College Football 2020

Kevin W.

Oregon is frustrating to me because they literally have the nicest color scheme in college when the stick to the bright green and bright yellow. That green is especially spectacular. They don't need anything else. In fact, everything else they throw in is just a disaster. Silver, dark gray, that vomitous black- green... It's all ghastly, and made more so by the idea that it's serving to keep them out their actual and amazing color scheme. It's such a monumentally terrible decision that I just can't forgive them for it.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

My main problem with Oregon is that since 2015, maybe 16 they really just haven't looked that good. Oregon is the one team I love changing every week since that's their thing but these uniforms now just look so uninspired and they're repeating combos regularly now. It just feels half-a** now.  

2016 was definitely a rough year in terms of uniforms (and in terms of the play on the field) because it was just all over the place with a bunch of one-offs and a lack of a consistent design direction. 2017 was better, but still sort of a mishmash of different pieces. Although the 2018 set had its issues (numbers that were too large and an insistence on mono combos), that really was the start of the Ducks getting back on track. Last year’s set fixed the issues of the 2018 set, and was essentially getting back to the basics, while also retaining some flashy elements like the winged helmets and the unique number treatment. I suspect the next set will be a bit flashier and more experimental, but the current set was/is a necessary retreat back to something simpler and more cohesive IMO. Last year they actually wore 12 different combos in 14 games, and they were all what I would describe as “good” combos (some better than others, but all good). Last year they essentially rebuilt their uniform foundation, with tasteful mixing and matching and a set that was fairly simple and cohesive. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I can tell you that for most Ducks fans we are pretty satisfied with the current direction, with the hope that they’ll build on the current set and get back to something that’s not as barebones but that is still cohesive and unified. Just for fun, here’s a chart showing all the combos worn last season:

spacer.png

Now I will say I absolutely agree with @oldschoolvikings that they need to focus more on the apple green and yellow, and wear the dark green or black sparingly in comparison. I don’t agree that they should get rid of those colors altogether, though. 

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

2016 was definitely a rough year in terms of uniforms (and in terms of the play on the field) because it was just all over the place with a bunch of one-offs and a lack of a consistent design direction. 2017 was better, but still sort of a mishmash of different pieces. Although the 2018 set had its issues (numbers that were too large and an insistence on mono combos), that really was the start of the Ducks getting back on track. Last year’s set fixed the issues of the 2018 set, and was essentially getting back to the basics, while also retaining some flashy elements like the winged helmets and the unique number treatment. I suspect the next set will be a bit flashier and more experimental, but the current set was/is a necessary retreat back to something simpler and more cohesive IMO. Last year they actually wore 12 different combos in 14 games, and they were all what I would describe as “good” combos (some better than others, but all good). Last year they essentially rebuilt their uniform foundation, with tasteful mixing and matching and a set that was fairly simple and cohesive. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I can tell you that for most Ducks fans we are pretty satisfied with the current direction, with the hope that they’ll build on the current set and get back to something that’s not as barebones but that is still cohesive and unified. Just for fun, here’s a chart showing all the combos worn last season:

spacer.png

Now I will say I absolutely agree with @oldschoolvikings that they need to focus more on the apple green and yellow, and wear the dark green or black sparingly in comparison. I don’t agree that they should get rid of those colors altogether, though. 

I'm in the eliminate altogether camp. Their school colors are so amazing, to use anything else dilutes the effect.

• Like 5

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Purdue Boilermakers Unveil 2000 Throwback Uniforms

November 12, 2020 - 18:38 PM

The Purdue football team will celebrate the 20th anniversary of its last Big Ten championship by wearing throwback uniforms during Saturday’s game against Northwestern (5 p.m. on BTN) Led by quarterback Drew Brees, the Boilermakers finished the season at 8-4 overall (6-2 in the Big Ten) following a 34-24 Rose

Read More...

• Like 1

These are better than what they currently wear, tbh. The sleeves on this throwback need thicker stripes though...and I think the train logo needs be on the pants. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I've come to accept that wearing a different uniform each week is an essential part of Oregon's brand (although I absolutely agree they could accomplish this while emphasizing green and yellow way more).

IMO, their biggest crime was convincing 75% of the FBS schools that they needed to be doing the same thing.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, radchad said:

I've come to accept that wearing a different uniform each week is an essential part of Oregon's brand (although I absolutely agree they could accomplish this while emphasizing green and yellow way more).

IMO, their biggest crime was convincing 75% of the FBS schools that they needed to be doing the same thing.

Yup, and I think we'd all agree it's a shame that they've intentionally shied away from their colors on the biggest stage. They faced traditional schools wearing gorgeous combos and went bland.

lat-bcsgame-leueo1nc20110110212843

JamieSquireMarshall.jpg?itok=Snwf5U4_

• Like 6

7 hours ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

I really don't like how they only wore the bright green jerseys twice last year, and both times with a green helmet and pants. Give us green/green/yellow or yellow/green/yellow! Even something like nightmare/green/nightmare or chrome/green/green would probably look pretty good. Basically, they need to emphasize the bright green and different combos with that jersey, don't give us mono-nightmare for 2 games (3 if you count the Rose Bowl and chrome helmets worn there), and all is right with the world.

Overall I like the look, although I think it's probably a bit too simplistic and understated for Oregon. They need some flair, something that makes you say "ooh, look at that!" It's hard to do that while also looking respectable, but I think bringing back the wings on the shoulders (I prefer the 2015 style ones, but most work well) could do it. Maybe shrink the numbers again while they're at it. And, of course, focus on school colors with black/volt/nightmare/chrome/whatever else they want to do as an occasional change of pace to wear once, maybe twice a year.

• Like 3

ExJworW.png

8 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

In my opinion, the great majority of college football uniforms from the year 2000 are infinitely better looking than what is worn today. And I was in 8th grade that season.

Truth.

I think the turn of the century was the golden age for football and probably basketball uniforms too. I’d say things peaked between 2000 and 2005, before Nike/Oregon fully opened up the Pandora’s box of crap, and invented the lie that uniform fads somehow matter in recruiting (the multimillion dollar facilities do, with a side of free apparel, which they’ll like no matter what... because it’s free).

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 11/12/2020 at 7:15 AM, -Akronite- said:

BTW, I HATE the idea of a rivalry game having a presenting sponsor.

The Apple Cup has been “presented by Boeing”... but since it’s the state’s largest employer it doesn’t really grind anyone’s gears. Maybe it should, though, Boeing has been fleecing taxpayers through threats to move jobs away for decades now.

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 11/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

I actually like the nightmare green but i won't argue that bright yellow and kelly green is arguably the best color combo in college football. 

But i do like how cohesive this new set is. They finally gathered their footing and aren't trying to reinvent the wheel anymore and instead are just focusing on what works for them. The seasons following the Mariota years were dark and frustrating from a uniform pov. 

But now, if they wanted to pair nightmare green with kelly it wouldn't look all that out of place if done right. I like the simplicity of just letting their unique color scheme speak for itself (granted i loved the tonal wings they wore in the rose bowl prior to the inaugural playoff).

• Like 2