MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

A lot of sports team names are rooted in the local lingo.  Dodgers makes no sense outside of Brooklyn.  I had to look up where the Pacers name came from.  Sounders? 

And people can make almost any team sound bad if they want to.  You shouldn't base your team name around what it could turn into.

Seeing that STL look among the rest...yea that ain't red y'all. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

A lot of sports team names are rooted in the local lingo.  Dodgers makes no sense outside of Brooklyn.  I had to look up where the Pacers name came from.  Sounders? 

And people can make almost any team sound bad if they want to.  You shouldn't base your team name around what it could turn into.

Seeing that STL look among the rest...yea that ain't red y'all. 

Trolley Dodgers doesn't make sense in LA?

4 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

MLS is just the worst. I kind of want them to collapse. Seattle and Portland and other cities that care will find a way to have a club still. Although I’m sure MLS will hold onto the trademarks for dear life even though they weren’t even the original creators in the aforementioned cities.

Fortunately they keep finding investors who keep finding more investors who keep finding more investors.

I wonder if there is a name for that kind of scheme...

Not what you're thinking.  Because words mean things.

It's frustrating, because many of the recent unveilings have been very, very good.  Austin, Miami, New York City, LA, Charlotte.  All solid-to-excellent.  But Nashville, Chicago and St. Louis are huge steps in the wrong direction.  I guess we can say that all three of those at least use unique color schemes, which is why I'd put the MLS branding as a whole up against any other pro league in this country - no more clunkers than any other, and more color variety.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, burgundy said:

spacer.png

I have a golf shirt this exact color, and the color was labeled as "Jazzy", for whatever that's worth. In certain light it can look more red, but it is most definitely pink/magenta.

Calling this PMS 1925 shade “magenta/pink not red” is a little harsh, IMO. It‘s unfortunate that the RGB shade the team is using is on the cooler side of the printed color... but, there’s only one shade on this “magenta” chart that is close enough to be considered near this shade of red (206)

deb8122e632c7fbad6a7f72324bc7c86.jpg

Sidebar: you can approximate a Pantone shade’s color makeup from the number. For example, if you know your typical athletic red is PMS 186 or 187 and royal blue is PMS 287, you can place a purple closer to blue or red based on their number alone (259 is closer to blue, 234 is closer to red).

In this case, Pantone 1925 has more blue in it that your average red, but it’s not breaking that line around 200 PMS to get into magenta.

This isn’t always the case as the Pantone libraries have expanded over the years to add new shades, but it’s generally a solid guiding principle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GFB said:

Calling this PMS 1925 shade “magenta/pink not red” is a little harsh, IMO. It‘s unfortunate that the RGB shade the team is using is on the cooler side of the printed color... but, there’s only one shade on this “magenta” chart that is close enough to be considered near this shade of red (206)

deb8122e632c7fbad6a7f72324bc7c86.jpg

Sidebar: you can typically approximate a Pantone shade’s color makeup from the number. For example, if you know your typical athletic red is PMS 186 or 187 and royal blue is PMS 287, you can place a purple closer to blue or red based on their number alone (259 is closer to blue, 234 is closer to red).

In this case, Pantone 1925 has more blue in it that your typical red, but it’s not breaking that line around 200 PMS to get into magenta.

This isn’t always the case as the Pantone libraries have expanded to add new shades, but it’s generally a solid guiding principle.

Yeah 1925C definitely is more red in my Pantone swatch book. It's a lighter red, but red. Compared to 200C (Cardinals red) or even 186C, it "appears" a little bit pinkish, but not magenta-esque. So it kinda straddles that line pretty well of being red, but a unique shade to (North American?) sports.

7 hours ago, Maroon said:

City was among the most popular of the approximately 6,000 submissions and suggestions the club received, and in the end it beat out United, Gateway and Stars among “the four names that kind of kept coming back up,” she said.

I guess at least we didn't get yet another United? Although that wouldn't have had the whole City vs County thing (which I didn't know existed until people here started talking about it) so maybe it would've been the better choice.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

Another thing about the badge that really bothers me is the outline: it's very nice, up until the two sides meet at the bottom: instead of continuing with the rounded corners they have for every other curve, it meets in a point, the only pointy bit on the crest. I'm almost positive we'll see this team get overhauled before too long, hopefully by a team that actually knows what they're doing.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

Regarding the 20 designers thing, the Seattle Kraken team had so many designers and focus groups I was sure they were going to mess it up... but it worked out in the end. I think it depends on either club leadership making a good call or a proper group dynamic. 

• Like 3

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• 1 year later...

Kicking this thread back up to show how the logo is being used on the new stadium's seating. 

I've long been an advocate for wordless logos, like the Timbers, and I'd hoped that maybe St. Louis CITY SC would also use their mark without the wordmark dragged vertically up the right side. It looks like they're doing that, at least on the stadium seats. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

It's their current crest with the "St Louis City" wording and vertical bar removed. The arch and the SC are in their exact same locations. My guess is that it's a secondary logo for use in cases like this. Minnesota United does similar things with their logo and removes the lettering in certain uses (albeit it's a lesser change to the overall crest).

Edit: Made this to show...

spacer.png

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Digby said:

Looks cool but it's hard not to read it as an A. One more reason to wish they were an "Athletic" or something, instead of yet another "City".

Kansas City or Philadelphia probably should have considered "Athletic"

• WOAH 1

I saw, I came, I left.