NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

30 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

They have official style guides for how to reference teams: https://www.mlssoccer.com/media-resources/mls-style-guide

Seeing "Crew" as 'incorrect' for Columbus bugs me a lot. I understand the official name is "Columbus Crew SC" but it's stupid that commentators are restricted to 'Crew SC' when that's just cumbersome. Same thing goes for the Fire, absolutely no reason those restrictions need to be that strict.

• Like 7

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, NormMacdonald said:

In the short term, maybe. The thing is brands last a long time. Eventually everyone angry about ditching the slur will be dead and an entire generation will have grown up only knowing the new name. I think basing your identity solely on the city without a nickname would limit how they can market themselves outside their market. For example: there are kids who decide their favorite team based on what nickname they think is the coolest. I know multiple people that picked the Falcons, Titans, Bengals and Lions as their teams despite having absolutely no connection to any of the cities they're in, simply because they like the nickname. I think going generic would limit that effect and hurt their brand in the long run.

I'm pretty sure the NFL wants to sell more stuff with a nickname rather than slapping Washington on all of their stuff. If someone wasn't sitting on the names they wanted, they'd probably already have the new name and logos out. 

5 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

As a season ticket holder of Minnesota United, I literally have no problem with announcers moving back and forth between a city name and an unofficial nickname. I don't have to imagine any of the scenarios you mention. Hearing "Minnesota" or "the Loons" are just fine when talking about Minnesota United. An announcer doing the same thing with Washington would be just fine with me if they leaned more into the unofficial nickname of Hogs. Call them "Washington" or "the Hogs". That's totally fine with me.

How many people would call them the Hogs though? I feel like that moniker hasn't been in use since the 90's when those O-line retired. 

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Redtails. Honor the military and the historic contributions of the Tuskegee Airmen. Spiffy logo. Maybe a mascot dressed up like a WWII airplane. Same colors. Same helmet shell. Striping that complements the logo (or perhaps a unique helmet incorporating flight motifs). Done. 

I like the idea, but I think swapping out one group for another is probably the wrong call in this specific case. Folks will raise a stink just to raise a stink instead of appreciating the accomplishments of a group of servicemen. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, QCS said:

Seeing "Crew" as 'incorrect' for Columbus bugs me a lot. I understand the official name is "Columbus Crew SC" but it's stupid that commentators are restricted to 'Crew SC' when that's just cumbersome. Same thing goes for the Fire, absolutely no reason those restrictions need to be that strict.

El Trafico should be in the incorrect pile too. LOL!!! And how is NY Red Bulls different from New York Red Bulls? 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

An announcer doing the same thing with Washington would be just fine with me if they leaned more into the unofficial nickname of Hogs. Call them "Washington" or "the Hogs". That's totally fine with me.

Yeah no one in the area (local radio, local sports affiliates) refers to the team as the Hogs. That was an 80s/90s things that really didn't carryover in the 2000s. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think a fun idea for the Washington Football Team would be the Pigskins. It ties the [mod edit] name, the Football Team name, and the Hogs nickname all at once. The Skins ending carries over from the [mod edit], a Pigskin is a term used for a football, which relates to them being named the Football Team, and the Pigskin moniker also ties into the Hogs nickname of the 80s [mod edit] that they were at their best. Maybe it's too cheesy, but I think it would stand out.

• Like 3

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

22 minutes ago, Bruhammydude said:

I think a fun idea for the Washington Football Team would be the Pigskins. It ties the [mod edit] name, the Football Team name, and the Hogs nickname all at once. The Skins ending carries over from the [mod edit], a Pigskin is a term used for a football, which relates to them being named the Football Team, and the Pigskin moniker also ties into the Hogs nickname of the 80s [mod edit] that they were at their best. Maybe it's too cheesy, but I think it would stand out.

But should there be any tie to the original name? The 'Skins' ending is the bad part, plenty of other things start with 'red' and don't result in a racial slur. I'd try to avoid connecting things back to the old name as much as I could.

• Like 12

the user formerly known as cdclt

27 minutes ago, QCS said:

But should there be any tie to the original name? The 'Skins' ending is the bad part, plenty of other things start with 'red' and don't result in a racial slur. I'd try to avoid connecting things back to the old name as much as I could.

Clean break from the name, but keep the colors. We should have enough smart people in our society to come up with a name that fits within the traditional naming schemes of the NFL (i.e. something that is plural but ties into the region) and not be horrendous.  

• Like 7

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

It also makes it easier for him to sell the team.  I'm not sure there's much more driving into the ground that he can do with 80% that he can't do with what he already has..

These are relevant points but snyder seems to have the inate ability to double down into negative space so I think this is going to be one of those it will get worse before it gets better scenarios.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Unless it’s some incredibly unique name, a team is bound to choose something that already exists in the plane on sports identities. There will always be duplicates, copycats, etc.

Tell that to the Kraken 🙂

As to the 'here we go again with Washington v. DC', I'm not trying to be that guy. However, I don't think they will call themselves DC based on (1) their history as being called Wshington (2) the history of all Big 4 sports teams in the area calling themselves Washington, and (3) the fact that their current location in Landover MD wouldn't allow them to call themselves DC while being situated in Maryland. Item (1) outweighs a call that I'm saying they need to be Landover or Maryland. 

Has anyone heard any date rumblings regarding Cincinatti @Sport? Or anyone else? 🙂

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Has anyone heard any date rumblings regarding Cincinatti @Sport? Or anyone else? 🙂

Cincinnati. Only 1 t. 

Right now they've just said 2021, but my guess is shortly before the draft so they can hand the new jersey to Penei Sewell or some other poor schmuck. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

38 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

As to the 'here we go again with Washington v. DC', I'm not trying to be that guy. However, I don't think they will call themselves DC based on (1) their history as being called Washington (2) the history of all Big 4 sports teams in the area calling themselves Washington, and (3) the fact that their current location in Landover MD wouldn't allow them to call themselves DC while being situated in Maryland. Item (1) outweighs a call that I'm saying they need to be Landover or Maryland. 

Full disclosure, I agree with you.

However, it hasn’t stopped other non-Big 4 teams from adopting a name that isn’t Washington.

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

As for the Big 4, two of the Washington teams have utilized a “DC” logo in some capacity

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Cincinnati. Only 1 t. 

Right now they've just said 2021, but my guess is shortly before the draft so they can hand the new jersey to Penei Sewell or some other poor schmuck. 

Eff. 3 n's, too. Sorry, I know better😁

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

People would call it a cop-out and an attempt to surreptitiously hang on to the old name (which we can’t say here for some reason, even though one year ago it was their actual name).

Even if it were a brand-spanking-new team with no connotations of past names or ties to racism (lot more than just the name there; they were also the last team to integrate, and their Hall of Fame owner was a virulent racist), it would seem overly casual. And it also seems as though visual branding would HAVE to be goofy almost to the Brandiose level. I see a pig wearing a maroon helmet. Maybe also standing upright and holding a football. Maybe also-also doing the Heisman pose. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I like the idea, but I think swapping out one group for another is probably the wrong call in this specific case. Folks will raise a stink just to raise a stink instead of appreciating the accomplishments of a group of servicemen. 

Le sigh. In this hyper-politicized day and age, there probably would be people getting offended by that. 

• Like 2