NFL 2020

FormerLurker

10 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Wasn’t Bernstine a TE who converted to RB?

Yep - that's why it was allowed. A position change doesn't require a number change as long as eligibility isn't at issue.

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yep - that's why it was allowed. A position change doesn't require a number change as long as eligibility isn't at issue.

So he’s Ty Montgomery’s numerical ancestor, essentially. Bernstine did change numbers when he changed teams, though - IIRC he was #33 when he played for the Broncos. 

That makes me think of several others who played in the ‘80s and ‘90s wearing unusual numbers. Jim Jensen had a long career with the Dolphins under Don Shula (RIP), being used as a sort of jack-of-all-trades, always wearing #11. He apparently appeared at QB, RB, WR, and TE but must’ve been drafted as a QB. 

There’s also Dennis Gentry, who wore #29 with the Bears but was often classified as a WR. He seems to have been an undersized wideout-running back hybrid who was mostly used as a returner, but he must have been drafted as a running back. 

There have also been other players who wore numbers they shouldn’t have logically worn, usually for just a season or two. Browns WR Michael Jackson (no relation to the singer except they are both unfortunately no longer living) wore #1 early in his career. Can anyone think of others? (Regular season or playoff appearances necessary; preseason rules are different.)

18 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

So he’s Ty Montgomery’s numerical ancestor, essentially. Bernstine did change numbers when he changed teams, though - IIRC he was #33 when he played for the Broncos. 

That makes me think of several others who played in the ‘80s and ‘90s wearing unusual numbers. Jim Jensen had a long career with the Dolphins under Don Shula (RIP), being used as a sort of jack-of-all-trades, always wearing #11. He apparently appeared at QB, RB, WR, and TE but must’ve been drafted as a QB. 

There’s also Dennis Gentry, who wore #29 with the Bears but was often classified as a WR. He seems to have been an undersized wideout-running back hybrid who was mostly used as a returner, but he must have been drafted as a running back. 

There have also been other players who wore numbers they shouldn’t have logically worn, usually for just a season or two. Browns WR Michael Jackson (no relation to the singer except they are both unfortunately no longer living) wore #1 early in his career. Can anyone think of others? (Regular season or playoff appearances necessary; preseason rules are different.)

I like these kinds of things. It offers a level of uniqueness to a player. Mark Barron & Deone Bucannon are good defensive examples. Both were drafted as safeties, but transitioned to linebackers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bobby Mitchell & Dexter McCluster are good offensive examples. Both drafted as running backs, but transitioned to wide receiver

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also like how the Ravens utilize Patrick Ricard as FB & DL. Although I think he’s more FB than DL these days 

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, scraw28 said:

I hope the dolphins petition to the league to use both sets of the throwback uniforms as the primary home and away for 2020 season to honor shula

I could get behind this, but only if it lasts for one season.

• TBGKon locked this topic
  • LMU unlocked this topic