Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

I have no doubts that the only reason they haven't made a dramatic change already is simply that they have chosen not to.  I don't believe that any rule is holding them back.  In a situation like this, they would have been able to get the exception had they made the effort.  By all accounts, they never even asked about it.  Can only assume it's because they know what they're doing in 2019 and want it to be huge.

I would normally agree with their approach if it was only one or maybe two seasons stuck in their old uniforms, but three?  That's too much. I'd've done it this season, and then maybe made some tweaks for the new stadium.  Similar to the tweaks the Eagles made between 2002 (Veterans' Stadium) and 2003 (first year at [Financial Services Company] Field.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt they planned it this way, but these uniforms in LA are probably going to be associated with a lot of losing. Maybe by 2019, they'll have a competitive team again when they bring out the good stuff.

On 12/19/2016 at 7:59 AM, Gothamite said:

But do the Seahawks?

Seattle v. San Francisco is a pretty good natural rilvary, particularly back when SF was competitive.  I think Seattle Is a better fit in the NFC.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

1 hour ago, Mitch B said:

Seattle v. San Francisco is a pretty good natural rilvary, particularly back when SF was competitive.  I think Seattle Is a better fit in the NFC.

Yeah, so do I.  I don't see the Seahawks as being interested in a move back to the AFC. 

For those of you who might have missed it, Paul Lukas' ESPN UniWatch contest on rebranding the Chargers is complete, with results out:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18632926/uni-watch-delivers-winning-entries-chargers-redesign-contest

Some interesting stuff on there, but what caught my eye was the winner in the "new team name" category, which was this one:

31616183493_3c5b4222b3_h.jpg

Really neat in terms of design, striping, and colors, but unfortunately (and unbeknownst to Paul until I pointed it out to him)  the name, logo and colors are a complete rip-off of the California Surf of the old NASL:

California_SurfLogo.JPG

The Surf played at Anaheim Stadium from 1978-81, by the way. As did the old Southern California Sun of the WFL.  So, that stadium was the home of "Surf n' Sun" ....

It is what it is.

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

For those of you who might have missed it, Paul Lukas' ESPN UniWatch contest on rebranding the Chargers is complete, with results out:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18632926/uni-watch-delivers-winning-entries-chargers-redesign-contest

Some interesting stuff on there, but what caught my eye was the winner in the "new team name" category, which was this one:

Really neat in terms of design, striping, and colors, but unfortunately (and unbeknownst to Paul until I pointed it out to him)  the name, logo and colors are a complete rip-off of the California Surf of the old NASL:

California_SurfLogo.JPG

The Surf played at Anaheim Stadium from 1978-81, by the way. As did the old Southern California Sun of the WFL.  So, that stadium was the home of "Surf n' Sun" ....

Rip off of the old NASL or not, that's a solid brand. They'd be wise to do something like it and leave the Chargers brand in the past.

3 hours ago, B-Rich said:

California_SurfLogo.JPG

Good catch.  This is what i first though of

USFL_Breakers_helmet_1983-1985.png.

On 26 de enero de 2017 at 9:06 PM, hawk36 said:

I agree. I think that if the team gets new owners, there would be a very good chance they would leave their melancholy fans in LA for the rabid ones that would re-emerge in SD with a move back. 

Well, that depends on how flexible the new owners are on the stadium location. 

Mission Valley should in use by then (hopefully by an MLS/SDSU stadium) and I don't see why the Padres would be any more cooperative with sharing downtown, if space downtown is even available by then.

6 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Ah, the Boston Nola Portland Vagabond Breakers...the team that couldn't find a home

Complete tangent here... saw quite a few Breakers games in New Orleans. They did pretty well attendance-wise and support-wise, despite the team record falling apart at the end of the season, and were locally owned (by developer Joe Canizaro). They would've stayed but for the announced eventual move to the fall;  there was no way Canizaro wanted to go up against the institution that was and is the Saints, so that's why he moved the team to Portland. Otherwise, they were a perfect fit here in the spring/summer.

It is what it is.

8 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Complete tangent here... saw quite a few Breakers games in New Orleans. They did pretty well attendance-wise and support-wise, despite the team record falling apart at the end of the season, and were locally owned (by developer Joe Canizaro). They would've stayed but for the announced eventual move to the fall;  there was no way Canizaro wanted to go up against the institution that was and is the Saints, so that's why he moved the team to Portland. Otherwise, they were a perfect fit here in the spring/summer.

And the Stars would have stayed in Philadelphia, and the Gamblers would have stayed in Houston rather than merging with the Generals.  All were victims of a certain orange-hued monster who had no interest in the USFL, but who wanted only to get an NFL team. 

If not for that spectacularly ill-advised move, the league would probably still be with us today.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 2/10/2017 at 6:53 PM, bosrs1 said:

Rip off of the old NASL or not, that's a solid brand. They'd be wise to do something like it and leave the Chargers brand in the past.

Disagree that they should change their name in the first place, but agree that that's a solid thing to change it to.

How many Chargers fans are following them to LA, and how many fans will only support them in LA under the 'Chargers' name?

And then, how many would support a 'new' teams with a 'new' identity. And how many former Chargers fans may someday given the team a chance if they at least threw a bone to their former fans and left the Chargers name for some future possibility, though exceedingly remote, that San Diego gets another team someday in the distant future?

On 2/11/2017 at 9:43 AM, Ray Lankford said:

Well, that depends on how flexible the new owners are on the stadium location. 

Mission Valley should in use by then (hopefully by an MLS/SDSU stadium) and I don't see why the Padres would be any more cooperative with sharing downtown, if space downtown is even available by then.

The Mission Valley development will specifically set aside enough land for an NFL stadium. 

20 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

How many Chargers fans are following them to LA, and how many fans will only support them in LA under the 'Chargers' name?

And then, how many would support a 'new' teams with a 'new' identity. And how many former Chargers fans may someday given the team a chance if they at least threw a bone to their former fans and left the Chargers name for some future possibility, though exceedingly remote, that San Diego gets another team someday in the distant future?

the billion dollar questions. these are some of the things they will ask themselves before moving forward (after stadium move-in) with any changes. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived