Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Not disagreeing with you, but several airlines do market Providence as a "Boston Area Airport" along with Manchester, NH.

Agreed.  I've flown into Manchester multiple times when traveling to Haverhill, MA and Methuen, MA.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/20/2017 at 5:40 PM, Lights Out said:

It's funny you mention that, as I've always thought that the Clippers would be wise to brand themselves as the blue-collar team of LA - the opposite of the glamorous, star-studded and flashy Lakers. It would have been pitch-perfect branding back in '06, when we had a scrappy team with Sam Cassell's veteran savvy, Elton Brand's dominance down low, and Quinton Ross' defense.

Certainly beats empty slogans like "It Takes Everything," "Together We Will," "Pure Basketball" or "Love the Game."

I think since Spanos moved the team to Los Angeles, that they will go with lime green and black as the uniform colors since the Rams are the only ones to pull off blue and yellow-gold.

So, based on Los Angeles' past history with supporting NFL teams, any predictions on what having at least two teams will look like in five years?

Unless the Chargers hit the ground running and WIN and keep Winning and make the playoffs before the Rams they will rue the decision to move north to LA.There is still time Dean.Pull back those reins on that Charger and stay put.

I'm not sure why the league felt like putting TWO teams in LA was a good idea. The city has had trouble supporting even one in the past. To Verno's question above, I give it three seasons max, unless either the Rams or Chargers make a deep playoff run and buy themselves an extra season or two.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

What makes you think the league thought it was a good idea?   They did pretty much everything they could to prevent it from happening. 

. . . except for that minor detail of granting the Chargers the option to move . . . followed by the Raiders.

I get your point regarding the league's apparent preference in January 2017.  However, the league put itself in the position of being unable to stop the move as a result of its actions in January 2016.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

12 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

. . . except for that minor detail of granting the Chargers the option to move . . . followed by the Raiders.

I get your point regarding the league's apparent preference in January 2017.  However, the league put itself in the position of being unable to stop the move as a result of its actions in January 2016.

Yeah, if they really thought it was a terrible move then they absolutely lost a huge gamble leaving that door open.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

True, but putting in place a structure which allows something doesn't mean they wanted it to happen.  Especially when they  sweetened the pot for Dean to stay in San Diego. 

In some ways they should have known this would happen though. Dean is a second generation owner on his way out who has never had to work for anything in his life. Alex gave him everything he has so he's never had to make tough decisions or build something like he was being asked to do in San Diego. His management of the team the last decade and a half has proven he's in over his head at just the day to day, nevermind a project as massive as building a new venue. The only plan he could come up with was to have someone else gift him that as well.

Conversely you've seen what real owners and businessmen can come up with in San Diego with the new MLS bid where they're going to spend hundreds of millions of their own money to get something done.

The NFL might have given him that option strictly to send a message to SD that shlt is real now and they need to step up now or lose the team. 

I think the league bet on San Diego bending over (and the Raiders moving), lost that bet, and are now paying the price. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just thinkin' out loud here... until (and if)  MLS comes to San Diego, the city is now effectively a one major-league sport town (MLB, the Padres). This puts them on par with U.S. cities like Memphis, Raleigh-Durham, San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Jacksonville.   I can remember (easily) when I was a kid back in the 70s-early 80s, and they were a four or more team city: Chargers, Padres; Rockets followed by ABA Conquistadors and Sails, followed by Clippers; NASL Jaws and then Sockers; and WHA Mariners for a couple of years.  How the mighty have fallen... I feel kind of sad about it, I really like San Diego.

It is what it is.

39 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Just thinkin' out loud here... until (and if)  MLS comes to San Diego, the city is now effectively a one major-league sport town (MLB, the Padres). This puts them on par with U.S. cities like Memphis, Raleigh-Durham, San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Jacksonville.   I can remember (easily) when I was a kid back in the 70s-early 80s, and they were a four or more team city: Chargers, Padres; Rockets followed by ABA Conquistadors and Sails, followed by Clippers; NASL Jaws and then Sockers; and WHA Mariners for a couple of years.  How the mighty have fallen... I feel kind of sad about it, I really like San Diego.

Well to be fair San Diego was never a 4+ team town. The WHA was never quite on par with the NHL and the fact the NHL really subsumed them at the end proves that. Same with the ABA and the Conquistators/Sails. And the NASL was not a 'major league' if you're not considering MLS as such. And with all of those teams Mariners, Sails, Sockers, their demise were in part, or completely, tied to the pending demise of their respective not quite major league leagues.

With the NBA you are correct, San Diego has long been one of the few cities to lose two franchises in the same league. Though to be fair both moves, particularly the second with the Clippers, had less to do with San Diego and more to do with the ownership personalities and failures. Sterling in particular was an LA out of town putz who wanted his play thing closer to his house. And he treated them as such for almost 30 years while they sat mired in obscurity and mediocrity while few in LA noticed.

Does anyone remember what the vote turned out to be when the owners approved the Rams move?I want to say it was like 27-3 with 2 teams abstaining from voting.And while the Chargers were given a one year option why wasn't the Chargers move a separate vote.Or was it?Thanks. 

27 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Does anyone remember what the vote turned out to be when the owners approved the Rams move?I want to say it was like 27-3 with 2 teams abstaining from voting.And while the Chargers were given a one year option why wasn't the Chargers move a separate vote.Or was it?Thanks. 

It was a 30-2 vote in favour of the Rams' Inglewood plan. I suspect the two votes against were from Spanos and Jerry Richardson. I'm confident Mark Davis voted against his own business partner. The ghost of Al is strong with this one.

22 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It was a 30-2 vote in favour of the Rams' Inglewood plan. I suspect the two votes against were from Spanos and Jerry Richardson. I'm confident Mark Davis voted against his own business partner. The ghost of Al is strong with this one.

Though Al always abstained from voting.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 hours ago, B-Rich said:

11 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Well to be fair San Diego was never a 4+ team town. The WHA was never quite on par with the NHL and the fact the NHL really subsumed them at the end proves that. Same with the ABA and the Conquistators/Sails. And the NASL was not a 'major league' if you're not considering MLS as such. And with all of those teams Mariners, Sails, Sockers, their demise were in part, or completely, tied to the pending demise of their respective not quite major league leagues.

With the NBA you are correct, San Diego has long been one of the few cities to lose two franchises in the same league. Though to be fair both moves, particularly the second with the Clippers, had less to do with San Diego and more to do with the ownership personalities and failures. Sterling in particular was an LA out of town putz who wanted his play thing closer to his house. And he treated them as such for almost 30 years while they sat mired in obscurity and mediocrity while few in LA noticed.

San Diego dodged a bullet in '73:

053W-F+Fred+Kendall+%2528WASH%2529.jpg

wash2edita.jpg

25 minutes ago, colortv said:

I think the Chargers moving had more to do with the fact that the Spanos family simply isn't wealthy enough to fund a $1.5 billion project with minimal public contribution than anything else.

Which means he's not wealthy enough to be an NFL owner anymore...

Archived