Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with having a gray alt (besides just that it sounds ugly, and in the NBA and CFB dark gray alts are getting really overplayed) is that, as I understand it, you can't make an alt out of a non-uniform color. That's why the Lions shoe-horned that muddy-gray outline on their numbers, as well as the somewhat pointless black number trim and facemask on the Jets. If the Chargers want to have an ugly gray alt, that's not good, but as has been pointed out a lot the last few days, 9 out of 10 NFL alts are bad... the real problem will be with the pointless inclusion of gray in an otherwise nice color scheme.  Hmm... gray swooshes, maybe?

I wonder if @TruColor would be either willing or able to shed some light on the gray business?

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The problem with having a gray alt (besides just that it sounds ugly, and in the NBA and CFB dark gray alts are getting really overplayed) is that, as I understand it, you can't make an alt out of a non-uniform color. That's why the Lions show-horned that muddy-gray outline on their numbers, as well as the somewhat pointless black number trim and facemask on the Jets. If the Chargers want to have an ugly gray alt, that's not good, but as has been pointed out a lot the last few days, 9 out of 10 NFL alts are bad... the real problem will be with the pointless inclusion of gray in an otherwise nice color scheme.  Hmm... gray swooshes, maybe?

I wonder if @TruColor would be either willing or able to shed some light on the gray business?

I don’t want a grey alternate at all, but could they feasibly make the facemask grey, put the color value on the style guide (like the Colts just did) and say “it’s a team color”? Just thinking out loud.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

20 hours ago, Newport said:

I gotta feeling it’s going to be a let down! Everything we’ve thought was going to be good, ended up being trash and everything we thought was going to be trash, ended up being almost perfect. The part that scares me is how well received they are amongst the players. I can only hope the emojis aren’t on the uniforms in any form or fashion.

Examples, please.

1 hour ago, ARTnSocal said:

spacer.png

Those Chargers colors, so thick and warm, I'd love to dive in and swim in them. They can't conduct a serious inquiry into any new look without at least acknowledging this classic. But the have, for 20+ years ... always teasing with bits of a light-ER blue, but never embracing that pure powder beauty. 

Can't say the same for the Bills' simplecolors, crayon blue and red (that's Jack Kemp btw), but I've really been liking their Josh-Allen-era emphasis on the throwbacks ... the motion-less red buffalo somehow appeals to me.

I like the tri-configuration of that Chargers-John Hadl look too. White helmet over first color jersey over second color pants. Seems pretty rare  ... Wyoming Cowboys only one off the top of my head:

spacer.png

wS7MJ6T.png

4 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I don’t want a grey alternate at all, but could they feasibly make the facemask grey, put the color value on the style guide (like the Colts just did) and say “it’s a team color”? Just thinking out loud.

Maybe.  I don't know how the rules surrounding that would work.  For myself, I wouldn't like that as a justification.  I'm firmly in the "gray facemasks are equipment, and don't count for or against the color scheme" crowd. 

32 minutes ago, JOEYxFRESCO said:

My prediction:

Home: Powder Blue

Away: White

Color Rush: Grey 

Alt/Throwback: Royal Blue

If the twitter guy is telling the truth I think he mixed up his jerseys and only saw the retail thumbnails or something 

Ty Long only asked the guy to message him because he hasn't seen them either...or so he says...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Maybe.  I don't know how the rules surrounding that would work.  For myself, I wouldn't like that as a justification.  I'm firmly in the "gray facemasks are equipment, and don't count for or against the color scheme" crowd. 

I’m totally with you there, I hope they wouldn’t do that either. If they’re allowed to do that though, I could see it being tried. My guess is if the Colts can add facemask grey and anvil black to their style guide, the Chargers could be allowed to do something similar.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Just now, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m totally with you there, I hope they wouldn’t do that either. If they’re allowed to do that though, I could see it being tried. My guess is if the Colts can add facemask grey and anvil black to their style guide, the Chargers could do something similar.

Sure.  But I like to think the Colts only added gray (and hilariously named it "facemask gray") as a dig at the people who complain that no team should wear gray masks unless gray is in their color scheme. (That seems unlikely, though, as it would imply that the kind of thing we argue about here would matter that much to anyone else.)

34 minutes ago, colortv said:

Oh my goodness, that twitter poster is in San Diego.

But I thought there wasn't one soul left in San Diego who was still a Chargers fan?

First off, no one ever said that. 

Secondly, let it go. 

Archived