announcer had me cracking up every time Garrett would head out on punt team at the Big Ten Championship Game. “Jonathon Cooper back to return the punt.” Usually took three staff members to pull the jersey over his pads and then rip it back off so that he could go out on offense after the tv timeout, too.

Have to think Ohio State was pretty unique in that its four best players last season were wearing No. 1 or 2. But, interestingly enough, the Buckeyes actually currently have three players wearing No. 7 on their spring roster, which would obviously have to change if this new rule is passed or if they ever wanted to see the field at the same time (it’s an early enrollee freshman QB, an off-injured WR and a starting DB).

29 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

If true, I imagine the referees simply did not catch the Nebraska occurrence.

That said, the PA announcer had me cracking up every time Garrett would head out on punt team at the Big Ten Championship Game. “Jonathon Cooper back to return the punt.” Usually took three staff members to pull the jersey over his pads and then rip it back off so that he could go out on offense after the tv timeout, too.

Have to think Ohio State was pretty unique in that its four best players last season were wearing No. 1 or 2. But, interestingly enough, the Buckeyes actually currently have three players wearing No. 7 on its spring roster, which would obviously have to change if this new rule is passed or if they ever wanted to see the field at the same time (it’s an early enrollee freshman QB, an off-injured WR and a starting DB).

17's available, right?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

17's available, right?

Nope. It’s now taken by a walk-on quarterback. I’m actually quite interested to see which player changes, though — the receiver who, if healthy, has a shot to crack the rotation this year or the four-star quarterback who actually wore No. 7 in high school but has at least a year before he plays significant snaps. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Sometimes you have duplicates on special teams, though. It's rare, but I recall a few times in the past that Nebraska had two special teams guys with the same number. Usually like a TE and then a LB or DB. 

And one has to wear a pinny for the play

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radchad said:

Cal used to give the QB and punter the same number.  It allowed them to pull off fake punts every once in a while, including this beauty by Jared Goff:

cal-fake-punt.gif

Pretty clever.

And a lot less complicated than this mess Pitt tried to pull off:

spacer.png

The punter was #98 and that's backup QB Jeff George Jr. in some weird 98/96 hybrid. It didn't work.

• Like 10

spacer.png

7 hours ago, radchad said:

Cal used to give the QB and punter the same number.  It allowed them to pull off fake punts every once in a while, including this beauty by Jared Goff:

cal-fake-punt.gif

That's ingenious.

Annexation of Puerto Rico level stuff right there.

• Like 13

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

New Mexico Lobos To Return To Silver Helmets In 2020

March 4, 2020 - 22:26 PM

After five seasons in either anthracite or white helmets, the New Mexico football program will return to its traditional silver lids in 2020. “It’s tradition to have silver helmets,” first-year head coach Danny Gonzales told the Santa Fe New Mexican […]

Read More...

Upgrade for the Lobos, but they need to use the profile wolf logo that faces the front of the helmet.

I always like the 90s version...but it's a bit of a mess.

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Arizona's recent spring camp videos feature the white helmet with the asymmetrical stripe and blue facemask a lot. Hopefully I'm not reading in to that too much.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, See Red said:

Sadly, six or seven years ago, at the height of CFB uniform insanity, I might have believed this. 

In other news, I just remembered that Fresno joined Adidas

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

In other news, I just remembered that Fresno joined Adidas

I could see Adidas non-jokingly pitching this to them

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 3/4/2020 at 4:01 PM, Kevin W. said:

Arizona's recent spring camp videos feature the white helmet with the asymmetrical stripe and blue facemask a lot. Hopefully I'm not reading in to that too much.

And the throwbacks are in their season ticket renewal ads. Honestly, at this point I'd be surprised if they don't adopt the throwbacks full-time. Why else would they have them in the ads instead of the primaries?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I expect A&M to adopt a version of their ‘98 throwbacks also full time. Mond, the AD, and the equipment staff have all responded to tweets which indicate this.

I think we’ll see the shoulder stripes removed, the bevel taken off the number font, an enlarged “Texas A&M” across the front with white facemasks. Probably a pair of maroon pants to wear on the road as well.