College Football 2020

Kevin W.

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I did watch it, and yes you’re right that he said there’ll be all new stuff next year. But that likely means next calendar year, as in 2021, which is exactly what I expect. All he said about this upcoming season was that the full season’s uniform choices had already been selected (this was of course before the season was shortened), and that there’ll be a couple of surprises mixed in. That suggests that there’ll be a new alternate or maybe a couple new uniform elements mixed in, not a full new set. In addition, new 2020 versions of the same jerseys as last year have recently gone on sale on Fanatics, on Nike.com, and on the official Duck store site. If there was going to be a new set they wouldn’t have created new versions of last year’s jerseys to put up for sale (by new versions I mean new jersey numbers - #3 and #58 this year as opposed to #10 and #35 last year). And on top of that the players just had their photo/video day a few days ago and were wearing the same apple green uniforms as last year, with the only difference being the removal of the CFB150 patch that was present on last year’s uniforms. By and large the uniforms will be the same as last year, but I would expect there to be a new alternate uniform and/or some new pieces added to the rotation. Expect the full new set to come out in 2021.

Makes sense! Thanks for your answer. What do you expect for the new set next year? Wings on the shoulders? completely new direction? back to old design but reimagined? what colors? Just wanna build some hype :)

1 hour ago, QbDuck said:

Makes sense! Thanks for your answer. What do you expect for the new set next year? Wings on the shoulders? completely new direction? back to old design but reimagined? what colors? Just wanna build some hype :)

That’s really tough to say, they’ve become pretty unpredictable in recent years. Bringing back the wings on the shoulders certainly seems like a possibility, and one that I think would please a lot of fans (if tastefully executed), but even that is a complete unknown. I would bet the winged helmets would stick around in some form, but other than that who knows.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Ducks are going with yellow helmets and dark green jerseys and pants on Saturday night against Stanford:

spacer.png
This isn’t a huge shock, as this was one of two combos I thought were serious possibilities once I saw players breaking in the new nightmare green cleats in practice this week. Not as good as the yellow/nightmare/yellow combo that they wore against Cal last year, but still should look pretty sharp under the lights and in primetime. Since they won’t be going with the classic yellow/apple green/yellow this week, I really hope they break that out in the rivalry game against UW later in the season.

Going up the road to Corvallis, as expected the Beavers will be in all-black against Wazzu:

spacer.png

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Arizona going navy/white/white at Utah:

This is definitely one of their more tolerable combos with this set, but I kinda wish they went navy/white/navy to better contrast Utah’s white/red/white. 

I am beyond disappointed that I was 100% wrong about the change to the Desert Swarm throwbacks. Why would they use them so much for advertising purposes and then not use them on the field? Ugh...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

I can’t wait for the oversized helmet logo with the number on the other side look to go away

1000% with you.  I guess some people don't like symmetry. I get OCD on non-Symmetry. Except WFT, the Eagles pants, Virginia orange/blue and Arizona Wildcats red/Blue stripes. Those work for some reason.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

8 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I am beyond disappointed that I was 100% wrong about the change to the Desert Swarm throwbacks. Why would they use them so much for advertising purposes and then not use them on the field? Ugh...

2020 is unlike any year we've ever seen. The delayed production timelines on the marketing side as well as the uniform fulfillment side have been entirely disrupted.

Auburn did their entire football marketing photoshoot wearing the previous jersey template, despite only using the new template for the 2019 season. Most of the jerseys didn't even include the SEC patch. But once the Tigers hit the field for game one, they were back to wearing the newest template. 

As much as we all want to use the same tricks and methods of dissecting every move a program makes, it simply isn't going to work at the same level this year. 

• Like 1

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

8 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Could be that the Desert Swam unis will be for home games only. 

Their Twitter feed still has a lot of promotional photos with all-navy and all-red, so maybe the Desert Swarms are still alternates. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

UCLA is giving players the option to replace their last name with “Equality”, “Justice”, “Love”, “Peace” or “Unity”, and also giving players the option to wear an anti-racism jersey patch:

Nice initiative by the Bruins. Also notable that the jersey patch is placed over the Under Armour logo, which certainly seems like no accident considering that UCLA is suing the apparel company for breach of contract. I’ll be curious to see how many players elect to wear the patch, and if the patches will actually be placed over the UA logo on gameday. 

• Like 4

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

16 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

I can’t wait for the oversized helmet logo with the number on the other side look to go away

For some reason ASU style really doesn't bother me as much, it's more when the logo is the same size as the number like uva or temple is what I hate. The way asu and boise does it looks better because the logo is so big the number like creates balance.

9 minutes ago, bowld said:

Oregon with a gross shade of green. Why not stick to the Apple Green or the darker green they had on some previous sets? This newish Army green just doesnt look very good

As I said numerous times last year, the shade of green was meant to be a callback to the set that debuted in ‘99 (when they debuted the ‘O’ logo). Ducks fans like myself really like the color, as it’s a nice middle ground between the dark forest green they used up until 2015 and black. In fact last year the nightmare green color essentially replaced black, although this year it appears as though there will be black uniform pieces added back into the rotation. There’s no question, though, that the apple green is far and away the better shade of green and is the “traditional” look. It should absolutely be worn more often than the nightmare green, with the nightmare green and/or black being used more sparingly.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

14 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Going up the road to Corvallis, as expected the Beavers will be in all-black against Wazzu:

spacer.png

Circling back to this uniform announcement from the Beavers, I’m still really hoping they eventually do some mixing and matching with this set. Last year they stuck to all-black, black/cream/cream, and black/orange/orange, but it’d be nice to see a couple new combos this year. I posted these mockups last year, but they’re worth posting again to show the potential for some really nice looks:

spacer.png

Specifically I’d like to see the black/black/cream, black/cream/black, and black/orange/black combos at some point. The set as a whole is really nice, but the mono combos started to get a little stale last year. Simply switching up the pants colors once in a while would do wonders IMO.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

53 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

As I said numerous times last year, the shade of green was meant to be a callback to the set that debuted in ‘99 (when they debuted the ‘O’ logo). Ducks fans like myself really like the color, as it’s a nice middle ground between the dark forest green they used up until 2015 and black. In fact last year the nightmare green color essentially replaced black, although this year it appears as though there will be black uniform pieces added back into the rotation. There’s no question, though, that the apple green is far and away the better shade of green and is the “traditional” look. It should absolutely be worn more often than the nightmare green, with the nightmare green and/or black being used more sparingly.

It feels like a good attempt with the nightmare green, but I don't think it works. Go with apple green as the primary shade of green and just go to black as an alternate. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

5 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

It feels like a good attempt with the nightmare green, but I don't think it works. Go with apple green as the primary shade of green and just go to black as an alternate. 

I would choose the nightmare green over black any day of the week, and I think most other Ducks fans would likely agree. They certainly don’t need both, which it seems like they might this year if they really do have a new black alternate in the works. Going forward they should definitely choose one and stick with it, but my vote would be for the nightmare green. I’d be fine with black, though, again just as long as they pick one. The apple green is and should continue to be the primary shade of green, and should be worn more frequently than it has been the last couple seasons.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Circling back to this uniform announcement from the Beavers, I’m still really hoping they eventually do some mixing and matching with this set. Last year they stuck to all-black, black/cream/cream, and black/orange/orange, but it’d be nice to see a couple new combos this year. I posted these mockups last year, but they’re worth posting again to show the potential for some really nice looks:

spacer.png

Specifically I’d like to see the black/black/cream, black/cream/black, and black/orange/black combos at some point. The set as a whole is really nice, but the mono combos started to get a little stale last year. Simply switching up the pants colors once in a while would do wonders IMO.

This is completely unrelated but I would love to see wvu use this template. I love their basketball uniforms and I think this is a great football equivalent  

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I would choose the nightmare green over black any day of the week, and I think most other Ducks fans would likely agree. They certainly don’t need both, which it seems like they might this year if they really do have a new black alternate in the works. Going forward they should definitely choose one and stick with it, but my vote would be for the nightmare green. I’d be fine with black, though, again just as long as they pick one. The apple green is and should continue to be the primary shade of green, and should be worn more frequently than it has been the last couple seasons.

Lifelong Duck fan and alumni here to co-sign this sentiment. I always struggled to accept using black especially when our little brother uses black as their primary color. Especially when we have such a unique color scheme. I really like the direction the brand seems to be heading and definitely prefer the nightmare green to black. Like you said it's a nice in-between color and in my opinion much better than the spruce/forest green the Ducks were using. 

• Like 1