Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

There are certainly some very strong mixed signals being sent by both the Rams organization and other outlets.

It sure appears that way.

All I know is after that logo/wordmark was unveiled on Friday at the press conference there was an uproar on social media with overwhelming criticism because it looked totally St. Louis. Myself, I view it as being absolutely ridiculous to have the same logo with only changing the wording from St Louis to Los Angeles, but hold off until 2019 when the new stadium opens.

Waiting until 2019 when the new stadium opens is just ridiculous, as we're talking nearly a presidential election away from change. The Rams already have their throwbacks that they wear each season, all Nike would have to do is increase production of them and make a white jersey, there's already a blueprint for it. I refuse to believe a company as massive as Nike couldn't produce that in 8 months.

I don't even like that particular wordmark even in royal blue and yellow, but it sure beats the navy with dark-beige metallic St. Louis version that I saw Friday at the press conference. I was hoping they would go back to the one they had when they left after 1994 that said 'rams' in lowercase royal blue with the bright yellow 'LA' on top of it, I thought that one was damn cool.

Doing a recolor or switch to throwbacks would be very easy but the issue has to do with production timelines for all licensed products and whether or not any 2016 inventory has been produced yet. Granted if there's sizable inventory and they can squeeze in additional production, stan could easily offer to take the financial hit to get what he wants. What's a few extra million on top a couple billion anyway?

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the LA Rams at least get rid of the blue pants option. Gets pretty hot in LA...

I couldn't agree with you more.

If they're going to wear those St. Louis colors they need to at least bring back the beige metallic pants that they stopped wearing several seasons ago.

I hope the LA Rams at least get rid of the blue pants option. Gets pretty hot in LA...

I couldn't agree with you more.

If they're going to wear those St. Louis colors they need to at least bring back the beige metallic pants that they stopped wearing several seasons ago.

Indeed. The white/blue pant additions to the Rams set were never needed and never looked good. I already posted upthread, but this is a really nice look for the Rams (if they can't go to yellow/royal blue):

art.jpg

a_faulk_i.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So, from what I've read, the Chargers are apparently more or less in the final negotiations to move to LA, and might be making an announcement as soon as tomorrow.

If/when its confirmed, makes me wonder about the uniforms. Assuming the Rams go back to royal blue and yellow (which they should), what will the Chargers wear? Powder blue and yellow? Wonder if yellow will be a common color seen throughout the stadium.

Did the Rams eliminate the gold pants or have they just not worn them the last few years??

I think they were dropped officially, but I could be wrong. But it might be a good time to break them out. After all, what could be more LA than the golden glitz and bright lights?

Did the Rams eliminate the gold pants or have they just not worn them the last few years??

I think they were dropped officially, but I could be wrong. But it might be a good time to break them out. After all, what could be more LA than the golden glitz and bright lights?

They were officially dropped, but I suspect those aren't subject to the same regulations and could be reintroduced at any time.

Honestly I am happy the way the Rams are handling this.

I know people want them to change right away but they need to get

You're one of the few then.

Go have a look all over social media and you'll see the overwhelming criticism they're receiving for using the St. Louis colors and wordmark and only changing the wording from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

They were officially dropped, but I suspect those aren't subject to the same regulations and could be reintroduced at any time.

I believe so too, along with making the throwbacks their primaries rather than alternates and producing a white jersey for road games.

If they take to the field next season looking like 'St. Louis' it's very poor marketing on their part

Go have a look all over social media and you'll see the overwhelming criticism they're receiving for using the St. Louis colors and wordmark and only changing the wording from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

Yeah I know I might be in the minority but let the Rams get this right. The Rams are not just trying to satisfy the old LA Rams fans but also reach new fans that remember those old LA teams too!! My point being we got a lot of social media outrage to change the the Clippers logo after they got sold. They listened, did a rush job and look what we got!! Patience is sometimes a good thing.

I believe so too, along with making the throwbacks their primaries rather than alternates and producing a white jersey for road games.

If they take to the field next season looking like 'St. Louis' it's very poor marketing on their part

So you think it was bad marketing when they moved to St. Louis and kept the LA colors and uniforms for the first few years there??

I just can't see the St Louis Colors going forward. It seems so easy (and better marketing) to adopt the alts until the new stadium opens.

Same with the Chargers, they should move to powder blue as the home primary, with a re-do in a few years.

Bright sunny 2nd colors (yellow) for both teams.

I just can't see the St Louis Colors going forward. It seems so easy (and better marketing) to adopt the alts until the new stadium opens.

Same with the Chargers, they should move to powder blue as the home primary, with a re-do in a few years.

Bright sunny 2nd colors (yellow) for both teams.

I can't see them with the same colors going forward either!! They WILL rebrand (in time) but to do it twice within 3 years seems stupid plus the NFL probably wouldn't let them do that. Selling the current jersey and the throwback makes sence. More jerseys equal more merchandise and more money. Remember this is the NFL!! How is that bad marketing??

I'm actually a big fan of their current logos and wordmarks.. Changing the words "St. Louis" to "Los Angeles" is really the only thing that needs to be done.. A recolor of those items whenever they officially change colors would be the only other thing, but that's dependent on the color change.. As for the logos themselves, they're great.. Solid, strong Ram logo, wordmarks that evoke Ram imagery, etc don't need to be changed just because they're changing locations.. If that's the case, they should change helmet designs as well because they had horns in St. Louis (ridiculous I know, but you get the point).. Even though the logos were created in St Louis, they're not distinctly "St Louis".. The only part of the identity that is truly "St Louis" is the navy/gold color scheme.. I would honestly be perfectly happy with their current identity - recolored royal and yellow (uniforms, logos, everything)

I do love the Rams-head logo, but the rest of the marks are weak.

I have never liked this one:

1035.gif

The horned-R is just a bit too cute. The letters are over-designed with extra fussy angles. And the shortness of the word seems accentuated by both its height and the pointless underscore.

This has always been a far superior wordmark:

grfbe07kghepvedhhyr2.gif

Yeah I know I might be in the minority but let the Rams get this right. The Rams are not just trying to satisfy the old LA Rams fans but also reach new fans that remember those old LA teams too!! My point being we got a lot of social media outrage to change the the Clippers logo after they got sold. They listened, did a rush job and look what we got!! Patience is sometimes a good thing.

So you think it was bad marketing when they moved to St. Louis and kept the LA colors and uniforms for the first few years there??

No. It used to be that these franchise identities had currency. In today's one-day uniform world, maybe it doesn't carry as much weight, but it was the RAMS that moved to St. Louis. Using the name and colors meant something. It didn't need to be customized for St. Louis or the millennium or any other reason.

It was the NFL Rams playing in St. Louis. Like the NFL Colts still playing in Indy. And the Chicago-St. Louis Cardinals playing in Arizona. Clearly the same, elite team. Not some new brand or a knockoff.

Then the Browns deal happened and identities started staying with cities instead of franchises.

Have the Titans -- even with a Super Bowl appearance -- reached the level of the Oilers yet? Will they ever?

Is the Ravens brand superior to the Browns yet, with 2 rings?

Maybe an argument can be made for both, but I'm not sure I agree that the Baltimore Browns with two Super Bowl rings wouldn't be a far superior franchise to some fans than the imitation that replaced them in Cleveland.

Archived