NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

“50s Classic” might be overselling it a bit. 

They should have lightened the green up a bit for a better reflection of the '50s set...but overall, I like this way better than any of the navy crap they've had.

• Like 7

It is the lighting or does the green pants have a shine to them? We seen UA bring back the dazzle for the Fighting Irish a few weeks ago, is Nike jumping on that bandwagon? I sure hope so as I am sick of the matte pants. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Not too surprised by the Packers choice. Keep in mind the wheels were set in motion for this long before the NFL made the decision to allow an alt helmet again.

This green over green look they chose was worn in 1950 with plain yellow helmets although they were leather then.

It was also worn in 1953 with pale gold hardshell helmets.

So the choice was likely made to go with these over the 30's as those were worn with gold/green leather and not a yellow helmet ever.

My guess is since they wore the combo in 1950 with a plain yellow they felt it was a truer look than wearing a 30's look which at the time the decision was made would only have had the yellow option instead of gold/green.

Down the road now with these we could see them with gold helmets or yellow faux leather and in 5 years we may get the 30's look. Time will tell.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Packers vs Browns throwbacks on Christmas seems like a no brainer. All white vs all green? Sign me up.

I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't happen.

• Like 2

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

57 minutes ago, nuordr said:

It is the lighting or does the green pants have a shine to them? We seen UA bring back the dazzle for the Fighting Irish a few weeks ago, is Nike jumping on that bandwagon? I sure hope so as I am sick of the matte pants. 

Yes I noticed that but given that the packers are still wearing ripon uniforms the pants are likely the old fashioned dazzle nylon material that the raiders and cowboys still use and not some newfangled shiny material.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

If no one told me these Packers uniforms were throwbacks I would assume that it was a new color rush look for them. I wonder how many casual fans will think the same thing 

They should’ve done this for CR. The Cowboys, Giants, Niners, and Broncos all used classic designs/throwbacks for their Color Rushes.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

They should’ve done this for CR. The Cowboys, Giants, Niners, and Broncos all used classic designs/throwbacks for their Color Rushes.

Even the Browns did a CR/modern version of a throwback (at the time in 2016) which the Packers could have done instead of all white. 

Maybe Nike didn't want the Vikings CR uni to be all purple/gold, and the Packers look really similar with green/gold. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I may be in the minority here it seems, but I actually dig these. Clean and balanced.  I actually love the shoulder stripes. The plain block numbers are great. And i even dig the mesh jersey material. 

I get that it looks like a color rush, but its not. It's a direct callback to a uniform from the past.  It looks like a real football uniform, which is refreshing because many of the new uniforms from the last 5 or so years don't. It's nothing earth shattering, but when you are the Packers, you don't need to be. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

1950 only, if memory serves. The last year of plain gold leather. Then the NFL rescinded it’s ban on plastic shells and the Packers adopted gold plastic helmets with a single green stripe. 

Why did the league ban plastic shells?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

45 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Why did the league ban plastic shells?

Safety. 

The concern was that if players had plastic head coverings, they would be tempted to use them as a battering ram.  Doctors publicly urged the NFL to prohibit them, but after a couple seasons the NFL decided to allow polycarbonate helmets with new rules restricting spearing and other ways players could use their bodies. 

spacer.png

The irony is that the medical establishment was right all along, just for the wrong reasons. Plastic helmets aren’t a danger to opposing players nearly as much as they are to the wearer. 

• Like 10

I think these new Packers uniforms are a distinct downgrade from the two navy predecessors, both on aesthetic grounds and in terms of the era they represent. 

I know “ugly as possible” was the goal here, but they would have been so much better off looking to 1955, not 1950.   Same jersey, but far better pants and helmets. 

spacer.png

And who knows?  With the relative lack of restrictions on introducing new pants, they could do this before their five years are up. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, SCL said:

I was pro Spiders but I think Guardians makes complete sense for Cleveland, Washington has no obvious solution to the point where they could go Washington Burgundy and it might be the best option. I still believe Redtails is the best option with the Airmen imagery.

I approve.

• Like 2

spacer.png