NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

It’s only a problem if the NFL lacks guidelines. Primary and secondary colors only. Black is not a team color for the Rams at all so its eliminated as a possibility. That’s how you do it. Make it as simple as possible, only color swaps, no logo alterations, etc.

But rams are already rumored to have a BFBS alternate this coming offseason 

• Like 1

Multiple helmets should be allowed, and hypotheticals like the Rams abusing the rule to create black helmets shouldn't really scare any of us. After all, most of y'all already despise their look anyways. Seriously though, multiple helmets would allow for some of our favorite throwbacks to actually make a return, as well as smoothing some alternate looks that don't flow smoothly as they exist now, like the White Tiger Bengals or the Chargers in Navy. The benefits of it going away far outweigh any concerns I have of potentially gimmicky stuff. 

• Like 8

spacer.png

36 minutes ago, henburg said:

Multiple helmets should be allowed, and hypotheticals like the Rams abusing the rule to create black helmets shouldn't really scare any of us. After all, most of y'all already despise their look anyways. Seriously though, multiple helmets would allow for some of our favorite throwbacks to actually make a return, as well as smoothing some alternate looks that don't flow smoothly as they exist now, like the White Tiger Bengals or the Chargers in Navy. The benefits of it going away far outweigh any concerns I have of potentially gimmicky stuff. 

Yeah kinda odd people are so against it. I really hope it gets changed.

• Like 2

Before the helmet rule change, most, if not all, alternate helmets were used for throwbacks, correct? Why would teams really opt for anything but that?

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

Chances are if there is a two-helmet rule, we’d get these, plus a return of most of those above among others-

spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 4

Along with many aplenty possibilities for lots of other franchises, my favorite potential reason for multiple helmets being permitted would be the Baltimore Ravens' 'CoLamaRush' uniforms first of all returning again next season — but especially becoming even more cohesive & color-coordinated via this theoretical, hypothetical, corresponding beauty:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hurl 1

58 minutes ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

Along with many aplenty possibilities for lots of other franchises, my favorite potential reason for multiple helmets being permitted would be the Baltimore Ravens' 'CoLamaRush' uniforms first of all returning again next season — but especially becoming even more cohesive & color-coordinated via this theoretical, hypothetical, corresponding beauty:

spacer.png

spacer.png

See, there you go.  After a half dozen posts saying "throwbacks only" someone posts this.  How long do you think it would take some team to think something similar?

Here's the problem. We think about what looks good to us, what we'd like to see on the field. So, of course, we can say the NFL can just pass a rule to make it throwbacks only, and problem solved. Because on this board, the only consideration, really, is aesthetics. But the NFL doesn't care about that. They don't. It's like all those weekly complaints on here about both teams wearing navy pants, or something. They don't even think about it because they couldn't possibly care less.

If the NFL is considering bringing back multiple helmets, it's about money. There must be some sort of financial consideration in play, or they wouldn't even be discussing it. So the question is, what about a team, say, Houston, who've always had the same color shell? What if they want the chance to market a second helmet? If it's all about aesthetics, sure, just tell them no. But it's not, because the league doesn't care about that, except where it affects the bottom line.

I could be wrong, but I just find it very hard to picture that multiple helmets would be allowed for throwbacks only, and that it would just stay that way. Teams who don't need a second helmet for a throwback would eventually want in too.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

I would fine lifting the rule if it followed the same rules as normal alternates. I am not sure the exact rules but lets just say if it was 3 games top it wouldn't really dilute brands imo. 

But it isn't just the amount of times you could wear it that causes the mass confusion, it's the combinations. 2 helmets, 3 jerseys, and 3 pants means 18 possible combinations, and that's not even adding in the socks. Teams like Jacksonville and Tennessee would literally never wear the same thing twice.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

But it isn't just the amount of times you could wear it that causes the mass confusion, it's the combinations. 2 helmets, 3 jerseys, and 3 pants means 18 possible combinations, and that's not even adding in the socks. Teams like Jacksonville and Tennessee would literally never wear the same thing twice.

and if a team doesn’t have a throwback helmet to add, how long til one of them files a complaint to the league requesting a secondary helmet to be worn? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

and if a team doesn’t have a throwback helmet to add, how long til one of them files a complaint to the league requesting a secondary helmet to be worn? 

Not saying this is a probable outcome, but the league might just say “work with Nike to create a separate alternate uniform that your second helmet can only be worn with.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

Seattle already tried that back when they changed to the "pacific blue" (or "slate blue") helmet back in 2002 and were told they could only have one.

a_newroad_vt.jpga_newhelmet2_i.jpg

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

They can file a complaint all they want. The NFL doesn’t have to do anything about it.

31 minutes ago, dont care said:

They can file a complaint all they want. The NFL doesn’t have to do anything about it.

Sure, they don't have to. But why would they fight the over it. If the NFL doesn't care about "cool looking throwbacks" just for their own sake (and they don't), what would be their reasoning for telling one team they can have two helmets, but tell another team they can't? 

• Like 1

And... We are in a world where some teams have 2 alternates now, and it used to be limited to just one alternate. Just saying... things change, and I could see a team like Baltimore or Houston that have only had one helmet color in their history, say that if Tampa can have a second helmet for their throwbacks, we should be able to have one for our "Battle Red" or Purple Color Rush uniform. Just a thought... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The alternative helmet can only be worn with the alternative jersey 3x in the regular season. Problem solved. I couldn't care less if a team wanted a throwback or color rush specific helmet. As long as the main helmet is worn for most of the season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

The alternative helmet can only be worn with the alternative jersey 3x in the regular season. Problem solved. I couldn't care less if a team wanted a throwback or color rush specific helmet. As long as the main helmet is worn for most of the season.

Teams already do things like alternating in chrome decals and change face masks with their regular sets, they and the NFL can’t be trusted to 1. Create the rule, and 2. Follow it.

• Like 1