2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I'm not oversimplifying the entire process.  I'm wondering why teams and Adidas can't come up with striping configurations that honor there own history or break new ground instead of going with that tired Detroit template for 50th time.  Horizontal striping is one of the most distinctive characteristics of a hockey uniform.  Why can't more attention be paid to it?

Attention and effort have nothing to do with it. These teams and designers are putting more effort and attention into these jerseys than you can imagine, because there is literally a million dollars riding on these decisions.

I think what your real question is, “Why don’t these teams and Adidas make jersey designs that I personally like?” And the answer to that is two fold, 1. The retro simplistic trend is what sells to the average joe right now. And 2. Nobody cares what you think because you have terrible taste.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Yawn 1

jNTsTyQ.png

29 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

These teams and designers are putting more effort and attention into these jerseys than you can imagine

More than I can imagine? The designer just said they had to slap this Leafs sweater together with whatever the factory already has on hand because the assignment was due five minutes ago. As someone who's been doing half-assed rushjobs on projects all my life, I think I can imagine just fine, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

30 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

And 2. Nobody cares what you think because you have terrible taste.

Yeah, I have terrible taste because I don't want every new design to use the same template...  You got me there.  Tell me more about your one-striping-configuration-fits-all-teams viewpoint.  I bet it's really interesting :rolleyes:.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 5

6 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Yeah, I have terrible taste because I don't want every new design to use the same template...  You got me there.  Tell me more about your one-striping-configuration-fits-all-teams viewpoint.  I bet it's really interesting :rolleyes:.

That’s not my viewpoint. Honestly, I don’t care for the jersey either.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

jNTsTyQ.png

You people can go cry some more because someone posted a Sports Design opinion on a thread about Sports Design...  You can get your panties in a twist because someone pointed out how many times a striping template has been recycled ad nauseam by Adidas.

Here's the league in 1991 where very single team has a traditional look.  You know how many use Detroit's template?  One: Detroit.  So get :censored:ed!

NlT5ns6.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • WOAH 1
  • Hurl 2
  • Huh? 2
  • Yawn 3
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

You people can go cry some more because someone posted a Sports Design opinion on a thread about Sports Design...  You can get your panties in a twist because someone pointed out how many times a striping template has been recycled ad nauseam by Adidas.

I mean, you're not wrong. After all, even during the O6 era, there are small minor league teams whose jerseys have stripes of every thickness level, pattern, and other variations. Okay, maybe 1 of them might look what Adidas keeps 'recycling'.

But what do I know? It's a Heritage Classic with a fauxback flavor (at least that's what Buffalo is going for). Wish the Leafs would do the same and just lift some old jersey from the past and apply it to their design. Makes it more tolerable than whatever they have currently.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Here's the league in 1991 where very single team has a traditional look.  You know how many use Detroit's template?  One: Detroit.  So get :censored:ed!

NlT5ns6.png

Once again you are comparing uniforms that had years to design with a uniform that had less than a year. Also at this time there wasn’t one uniform supplier so they would look different, yet there are 4 teams that have bostons template

• Yawn 1

Would have been a fine statement to say that the Toronto Maple Leafs celebrate their heritage every night and won't be contriving a one-off uniform for this game, but everything that can be marketed must be marketed. Think of the money they'd be leaving on the table! (Don't think about the money that the Phoenix Coyotes' continued existence leaves on the table.)

• Like 4

Kind of wish the teams that regularly play in outdoor games could just have a regular, designated "heritage" fauxback and wear that a few times. The outdoor game shtick has now been around long enough that it feels like the well is running kind of dry, which is what these Buffalo/Toronto jerseys seem to suggest. I can't imagine what's left for the Bruins to go back to next year.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Every Blackhawks outdoor alternate has been terrible. Two of the last three were just "the white one but slightly different," in slightly different ways themselves. It's ridiculous.  Kind of as you said, they could have just worn the old barberpole one for every outdoor game since that looks like an actual sweater one might wear outside. It's such a stupid racket.

11 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

[image snipped]

can we ratio someone here? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Every Blackhawks outdoor alternate has been terrible. Two of the last three were just "the white one but slightly different," in slightly different ways themselves. It's ridiculous.  Kind of as you said, they could have just worn the old barberpole one for every outdoor game since that looks like an actual sweater one might wear outside. It's such a stupid racket.

These jerseys seem designed for collecting completists and nobody else. I wouldn't buy a jersey I know the team is only going to wear once, maybe twice. If I know that's my team's designated special event jersey that they'd likely wear several times, however, then I would probably drop the money. 

This is all just imagination for me, though. They'll play an outdoor game on the moon before they play one in Columbus. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

Reading through all this after, I don't really understand what Morgan was arguing for or against... I definitely think he lost the plot but even then, where did the Detroit thing come from? Also, the Detroit jersey is like a platonic ideal of a two colour hockey jersey, so yeah, obviously something similar is going to happen if a team is rocking two colours and wants a classic striping look.

Also also, taking a look at that 1991 image he posted where every team has a traditional look and only one team is using that Detroit template, so nobody is using the same templates back in 1991 like they are in 2022 with the Adidas overlords (just don't look too close at the 1991 Oilers/Sabres/sort of Rangers/sort of Blackhawks and then the 1991 Flames/Blues/Bruins).

4 hours ago, Sport said:

These jerseys seem designed for collecting completists and nobody else. I wouldn't buy a jersey I know the team is only going to wear once, maybe twice. If I know that's my team's designated special event jersey that they'd likely wear several times, however, then I would probably drop the money. 

This is all just imagination for me, though. They'll play an outdoor game on the moon before they play one in Columbus. 

Honestly for me, it's the opposite. I kind of like the one-offness of the special event jerseys. I have a Ducks RR which will probably be my primary Ducks jersey moving forward (even though it's white) and they aren't ever going to wear that again. Switching sports, my Stampeders jersey is their 75th anniversary jersey from this previous season which they aren't going to wear again either.

I do have to like the jersey though (which is why I don't have the Ducks Stadium Series jersey) and I can see Blackhawks and Bruins and Penguins fans having a different reaction when they get a new one-off every year, but I personally like the time capsule nature of the one-off jerseys. 

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

20 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

For the record my personal replies to you had nothing to do with your design opinions, and everything to do with your attitude. I might not agree with you and that's fine. Actually I'd go so far as to say it's great. If we all had the same opinions every thread would just be one post with 1000 likes on it. Treat people with less hostility, and you might see the same back.

• Like 5

On 2/20/2022 at 10:50 PM, Morgan33 said:

NlT5ns6.png

I know you're in Message Board Jail for a month now, so you may never wind up reading this - heck, for all I know you may never even come back, I know it wouldn't be the first time someone got temporarily suspended and just never returned - but if you do, I've told you this before and I'll tell you again: you seriously need to stop taking simple disagreements here as a personal insult or attack. It'd be one thing if this was an argument about political policy, where it would genuinely be a matter of life and death for thousands of people, but for God's sake man, we are arguing about clothes. It's not exactly something worth getting this worked up over.

• Like 5
  • Yawn 1