Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

10 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

As opposed to what they were trotting out the past few years?

Yes...if the new ones don't have any orange, then the current set is better.  I never thought in a million years I could possibly say that, but I guess it's Tampa so we should have known they'd screw this up.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question:  If the Paul Lukas info is true, and the similarities to the Bucs exist....do you think maybe the Falcons are going a different route? Do you think the league has any involvement there so that teams within the same division don't look too similar? 

I guess what I'm saying is....if we're getting red jerseys with a darker helmet for the Bucs and no orange...maybe we'd be getting black jerseys and red helmets for the Falcons.  I don't know, just a thought. 

15 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Yes...if the new ones don't have any orange, then the current set is better.  I never thought in a million years I could possibly say that, but I guess it's Tampa so we should have known they'd screw this up.

That’s just ridiculous. The outgoing set is a :censored:ing clown show, this new set will at least be respectable.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

This new set will be at worst horrifically dull, not a monstrosity of design-fu like the one it's replacing was.

Ditching orange altogether isn't a good sign for the redesign; but as long as they actually make a jersey that isn't hot garbage, I suppose I can live with it. I'll grumble about it, but it wouldn't be offensive to my soul.

5 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Paul Lukas mockup is nothing like the Falcons, I hate that comparison. The Falcons don't have pewter, the Bucs don't use black like that, I've never gotten the two teams confused and never will, that's ridiculous 

Right. This is a sports uniform board where we pay attention to the tiniest details in uniforms. Then all of a sudden people stop doing that just so they can complain. The Jets/Roughriders thing last year killed me.

1 hour ago, kutztown said:

Question:  If the Paul Lukas info is true, and the similarities to the Bucs exist....do you think maybe the Falcons are going a different route? Do you think the league has any involvement there so that teams within the same division don't look too similar? 

I guess what I'm saying is....if we're getting red jerseys with a darker helmet for the Bucs and no orange...maybe we'd be getting black jerseys and red helmets for the Falcons.  I don't know, just a thought. 

For one, the Falcons will have black jerseys and other elements to clearly differentiate from the bucs. Red , black, white will always look the same, no matter what team. They definitely won't look too similar, I'm confident of that.

1 hour ago, kutztown said:

Do you think the league has any involvement there so that teams within the same division don't look too similar? 

No.  There's never been anything to indicate the league would care about something like that, at least not enough to involve itself.

3 hours ago, Claystation360 said:

I totally understand it being too cluttered, but I feel they are removing the wrong color, you have your dark color in pewter. It can replace black in most applications. 

Red and orange together is Tampa Bay, yes I feel pewter has mostly superseded orange but not enough to totally wipe it out from the uniform besides the logo and swoosh.

Huge mistake.

Oh, I agree completely.  Black should be the first thing they ditch.

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Paul Lukas mockup is nothing like the Falcons, I hate that comparison. The Falcons don't have pewter, the Bucs don't use black like that, I've never gotten the two teams confused and never will, that's ridiculous 

You're right. But you also don't need to try too hard to understand the point of those comparisons. In ditching orange, the Bucs would lose a key differentiator that clearly sets them apart from other teams. You're correct that they won't be confused by the Falcons, but they will look a lot more like the Falcons than they ever have before. That's the point. 

I've thought the Falcons and Cardinals jerseys were too similar too. In my perfect world:

1. Falcons (red jersey with white numeral outlined in black)

2. Cardinals (cardinal red jersey with white numeral like old school ones)

3. Bucs (red jersey with white numeral outlined in pewter)

Orange isn’t pointless if they are going away from Bucco Bruce. It differentiates them from the 10,000 other red and black dominant football teams. 

Nike’s minimalist phase has got. To. End. This is feeling like the Jaguars, an upgrade, but a meh one at that.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

The Maple Leafs and Lightning's jerseys don't look identical, but it sure doesn't stop people from eviscerating the latter for ditching the color that made them stand out in favor of becoming Detroit ala Toronto rather then sticking with their own distinct look. The Lightning should always be a black/blue/white team, it's a much more visually distinct look for them. The Bucs should embrace orange, not completely eject it aside from the occasional throwback game.

If the leak's true, this is the Bucs essentially turning themselves into "The Buccaneers ala the Falcons or Cardinals", not...y'know, "the Buccaneers ala the Buccaneers". Orange has been in the team's blood since the dawn of the franchise, it'd be dumb to rid of it to become Falcons-lite.

I don't care how goddamned "🔥 🔥 🔥" it seems to the marketing division on paper, you don't make your colors a copy of a division rival and not expect to be eviscerated for it.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

No.  There's never been anything to indicate the league would care about something like that, at least not enough to involve itself.

Not since the 1940s, at least.  They had a rule as late as 1948 that all teams needed their own color scheme.  The Packers managed to skirt this by officially keeping green in their color scheme, although it didn't appear on their home uniforms at all.   On paper, the Rams were blue and gold, the Packers were blue, gold, and green.  On the field, their uniforms were virtually identical (especially in those years when the Packers didn't wear sock stripes).

7ff87ceda015c20f6e8f4bb838a5ddad.jpg1942_Cleveland.png

But now?  No.  There's no reason why teams have to deliberately distinguish themselves from other teams in the league.  Not even other teams in their division.  Or we wouldn't have had all those white helmets in the AFC East for so long.

26 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Orange isn’t pointless if they are going away from Bucco Bruce. It differentiates them from the 10,000 other red and black dominant football teams. 

Nike’s minimalist phase has got. To. End. This is feeling like the Jaguars, an upgrade, but a meh one at that.

jameis_winston_jpg-3?wid=1250&hei=703&$w

Wearing a banana hammock would be an upgrade over this - a "meh one at that"?  Surely, you can't be serious!

30 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

I agree that the Jags went too far minimal. I think a refined version of their previous set would've been a great solution. 

Fun fact: red and pewter have been the main colors for the Bucs longer than creamsicle, red, and white were.

Just thought this was notable as everyone debates the future of orange (or lack thereof) in the Bucs’ color scheme.

Archived