NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

“Commanders” is a pretty stupid name.  And if they’re not going to go with a Tuskegee Airmen reference, then I want nothing to do with “Redtails”.  As a bird it’s hard to see as anything other than a halfway measure designed to keep “Red” to soothe the hurt feelings of fans. 

Guess I’ve got to root for “Wolves”.  Maybe alliteration will win the day. 

• Like 15

“Washington Redtails” seems fine. Keeps the Red- and syllable count from old name, but still connects to the local area. (Gives them plenty of Nikespeak to use with “honoring our city past”).

• Like 3

The W with the negative space V is pretty cool, though they'd also need to find a way to stick an M and a D in there.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Wolves is generic. Commanders has a D.C. tie in but still generic. Redtails is the best of the 3. Since Redtails is a compromise (old name/new name) I'd imagine it'd be met similarly to the Guardians name change.

Out of those 3 options Washington Football Team is a superior name.

• Like 5

The front-facing wolf is the only decent logo, but still not great. Although none of these are probably the final logo if they showed them already, but still not promising.

As for the names, I still favor Redtails, but going with a hawk logo is a missed opportunity. Wolves is meh, but I could live with it. Commanders is terrible, so that's probably what they'll go with.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Maybe in humor it's superior, but I'd rather have a generic mascot name than something I can't say without cracking a smile. To me at least, WFT has never sounded dignified or classy. It sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to the 123 other Big 4 names.  Although none of these proposed logos are that great, they're about on par with their current dull bland. 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

“Washington Redtails” seems fine. Keeps the Red- and syllable count from old name, but still connects to the local area. (Gives them plenty of Nikespeak to use with “honoring our city past”).

15 hours ago, O.C.D said:

Wolves is generic. Commanders has a D.C. tie in but still generic. Redtails is the best of the 3. Since Redtails is a compromise (old name/new name) I'd imagine it'd be met similarly to the Guardians name change.

Out of those 3 options Washington Football Team is a superior name.

Compromise shouldn’t even be considered. Using “Red-“ will always be seen as a backhanded way of not really shedding the old name. No matter how hard they try to tell us it’s out of circulation.

• Like 3

As a Washington fan, I'm a little worried that all those logos appear to be using a darker shade of burgundy than the team has worn in my lifetime (with the exception of those anniversary uniforms in 2002, which I hated) . Needless to say, I want the colors to remain as is 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I wonder if a third season as WFT might be useful to separate the team even more from its former brand even more, and to let even more time go by so as to make what happened stale even to the die-hard fans of the old name so that when a new one comes it will be celebrated as something new, rather than viewed as a replacement for something that some fans are still connected to.

Plus, it would serve as even more evidence that simply WFT works (or that it can't work) as a potential permanent name.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

While this is NCAA, at least is shows I’m not the only one that thinks the long undershirts look ridiculous and shouldn’t be allowed 

E9AZvF2XIAoexCM?format=png&name=large

• Like 15

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 8/13/2021 at 4:19 PM, ManillaToad said:

They should do a Texans throwback like they did for the AFL 50th anniversary. Shouldn't even need the two helmet rule thing since it's just a decal swap. They're even playing Dallas again this year

On 8/14/2021 at 12:40 PM, gothedistance said:

The word classic is thrown around too loosely. And people don't have an objective standard of what change is, so they are biased. Yes, KC has made changes with its uniforms with the aforementioned things in the team's history. Their old Dallas Texans throwback would be worth resurrecting.

The word ‘classic’ especially in reference to design means traditional and/or enduring. By that standard the Chiefs have one of only a handful of truly classic uniforms in the NFL. It’s not being thrown around too loosely in this case you’re just applying a value judgement that doesn’t actually have anything to do with the word. On top of that, if your value judgement is that the Chiefs don’t have one of the best uniform sets in the league we’ll definitely have to agree to disagree.

the Chiefs shouldn’t bring back the Texans throwbacks they’re very similar to what the team still wears, they feature a different name and state on the helmet, they only represent 3/60+ seasons, and they are a worse uniform than the primaries. They were fine for the AFL 50th and other big anniversaries but don’t need to be around any more than that. Not every team needs a throwback at their disposal.

• Like 2

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

7 hours ago, Survival79 said:

UGH! It better NOT be "Redtails"! That's such a garbage name! If that is the name, then I'm going to be rooting for this team to get its ass kicked by its opponent on a weekly basis. Personally, I don't know what's wrong with keeping "Washington Football Team" as the permanent name. However, since that's apparently not an option, I vote for "Redwolves".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

UGH! It better NOT be "Redtails"! That's such a garbage name! If that is the name, then I'm going to be rooting for this team to get its ass kicked by its opponent on a weekly basis. Personally, I don't know what's wrong with keeping "Washington Football Team" as the permanent name. However, since that's apparently not an option, I vote for "Redwolves".

Washington Football Team is such a soccer name and is not needed for an NFL or any North American sport outside of awful soccer teams in my opinion. 

• Like 10

spacer.png

Those logos and name choices for Washington are terrible. If I had to pick one I guess it would be Wolves, but if they're going to change the name I'd want Hogs as it still ties into the history of the team. I don't know who is making the call as far as branding goes, but hopefully Snyder comes in and just leaves it as Washington Football Team. 

• Like 1
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

The logos all feel very generic. Very similar to some of the "create-a-team" logos in video games. As we saw in Cleveland, no matter what they do people are going to complain. There's the "never should have changed it stop being woke" people, the "that's the best they could come up with?" people and those that had their own favorites that didn't get picked. I feel like I've been asked a hundred times what a Guardian is and why they would go with that. I'd assume a large amount of people have no idea who the Redtails were. 

• Like 7