2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

4 hours ago, Glover said:

Hurricanes with white jerseys and black pants tonight. Would certainly look better if the jersey had more black. 
spacer.png

Or, you know, have a red yoke to make the white jersey more fuller than it is?

15 hours ago, Glover said:

Hurricanes with white jerseys and black pants tonight. Would certainly look better if the jersey had more black. 
spacer.png

The red pants are the one thing that's kept Carolina from looking too much like the Devils & Blackhawks, so this is a downgrade. It's basically a 2002 Canada Olympic uniform.

I'd expect them to wear the black alternates at home in the playoffs again this year, so maybe they're testing the waters so that they don't need to alternate between shells/gloves in the postseason.

• Like 4

Yeah that’s a really bad look. The red breezers look much much better. The Hurricanes look better when they’re red dominate over black. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The sublimated warning flags really get me. Both Canes jerseys would look much better if the warning flags were properly red and black. Incredible how the Hurricanes have managed to downgrade nearly every time they change jerseys.

• Like 7

the user formerly known as cdclt

25 minutes ago, QCS said:

The sublimated warning flags really get me. Both Canes jerseys would look much better if the warning flags were properly red and black. Incredible how the Hurricanes have managed to downgrade nearly every time they change jerseys.

The only upgrade they have made is going from this...

Carolina Hurricanes Uniform Dark Uniform (2013/14-2016/17) -  SportsLogos.Net

to this..

Carolina Hurricanes Uniform Dark Uniform (2017/18-Pres) - Adidas Jersey SportsLogos.Net

But yeah besides that, I agree. Everything else has been a downgrade. 

• Like 9

T1oYViW.png

3 hours ago, QCS said:

Seriously, their originals are friggin' great, it's so weird that they've never gone back to that look. Especially since, y'know, they won a Stanley Cup wearing it. 😛

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Glover said:

Carolina Hurricanes Uniform Dark Uniform (2013/14-2016/17) -  SportsLogos.Net

The Canes going from their original jerseys to this is like when a company nowadays swaps out their old logo full of character, color, and a unique font for the same streamlined, one-color-all-lowercase-sans serif-wordmark logo that everyone is using nowadays.  This jersey is about as soulless as it gets.

I'll echo the sentiments of everyone else talking about Carolina.  They hit it absolutely 100% perfectly the first go round and should never have changed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

spacer.png

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The red pants are the one thing that's kept Carolina from looking too much like the Devils & Blackhawks, so this is a downgrade. It's basically a 2002 Canada Olympic uniform.

I'd expect them to wear the black alternates at home in the playoffs again this year, so maybe they're testing the waters so that they don't need to alternate between shells/gloves in the postseason.

Every year when the Canes lose in the playoffs, I find one silver lining to be the fact that they didn't win the cup wearing black and that MAYBE the black jerseys will be seen as "cursed" or something and we can miraculously see the reds in the playoffs the following year. So far it hasn't happened, and it doesn't seem like it will this year either. The NHL needs an NFLesque "no alternates in the playoffs" rule so badly.

6 hours ago, QCS said:

I don't think this is true at all. At least about the second part. Their originals were great and then they downgraded to bland garbage for a few years. But their current home uniforms are a great modernization of their originals - not that they particularly needed a modernization, but they look like the same team. I think the originals and the current homes are equals, albeit with different strengths and weaknesses. Their current jerseys with the original name/number font and non-ghosted warning stripes would be the perfect sweet spot.

It is weird and kind of dumb that they've had mismatching home and roads for so long. Even weirder is the fact that they changed the home of their previous set and then 3 years later changed the road. Four completely different designs. Their last road jersey change was a slight upgrade, and would've been a huge upgrade if they would've just put the logo on the chest instead of "CANES". Would've been an even bigger upgrade if they had switched to a recolored version of the reds.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Seriously, their originals are friggin' great, it's so weird that they've never gone back to that look. Especially since, y'know, they won a Stanley Cup wearing it. 😛

The fact that they've worn multiple different Whalers throwbacks and have never thrown back to that look is crazy. Not that I like throwbacks at all anyways, but if you're gonna do one... how do you not pick the one you won a cup in the actual city you play in?

The frustrating thing about the Hurricanes is how close they are to a great brand. The excessive alternates/throwbacks and mismatched jerseys drag them down a ton.

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

Definitely look like 02 Canada dress up. I always thought they should match the white with the home jersey. It’s actually VERY close to the same design as the originals just cleaned up a bit and a little more traditional. 

I’ve posted the concept before so shameless plug to illustrate here with a video game model:

spacer.png

I also wish they’d stop with the black in the playoffs. The home jersey is their best one and feels like they don’t think so. Wasn’t there rumor of that changing soon?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Canes are wearing these tonight 

spacer.png

And off to a rough start. Down 2-0 to the Sabres after 7 minutes, and this is after they lost to the Sabres in Tuesday with the black pants. One of the worst organizations in sports history outplaying us. This jersey-pant combo doesn’t look bad, but the superstitious fan in me says just stop with the black pants unless it is with the black jersey. 

• Hate 1

T1oYViW.png

43 minutes ago, Glover said:

spacer.png

Nope. Don’t like it. I get that it should look good but I just don’t like it. The Canes should be predominantly red, that includes pants. 

• Like 1

Good...

7lx4UxF.png

Better...

mK5Etq8.png

If they had just fixed the striping inconsistency on the 2017-18 set, it would have been nearly perfect. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 hours ago, Glover said:

spacer.png

And off to a rough start. Down 2-0 to the Sabres after 7 minutes, and this is after they lost to the Sabres in Tuesday with the black pants. One of the worst organizations in sports history outplaying us. This jersey-pant combo doesn’t look bad, but the superstitious fan in me says just stop with the black pants unless it is with the black jersey. 

Carolina Devils

Eh, I like the black pants. As much as I love the '06 set, it being so red dominant was one of the few things I've never found particularly good-looking; hockey uniforms tend to look best when the pants contrast with the jersey or socks, especially if they lack striping.

Like, imagine the Rangers' home and road jerseys but with blue pants. Sure, it more closely matches the hierarchy of the jersey colors...but it also just kinda looks worse? Of course, there are some exceptions like with anything, but frankly with how common red/black/white is as a combo in the NHL, it's hard to really make a unique look with them.

• Dislike 1

The switch from NASCAR numbers to Univers always seemed to represent the Hurricanes' repositioning of themselves as a Thinking Fan's Team, even though I don't think they really got into meme magic for another three or four years after that.

I don't think any of their uniforms were ever any good. Another red team that no one asked for.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They should have used the red helmets or something. The color balance looks all off. I guess it’s my assumption of the Canes being a red team rather than a red and black team, but this is just weird. 

They either need a shoulder yoke or just stick with the red breezers. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

If the Hurricanes insist on wearing black alternate jerseys, they should differentiate themselves from every other black alternate team by wearing red breezers. I know the Wings and Rangers are currently the only red-breezers-only teams, but Carolina (and Columbus) should join that club and wear red breezers regardless of jersey.

• Like 1

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Maybe a strong take, but I think the best Hurricanes jersey they've ever had is their current home. The originals are okay, but I could never get past the mismatching hem, arm and sock striping. The EDGE's and the Team Canada Hurricanes were obviously bad and "CANES" stinks.

Heck, I don't think their entire identity is all that great. Looking at Miami, Tulsa, Lethbridge and Carolina, is a hurricane too abstract of a thing for a good logo/brand? Miami has no hurricane imagery, Tulsa uses the warning flags (but that's buoyed by the college script), Lethbridge has gone to the hurricane and non-hurricane (including Taz the Tasmanian Devil and the Washington HurrJcanes) well a couple different times to varying "success" (seriously, if you haven't looked at Lethbridge's logo history, check it out) and Carolina often gets the toilet bowl comparison while only looking kind of like a hurricane.

IbjBaeE.png