Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

Are the Chargers changing their primaries to powder blue? The logo in their twitter bio is rendered in powder blue.

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Theyre just desperate for people to stop comparing them to the Dodgers. Snakebit and afraid. 

Also the team is doing what the Brewers are doing. Double-dipping on identities. The Chargers' primaries will remain navy (all of the promotional material on their FightForLA website shows players in navy), but they're not afraid to use powder blue heavily for marketing purposes.

It creates a confused, mess of a brand. That's how all of these cases end up though.

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Well it is 28th in market size thanks to the artificial limitations leagues like MLB and the NFL place on us by cutting out Tijuana and her nearly 2 million people (ironically despite the Padres radio partner until this year XPERS being based in Rosarito, Baja California, go figure).

Are they really marketing to TJ though?  Are Tijunanans going to scale the wall (that they're totally going to pay us back for) to go to games?  Are they tuning into CBS to watch the Chargers every Sunday?  Is CBS even broadcast there?  Are they buying licensed merch?  I don't know, but I'd suspect that despite the proximity to SD, they're not really part of the same market - at least for american football purposes.  

Disclosure - I spent around 4 hours in TJ, so I'm pretty much an expert in TJ/SD relations.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Are they really marketing to TJ though?  Are Tijunanans going to scale the wall (that they're totally going to pay us back for) to go to games?  Are they tuning into CBS to watch the Chargers every Sunday?  Is CBS even broadcast there?  Are they buying licensed merch?  I don't know, but I'd suspect that despite the proximity to SD, they're not really part of the same market - at least for american football purposes.  

Disclosure - I spent around 4 hours in TJ, so I'm pretty much an expert in TJ/SD relations.

I get you're trying to make a joke... but you do realize that there is two legal road border crossings there, right? The 'wall' wouldn't cut off those two roads any more than if someone really wanted to cross, there are legal reasons to cross at the road crossings.

34 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I get you're trying to make a joke... but you do realize that there is two legal road border crossings there, right? The 'wall' wouldn't cut off those two roads any more than if someone really wanted to cross, there are legal reasons to cross at the road crossings.

So do you get he was making a joke or not?

14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Also the team is doing what the Brewers are doing. Double-dipping on identities. The Chargers' primaries will remain navy (all of the promotional material on their FightForLA website shows players in navy), but they're not afraid to use powder blue heavily for marketing purposes.

It creates a confused, mess of a brand. That's how all of these cases end up though.

Not that anyone can deny the Chargers' bungling, but having multiple identities is not a confused mess.  For teams that have come to that practice  intentionally, it's a reasonable strategy.

I know that the Brewers annoy some people here; but I don't think they are doing anything so wrong.  I mean, aesthetically, I much prefer the light colours and the ball in glove, and I wish they'd use that look full-time. But I don't necessarily object philosophically to the two colour schemes. They're able to please all factions of their fanbase, and in the process sell more merchandise than they would if they picked one identity and stuck with it.

The Padres and the Diamondbacks are doing likewise.   

And the Rams are actually juggling three colour schemes: the dull blue and gold of their primary uniforms, the blue and white of their marketing and signage, and the bright blue and yellow of their fans' preference.

There is something to be said for this approach.  If I were a Padre fan, I'd be content that the brown-and-yellow colour scheme is in the mix; I would not be pushing for the team to make up its mind, out of the fear that my preferred look would not be the one selected.

Still, if the Chargers decide after all this confusion to promote their powder blue alts to the status of primary, then this  clumsy period will have produced a good outcome.

And if the powder blues return full-time , maybe -- just maybe -- this will induce some San Diego fans to look up and see that the team is not so far away, either geographically or psychologically  (I'd bet that the radio coverage will stay the same).  They might remember that they are Westerners, people to whom a 500-mile drive each way counts as a reasonable day trip. So a distance of a little over 100 miles is peanuts.

Anyway, it will be interesting to watch this saga play out.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And if the powder blues return full-time , maybe -- just maybe -- this will induce some San Diego fans to look up and see that the team is not so far away, either geographically or psychologically  (I'd bet that the radio coverage will stay the same).  They might remember that they are Westerners, people to whom a 500-mile drive each way counts a reasonable day trip. So a distance of a little over 100 miles is peanuts.

All I can say is, if you actually believe this, you are wildly out-of-touch. Chargers fans in San Diego never wanted navy to begin with; it was forced on the franchise by the Spanos family. For decades, fans begged for the full-time return of the powder blues and it always fell on deaf ears. As the team finally started begrudgingly introducing throwbacks and then a powder blue alternate, crowds at the Murph became more and more powder-blue-heavy. And still, the Spanoses didn't get the message. Bringing back the powder blues now would be another middle finger to everyone who supported the Chargers in San Diego. It would have the opposite effect of what you're describing.

And frankly, the "it's only 100 miles!' argument is ridiculous. Nobody would ever make that argument if the Eagles decided to move to the Meadowlands. So why are San Diegans supposed to just suck it up and accept the Spanos family's actions because the team didn't move very far away? Never mind the fact that travel time has absolutely nothing to do with why the majority of Chargers fans are angry.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Padres and the Diamondbacks are doing likewise.

The Padres and 'Backs identities are not what I would call cohesive. They're also not the best examples of multiple identities.

And the Rams are actually juggling three colour schemes: the dull blue and gold of their primary uniforms, the blue and white of their marketing and signage, and the bright blue and yellow of their fans' preference.

The Rams current color scheme is temporary. Once the new stadium is built, they'll ditch the navy and millennium gold for either royal and athletic gold or navy and white.

The Chargers don't need two identities (though you could argue that navy/powder/athletic gold are one identity). Make 'em powder blue and yellow and call it a day.

NSFCvyu.png

52 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Bringing back the powder blues now would be another middle finger to everyone who supported the Chargers in San Diego. It would have the opposite effect of what you're describing.

All the more reason to ditch both for their Color Rush beauties. Powder, to me, is nice as an alternate but isn't "tough" enough for football (Unpopular opinion I guess).

Throw in some white pants and start anew in LA

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

And frankly, the "it's only 100 miles!' argument is ridiculous. Nobody would ever make that argument if the Eagles decided to move to the Meadowlands.

That comparison is not valid, on account of the tremendous gulf in the perception of distances in the West versus in the East.   Westerners regard 100 miles the way Easterners would regard a distance of something like 40 miles.  So the applicable comparison to the Chargers moving to L.A. would not be the Eagles moving to the Meadowlands, but the Eagles moving to Trenton.

Chargers fans in San Diego never wanted navy to begin with; it was forced on the franchise by the Spanos family. For decades, fans begged for the full-time return of the powder blues and it always fell on deaf ears. As the team finally started begrudgingly introducing throwbacks and then a powder blue alternate, crowds at the Murph became more and more powder-blue-heavy. And still, the Spanoses didn't get the message. Bringing back the powder blues now would be another middle finger to everyone who supported the Chargers in San Diego. It would have the opposite effect of what you're describing.

I can see the point there.

Still, imagine if the team did bring back powder blue.  You'd turn on the TV and see them looking like they ought to look.  You'd turn on the radio and hear the same announcers calling the games on the same station.  You'd look at your local newspaper and find the team covered by the same beat reporters.   You might have to conclude that the team is not nearly as "gone" as it had seemed when the move was announced.

All I can say is, if you actually believe this, you are wildly out-of-touch.

I was recently thinking about a boss that I had almost 35 years ago.   I was working one day in October of 1983, when this fellow announced loudly to everyone in the vicinity that he couldn't wait to get home to see the Dodger game.  This was during the NLCS of 1983 in which the Dodgers were playing the Phillies; and he was extremely excited for this matchup.  

From talking to this guy, I learnt that he had been a big Brooklyn Dodger fan, and that he had just continued to root for the team even after its move to L.A.  He was in his mid-50s at the time of this conversation, so would have been in his late 20s when the Dodgers moved.  While he hated the move, he never lost his affinity for the team, thanks to the continuity of the roster and of the uniform.

Did I just happen to find the only such guy?  Unlikely.  I was recently listening to a radio broadcast of the Giants' first trip back into the Polo Grounds during the Mets' inaugural season of 1962.  For that game, the Giants' players -- and only the Giants' players -- were introduced individually on the field.  They all got a big hand, even the players who had never played in New York, such as Willie McCovey.  The biggest ovation went of course to Willie Mays (though it was sprinkled with boos, because Mays had been involved the previous week in a fight with Mets' shortstop Elio Chacon).  And the attendance was well in excess of 40,000, or about four times the Mets' average.

The announcers mentioned that the Dodgers had recently been in for the first time in front of a crowd of more than 50,000, which was five times the average attendance for the 1962 Mets.  In all of these games, the support of the crowd was more for the visiting Dodgers and Giants than for the homestanding Mets.

While these fans were certainly angry about their teams' moves, and while the Dodger fans' hatred of Walter O'Malley is real (even though it is entirely misguided, as the villain in that story is actually Robert Moses), this did not stop the fans from continuing to have an emotional link to the teams, even five years after those teams had moved away.

Eventually, of course, the Mets would replace both the Dodgers and the Giants in the hearts of those fans (which is a benefit that San Diego football fans will not have).  But, during the first months of 1962, before the Mets had an identity (they hadn't even become the lovable losers yet), the fans of the New York Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers demonstrated that they continued to have a love of their teams.

Given this, I do not think that it is unrealistic at all to suppose that there will be San Diego Charger fans whose attachment to the team will endure, despite their heartbreak at the move and despite their hatred for the ownership.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Trying to rank the Vegas Golden Knights and the LA Chargers on the Fail Scale.

Vegas flubbed their presentation and maybe their identity. But the market is theirs for the taking until the Raiders possibly arrive.

Chargers are being either vilified or ignored. It's an epic disaster.

Archived