NFL 2020

FormerLurker

5 hours ago, FamousAtticus said:

I mean as fan chants go, you honestly cant say that "DUUUVAL" is that more cheesier than the traditional "Fly Eagles Fly" cheese fest or "Bear Down, Chicago Bears". Its all the same to me, fandom. 

I've never heard a "Fly Eagles Fly" fan chant.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't want to make this overly-serious but:

Most teams have a gimmick. Something they use as a phrase for their team, hashtags, marketing campaigns. They don't belong on uniforms, unless its like inside the collar kind of thing, which i like there.

Penn State has the "We Are" chant. That will never go on a jersey, but it is everywhere here, from touring the campus as a student to the whiteout, it is literally everywhere. It ends up in tons of the graphics, its just part of the culture. "We Are" means something to us Penn Staters, and ya just might not get it as an outsider. There's an awesome story about it if you wanted to look up it's origin, but it is overall part of the brand, part of the team. Every game sees one half of the stadium shout "We Are" and the other yell "Penn State" in response.

Same thing with DUUUVAL. It is just Jacksonville's *thing*. It will never end up on a jersey but it helps them build their brand. You hear Duval, you think of the jags. Thats the goal. It doesn't mean anything to most people, but to the Jaguars and their fans, it means something. It will never get to a jersey outside of the inside collar. ATL is at least the team initials (I don't like it, but i get it)

As for "Fly Eagles Fly," that is the Eagles fight song. Look it up, you probably heard it. Every touchdown plays that song, and more. Sung at every Eagles watch party I've ever been to. Sung in the streets of State College when they won their Super Bowl. The ending of it is the "E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!" that can be heard at any home game, even on TV (and in Los Angeles). Also, slang in the area and among eagles fans is "go birds!" Can be used as a hello, a thank you, a goodbye, a celebration, anything. Its just part of the brand.

Every team has their thing and some change every year, some never change. It matters to the followers of the team, but maybe not to everyone else. I hope this gives insight of some kind to those of you confused

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

10 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I like when receivers wear numbers 10-19. Personally, I’d rather a WR wear 10-29 and 80-89 be reserved for TEs.

Meanwhile, I'm over here hoping for the next WR to wear #25 like.... (Bonus points for anyone who can guess who I referenced here.)

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yup. Outside of Larry Fitzgerald, the only other football Cardinal most non-fans know is Pat Tillman or (maybe) Kurt Warner. Heck, when the Cardinals do redesign, I kind of expect them to follow in Arizona State's example of deifying Pat Tillman. 

8721mh2266_tillman1.jpg?w=1000&f=1&nofb=1

So I guess that'd leave out Dan Dierdorf, Seth Joyner, Larry Centers, Terry Metcalf, Night Train Lane (for the time he was there), Aeneas Williams, Rob Moore, Jake Plummer and Adrian Wilson? Yes, I know some of those were pre-Phoenix (in Lane's case, pre-St. Louis), but still. You should give folk more credit. 😁

7 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Jacksonville annexed the Duval county government in the 60s. That's the only reason it is the largest city in florida by land. It didn't want suburbs to drain its taxes or something like that

Yeah, city-county merger type deal.  Several other cities have [inflated] their actual sizes the same way, namely Louisville, Nashville, and Indianapolis (which went so far as to call theirs Unigov--but let's get back to football here).

7 hours ago, FamousAtticus said:

I lived in JAX from 1995-1998 (was their for the Jags Inaugural season). It's basically just that, a pride thing. I was in middle & high school when I lived there and vividly remember listening to the various radio stations from pop music to hip-hop and lots of people would call in and rep their area of town, high school and Jax in general. So not surprised that, "DUUUVAL" would become the Jags rally chant.

I mean as fan chants go, you honestly cant say that "DUUUVAL" is that more cheesier than the traditional "Fly Eagles Fly" cheese fest or "Bear Down, Chicago Bears". Its all the same to me, fandom. 

Granted, they don't print it on t- shirts, but we do realize the Detroit Pistons have been doing this same type of thing for years upon years, right? (DEEEEETROIT BASKETBAAAALLL!!!) So yeah. Speaking of which...

4 hours ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

Funny how dismissive some of you guys are about anything you guys aren't culturally used to.

^ That part...and as someone who done been all across this coumntinent and back, several times over, and halfway around the world and back, it's been grating my gears for years.  I'll tell ya what, though--and i say this respectfully: when all this quarantine mess is overwith, I REEEEALLY hope some of you guys get to get out of your local enclaves more and go meet some new people. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 minutes ago, Buc said:

^ That part...and as someone who done been all across this coumntinent and back, several times over, and halfway around the world and back, it's been grating my gears for years.  I'll tell ya what, though--and i say this respectfully: when all this quarantine mess is overwith, I REEEEALLY hope some of you guys get to get out of your local enclaves more and go meet some new people. 

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

He didn't get deep at all. Lol... If anything, he's right. Some people are so used to they're personal surroundings/perspective, that it exudes on this forum. Some people on here post and say things as if they've never experienced any indifferences in life.

I'm from Maryland. In my home county there is DuVal High School. I'm like 70% sure they've been chanting Duuuuval at football and basketball games within the last decade *shrug*

Hotter Than July > Thriller

7 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

He didn't get deep at all. Lol... If anything, he's right. Some people are so used to they're personal surroundings/perspective, that it exudes on this forum. Some people on here post and say things as if they've never experienced any indifferences in life.

Most of us were joking about the whole Duval thing. That’s all it was... jokes. Then people started to take it way too personally.

Again, It’s okay to drop a few jokes every once in a while... good lord.

I personally think that the NFL should have these rules for numbers:

QBs, Kickers, and Punters: 1-19 (easily identifiable for roughing the passer, kicker penalties)

WRs: 1-19, 80-81

RBs: 1-40

TEs: 80-89

OL: 50-79

Defense can wear any, as their positions do not determine any rule specialties.

Tradition will always reign supreme DLines will always wear 90s, d-backs the 20s, but the lines should be blurred just as much as positions are today.

Offensive line is the only must, as they are ineligible receivers unless they report otherwise.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

1 hour ago, Buc said:

So I guess that'd leave out Dan Dierdorf, Seth Joyner, Larry Centers, Terry Metcalf, Night Train Lane (for the time he was there), Aeneas Williams, Rob Moore, Jake Plummer and Adrian Wilson? Yes, I know some of those were pre-Phoenix (in Lane's case, pre-St. Louis), but still. You should give folk more credit. 😁

Well hey, I didn't know many of those guys played for the Cardinals! 😁 I did know Jake Plummer played for them, but I think about ASU and the Broncos more with Jake.

I'm not passing a test on famous NFL players pre-2000 anytime soon. 🙃

18 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

I personally think that the NFL should have these rules for numbers:

QBs, Kickers, and Punters: 1-19 (easily identifiable for roughing the passer, kicker penalties)

WRs: 1-19, 80-81

RBs: 1-40

TEs: 80-89

Defense can wear any, as their positions do not determine any rule specialties.

Tradition will always reign supreme DLines will always wear 90s, d-backs the 20s, but the lines should be blurred just as much as positions are today.

Offensive line is the only must, as they are ineligible receivers unless they report otherwise.

I see your numbers and raise you this-

QB, K, P: 0-19

WR: 10-29

RB: 20-49

TE: 40-49, 80-89

DL: 50-59, 70-79, 90-99

LB: 30-59, 80-99

DB: 20-49

We're probably too far down the rabbit hole to take numbers in the teens off of WRs now, but it's certainly been raised for me again now as a Dolphins fan seeing Tagovailoa forced to pick from a bunch of single digit numbers or 10 because all the numbers in the teens are either retired or taken up by WRs. 

Especially when there are currently 4 numbers free in the 80s. 

3 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

We're probably too far down the rabbit hole to take numbers in the teens off of WRs now, but it's certainly been raised for me again now as a Dolphins fan seeing Tagovailoa forced to pick from a bunch of single digit numbers or 10 because all the numbers in the teens are either retired or taken up by WRs. 

Especially when there are currently 4 numbers free in the 80s. 

I could live with Tua wearing 2 or 4

college number was 13 so,

3-1=2

1+3=4

32 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

@Buc Fred, right? (Insert "This is what peak performance looks like" meme.)

8963917e_25-fred-biletnikoff.jpeg

Winner winner! 🏆 Fred Biletnikoff, namesake of the Biletnokoff Award, given to D-1A CFB's most outstanding wideout. Dude was the man at Florida State (😁).

Fun fact: his junior year, Biletnikoff led the team in receptions--and interceptions, as a two-way player. He was kinda Deion before Deion--okay that might be a stretch, but you get the point. (In fact, until Prime Time broke it, Biletnikoff held the record for longest INT for TD, taking one back for 99 yards.) He was also FSU's first consensus All-American.  Oh and he also wore #25 as a Seminole, too.

fred-biletnikoff.png?w=1200&h=627&crop=1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived