NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

11 hours ago, tBBP said:

I hope think by that they meant he is the team's first four- or five-year captain (which in itself is rather telling). I forget whether the four gold stars is for four years or five.

The more egregious error is the "el capatain" tag...I mean, dude, the word you're looking for is "el capitan"--but, whatever...this club just keeps giving people reasons to laugh at it. 🤦‍♂️

i know what they meant.  It’s still an incredibly stupid phrase to use. 

almost as stupid as a system that counts years as captain but then somehow stops at five.  

• Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 10:32 PM, Gothamite said:

i know what they meant.  It’s still an incredibly stupid phrase to use. 

almost as stupid as a system that counts years as captain but then somehow stops at five.  

I believe it is based on General Rankings in the military where 5 is the highest possible and is very rare.

1 hour ago, sisdog said:

I believe it is based on General Rankings in the military where 5 is the highest possible and is very rare.

Makes sense. Playing football is basically the same as being in the military.  🙄

• Like 8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

Makes sense. Playing football is basically the same as being in the military.  🙄

Team "Captain" is a military rank. Makes sense that they'd reference military rankings when making the decision on how many stars to put on the patch. I don't think anyone at any point was insinuating that playing football is the same thing as being in the military. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

Team "Captain" is a military rank. Makes sense that they'd reference military rankings when making the decision on how many stars to put on the patch. I don't think anyone at any point was insinuating that playing football is the same thing as being in the military. 

How is "football team captain" a military rank?  Are hockey captains also a military rank?

By doing what you're saying (mimicking a military rank with the stars and all) then the NFL is comparing playing football to being in the army.  I suppose it fuels a certain part of the fanbase so whatev.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BBTV said:

How is "football team captain" a military rank?  Are hockey captains also a military rank?

Not what I said at all, really don't know how you got there. The same word is used for a military rank and the leaders of the team. I'm sure they worked backwards from that, read up on other military ranks, and justified their dumb system with that. 

16 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

There has never been a 5 star captain in the military. It’s a role not a rank in the nfl. And even then stars aren’t earned by number of years in, but by merit. The nfl just made a patch that had stars to indicate number of years they were captain once they ran out of stars on the patch they made it gold. There is no deeper meaning behind it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

There has never been a 5 star captain in the military. It’s a role not a rank in the nfl. And even then stars aren’t earned by number of years in, but by merit. The nfl just made a patch that had stars to indicate number of years they were captain once they ran out of stars on the patch they made it gold. There is no deeper meaning behind it

I'm going off of what Sisdog said about it referencing 5 Star Generals. I have no clue what it actually is. I could see a world where they retroactively justified it by looking to military rankings but don't know. 

On 9/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, sisdog said:

That would somehow manage to be even stupider, since all a player has to do to earn it is have a slightly longer-than-average career.   Far from being rare, there are plenty of fifth-year captains.

And not to mention that the fifth “star” is just filling the C in gold as well.

I swear, this system is so dumb. It’s already walking the line of military fetish, they might as well just push it over.   Just like the rest of their stolen valor nonsense mimicking ribbon bars. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

On 9/13/2021 at 11:13 AM, sisdog said:

When the NFL created the captains badges they said that 5 or more years would be in gold. It's not military based. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_team_captains

The "C" patch

Players who have been named a team captain typically wear a "C" patch on their jerseys. There is a standard design used by all teams participating in the captaincy program. The patches are in team colors and are worn on the front left or right breast (depending on other patches, etc. worn by the specific team). The number of gold stars on the patch represents the number of years that player has been named captain by a team. If he has been named captain for longer than four years, the "C" on the patch is gold.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, BBTV said:

How is "football team captain" a military rank?  

17 hours ago, tjs11 said:

Not what I said at all, really don't know how you got there. 

Well, I know how he got there:

17 hours ago, tjs11 said:

Team "Captain" is a military rank. 

• Like 14

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, Meshmaster101 said:

guys only the military is allowed to have team captains sorry yall try again next time ! 😞

Everyone is ignoring that civilian ship captains go back many centuries. In my opinion nfl captaincy better  reflects maritime law than that of military rank.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

20 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Everyone is ignoring that civilian ship captains go back many centuries. In my opinion nfl captaincy better  reflects maritime law than that of military rank.

Does that mean NFL captains can legally marry people?

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Echo said:

Does that mean NFL captains can legally marry people?

Correct. Much like international waters and sea captains, their jurisdiction to officiate is limited to within the confines of nfl stadia where the nfl rulebook is the law of the land.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, guest23 said:

spacer.png

I swear, this system is so dumb. It’s already walking the line of sailing fetish, they might as well just push it over.   Just like the rest of their stolen valor nonsense mimicking pirates and sail boats.NFL rankings: Raymond James Stadium named a top-10 venue

On 9/14/2021 at 1:01 PM, Gothamite said:

That would somehow manage to be even stupider, since all a player has to do to earn it is have a slightly longer-than-average career.   Far from being rare, there are plenty of fifth-year captains.

And not to mention that the fifth “star” is just filling the C in gold as well.

I swear, this system is so dumb. It’s already walking the line of military fetish, they might as well just push it over.   Just like the rest of their stolen valor nonsense mimicking ribbon bars. 

spacer.png

Actually, that design wasn't exclusive to the military gear that year. A lot of the sideline gear used that bar design as well, outside of military appreciation. 

Denver Broncos 2019 Holiday Gift Guide

Cheap Seattle Seahawks Shaquill Griffin Neon Green Sideline Legend Staff  Performance T-Shirt | USA Sale

New England Patriots T Shirt Mens Large Adult Blue Nike NFL Football Dri  Fit Gym | SidelineSwap

It was even used by a number of Nike's college teams

89705.jpg

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

10 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Actually, that design wasn't exclusive to the military gear that year. A lot of the sideline gear used that bar design as well, outside of military appreciation.

And the patterns themselves were not created for that promotion but already existed.

but when placed on the left side of the chest,  in a military context, it’s hard to argue that they aren’t trying to mimic a ribbon bar. 

• Like 8