NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I hate this thread

Don't hate the thread, hate the "threads" that inspired this discussion.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Wasn’t Bernstine a TE who converted to RB?

Yep - that's why it was allowed. A position change doesn't require a number change as long as eligibility isn't at issue.

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yep - that's why it was allowed. A position change doesn't require a number change as long as eligibility isn't at issue.

So he’s Ty Montgomery’s numerical ancestor, essentially. Bernstine did change numbers when he changed teams, though - IIRC he was #33 when he played for the Broncos. 

That makes me think of several others who played in the ‘80s and ‘90s wearing unusual numbers. Jim Jensen had a long career with the Dolphins under Don Shula (RIP), being used as a sort of jack-of-all-trades, always wearing #11. He apparently appeared at QB, RB, WR, and TE but must’ve been drafted as a QB. 

There’s also Dennis Gentry, who wore #29 with the Bears but was often classified as a WR. He seems to have been an undersized wideout-running back hybrid who was mostly used as a returner, but he must have been drafted as a running back. 

There have also been other players who wore numbers they shouldn’t have logically worn, usually for just a season or two. Browns WR Michael Jackson (no relation to the singer except they are both unfortunately no longer living) wore #1 early in his career. Can anyone think of others? (Regular season or playoff appearances necessary; preseason rules are different.)

18 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

So he’s Ty Montgomery’s numerical ancestor, essentially. Bernstine did change numbers when he changed teams, though - IIRC he was #33 when he played for the Broncos. 

That makes me think of several others who played in the ‘80s and ‘90s wearing unusual numbers. Jim Jensen had a long career with the Dolphins under Don Shula (RIP), being used as a sort of jack-of-all-trades, always wearing #11. He apparently appeared at QB, RB, WR, and TE but must’ve been drafted as a QB. 

There’s also Dennis Gentry, who wore #29 with the Bears but was often classified as a WR. He seems to have been an undersized wideout-running back hybrid who was mostly used as a returner, but he must have been drafted as a running back. 

There have also been other players who wore numbers they shouldn’t have logically worn, usually for just a season or two. Browns WR Michael Jackson (no relation to the singer except they are both unfortunately no longer living) wore #1 early in his career. Can anyone think of others? (Regular season or playoff appearances necessary; preseason rules are different.)

I like these kinds of things. It offers a level of uniqueness to a player. Mark Barron & Deone Bucannon are good defensive examples. Both were drafted as safeties, but transitioned to linebackers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bobby Mitchell & Dexter McCluster are good offensive examples. Both drafted as running backs, but transitioned to wide receiver

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also like how the Ravens utilize Patrick Ricard as FB & DL. Although I think he’s more FB than DL these days 

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, scraw28 said:

I hope the dolphins petition to the league to use both sets of the throwback uniforms as the primary home and away for 2020 season to honor shula

I could get behind this, but only if it lasts for one season.

Archived