NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

11 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

They could be the old pants, I can’t really tell. I hope you’re right though all navy sucks cheeks

Yeah, could be. They don't look like them to me... seems like too much red, not enough navy, for the previous stripe proportions, but it's hard to tell from that shot. Could be just wishful thing on my part.  Gray pants take the Patriots uniform from bottom ten to top ten IMHO.

spacer.png

Here's a comparison based on the prototype that a collector manged to snag last year...

spacer.png

• Like 20

19 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Looks like the old color rush jersey too, so maybe a mistake?

Is it possible this was mocked up last year and just now rolled out for the this year's draft? That would make more sense. And New England still had issues at the start of last year with players wearing the previous Color Rush jerseys mixed in with the new jerseys. 

EXCLUSIVE: Pats Unveil New Uni Set with Wrong Pants!

• Like 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

God I hope they didn't accidentally showcase a prototype that won't see the field. My hopes are way up. 

Well hopefully these do see the field because it's a better look than SNN. 

• Like 6

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Leonard Fournette is going to wear 7 this year

I'm not really a stickler for the whole positional number thing, but I'm not a big fan of established players changing numbers while playing with the same team. Even Kobe doing it was a little annoying to me. Fournette hasn't been in Tampa for long, but I'm sure plenty of people bought his jersey with the old number.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm not really a stickler for the whole positional number thing, but I'm not a big fan of established players changing numbers while playing with the same team. Even Kobe doing it was a little annoying to me. Fournette hasn't been in Tampa for long, but I'm sure plenty of people bought his jersey with the old number.

I'm guessing that may not be the case if he's switching over. Either that or there's not too much that he has to pay for. If he waited until 2022 he wouldn't have to pay for those extra jerseys. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is it possible this was mocked up last year and just now rolled out for the this year's draft? That would make more sense. And New England still had issues at the start of last year with players wearing the previous Color Rush jerseys mixed in with the new jerseys. 

This would also explain the old Bengals uniform on display. I wouldn't be surprised to know the NFL had all these displays already prepped before the pandemic hit last year, then just rolled them out as-is this year. The Bengals is the only significant change in that time, and we've already documented the issues the Patriots had in having some players wearing the old number style on new jerseys last year. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, the number font is definitely a mistake, but how do you mistakenly create brand new pants?

This is interesting, since it definitely looks like the thicker red stripes that would be part of the new set.

My only concern is, if I remember correctly, the team got all the way to the testing stage with gray pants, but decided to drop them. Maybe that’s where these came from?

I can’t say I’m optimistic about this yet, but I do hope you are right.

EDIT: Yep, you guys beat me to it.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

This would also explain the old Bengals uniform on display. I wouldn't be surprised to know the NFL had all these displays already prepped before the pandemic hit last year, then just rolled them out as-is this year. The Bengals is the only significant change in that time, and we've already documented the issues the Patriots had in having some players wearing the old number style on new jerseys last year. 

The issue with this theory though is that the Browns mannequin had orange pants. Those pants supposedly didn’t even exist in April 2020.

I think whoever set up those mannequins had no idea what they were doing.

• Like 10

bSLCtu2.png

edit: Posted before reading Old School Fool's post, but agreed that the orange pants would not have been on the Cleveland mannequin in 2020.

The stripes on the Patriots gray pants do look different than 2019 pants. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Something tells me we are entering a very awkward transitional period where all the vets will be wearing the proper jersey numbers for their position, but all the rookies will be running around in single digits and weird looking numbers. It will slowly shift into full chaos as more rookies enter the league and guys join new teams and don't have to make up for the lost revenue. Oh and did I mention that I hate it and view as another pointless rule change this league insists on coming up with year after year when there was nothing wrong with how things were before?

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan10 said:

Something tells me we are entering a very awkward transitional period where all the vets will be wearing the proper jersey numbers for their position, but all the rookies will be running around in single digits and weird looking numbers. It will slowly shift into full chaos as more rookies enter the league and guys join new teams and don't have to make up for the lost revenue. Oh and did I mention that I hate it and view as another pointless rule change this league insists on coming up with year after year when there was nothing wrong with how things were before?

Kansas City was about to run out of numbers that they could use. This was always going to happen as long as teams retire numbers, or withhold them unofficially. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Kansas City was about to run out of numbers that they could use. This was always going to happen as long as teams retire numbers, or withhold them unofficially. 

What positions were in danger?

37 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The roster at Pro Football Reference shows everyone on the Chiefs, including practice squad, and it doesn't look like they ran out of numbers. It was close...but they had numbers for everyone and a few left over, even factoring in retired/unreleased numbers. The one guy listed without a number was a DB, and 3 DB numbers in the 20s/30s weren't used or retired (29, 37, 39). 

The Chiefs GM might have said something, but it doesn't look to be true. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

The roster at Pro Football Reference shows everyone on the Chiefs, including practice squad, and it doesn't look like they ran out of numbers. It was close...but they had numbers for everyone and a few left over, even factoring in retired/unreleased numbers. The one guy listed without a number was a DB, and 3 DB numbers in the 20s/30s weren't used or retired (29, 37, 39). 

37 is unofficially retired for Joe Delaney. The article mentions this happened last year, so due to roster cuts that's probably no longer the case at this moment. But once you start dealing with possible IR trips, you could run into that issue again. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm guessing that may not be the case if he's switching over. Either that or there's not too much that he has to pay for. If he waited until 2022 he wouldn't have to pay for those extra jerseys. 

Maybe since he came back as a free agent he can switch numbers without paying