NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

Just now, Cujo said:

Rams, Patriots last year.

Bengals, Browns this year.

It's a definite trend which i expect to continue with most new jerseys from here on out

The Browns one is a throwback, I don't think it's fair to include it with the rest. To counter, Jaguars, Browns, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Dolphins, Jets, etc. have all kept TV numbers after Nike redesigns (some twice!). I think TV numbers are safe for now.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

Just now, QCS said:

Jaguars, Browns, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Dolphins, Jets

So a lot of those listed were pre-2020/pre-no tv number trend. The Seahawks and Dolphins redesigns were like 2012, c'mon now

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

Cleveland Browns’ 1946 Throwback Jersey Leaks On eBay

March 7, 2021 - 22:24 PM

Back in January, Cleveland Browns executive vice president and co-owner J.W. Johnson announced the team will wear alternate uniforms during the 2021 season as part of the team’s 75th anniversary celebration. “We will have an alternate uniform this year, so all the uniform heads out there that try to come

Read More...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Rams, Patriots last year.

Bengals, Browns this year.

It's a definite trend which i expect to continue with most new jerseys from here on out

Once teams start dropping TV numbers without making any other changes, we'll talk.  Until then, the overwhelming majority of the league will have them so they're far from RIP.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Once teams start dropping TV numbers without making any other changes, we'll talk.  Until then, the overwhelming majority of the league will have them so they're far from RIP.

When it happens, these will be first

christian-mccaffrey.jpg

• Like 16

6uXNWAo.png

19 minutes ago, Cujo said:

When it happens, these will be first

christian-mccaffrey.jpg

It's not just that sleeves are shrinking, it's that the shoulder pads have basically gone away too, so there's just no more room.  All that stuff - TV number, shoulder hoop, Nike ad, and logo would have worked fine back in the day when the players had enormous pads - even with the current cap-sleeve style.  Even if he had sleeves down to his elbow, it wouldn't make any difference. 

In fact, the only non-throwback jerseys we've seen so far that eliminate the TV number are the ones with shoulder trim, so for the majority of the league, there's simply no reason to get rid of them.  Even in the Rams case, they only eliminated them in the one jersey where the shoulder trim would have matched the number.  It's not inevitable, and it's not going to happen.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that Browns jersey is almost a confirmation that the one helmet rule has been changed. The rumors of the Browns having a white helmet have persisted forever and there's no reason to wear this jersey unless you have the proper helmet or else it's just the regular away uniform with drop shadow.

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

8 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I think that Browns jersey is almost a confirmation that the one helmet rule has been changed. The rumors of the Browns having a white helmet have persisted forever and there's no reason to wear this jersey unless you have the proper helmet or else it's just the regular away uniform with drop shadow.

The one-helmet rule is done based solely on this lousy Browns throwback? Nahh. Give us Buccaneers and/or Patriots throwbacks, then I'll buy into it

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

3 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I mean these teams wear their respective throwbacks without the proper helmet and still look fine...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Obviously the correct helmet is necessary to have a true throwback, but it’s also not completely necessary. The Browns can still use their orange helmet and be fine.

Like @Cujo said, give us true Tampa Bay and New England throwbacks (plus other notable ones like Seattle), then we’ll talk.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, QCS said:

The Browns one is a throwback, I don't think it's fair to include it with the rest. To counter, Jaguars, Browns, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Dolphins, Jets, etc. have all kept TV numbers after Nike redesigns (some twice!). I think TV numbers are safe for now.

Worth noting this 9ers throwback doesn’t have tv numbers either...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Both of those jerseys are throwbacks to jerseys that didn't have TV numbers.  What, did you want them to add them?

No.

But when the Chargers and Patriots introduce brand new uniforms without TV numbers, we know they’re not always required, as once they were. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

No.

But when the Chargers and Patriots introduce brand new uniforms without TV numbers, we know they’re not always required, as once they were. 

Technically the Chargers still have TV numbers. 

TV numbers probably were a required thing but likely the NFL is starting to relax on that rule. Probably the elimination of the one helmet rule is another part of that. High def TVs are def having a major impact and hopefully broadcasters and media type can still do their job if TV numbers were eliminated. 

• Like 2

Go A's!

8 hours ago, DNAsports said:

So, the 49ers are going the Dolphins route. Having a standard set and a throwback set.

Which is kinda dumb. The Niners are basically playing 1994 dress up now if they do wear both the red and white 94 throwbacks.

Would much rather have seen them throw back to 96/97/98 with options for either white or gold pants.

• Like 1