Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

39 minutes ago, DukeofChutney said:

Words fail me.

But you know they're going to sell a fair few and their decision will be justified and they'll just keep churning these out now.

You already know. 

39 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

So only a handful of teams will be participating in this promotion? Interesting. 

To start. But we all know that's just the first wave...

31 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I honestly didn't see that part at first. That makes this program not as big of a deal to me if they can keep it that way. Just don't let it be the NBA where teams end up using their wacky city uniforms with non-team colors for over half their games in a season. 

Which, if Nike has their way, they won't...

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh come on... are people really thinking or worried that this is Nike's way of changing a team's primary uniforms? This is like Players Weekend uniforms, an occasional alternate to sell merchandise... this isn't a revamping of an entire uniform set

Not yet, but give it time. As recent history has borne out, never underestimate the influence or the $$$ of the Swoosh Overlords. 😄

*points to NBA*

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa. Had to come out of the wood work to comment on this one. 

I get the holiday and players weekend themes. There’s uniformity there. But here with 7 random teams and times and days, it feels too random.  Can’t we just have a city connect weekend and get the crap out of the way like we do for other themes?

So these appear to be with a team for three years. It feels like they’ll be worn more than once per season. Don’t believe that they’ll be one and done. 

Milb uses full sublimated graphics on their theme jerseys. Will we see that here with another team? How wacky can it get?

As a fan of baseball purity, not a fan. I just hope not worn a lot. As a runner ... I might have to get this jersey specifically for it’s tie-in with the Boston Marathon.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, LMU said:

U! *clap* *clap* clap* C! *clap* *clap* clap* L! *clap* *clap* *clap* A! *clap* *clap* *clap* U! C! L! A! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

boston-red-sox-new-2021-nike-city-connec

_mg_5919.jpg

2 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

This would make a great UCLA uniform

1 hour ago, Beantown77 said:

the accessories have a very strong UCLA knockoff vive.

20 minutes ago, McCall said:

The Boston Bruins, everybody.

56 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

That's literally a UCLA hat.

41 minutes ago, burgundy said:

As others have pointed out, that's a nice UCLA hat.

Before you post your original thought on the Bruins/UCLA

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I know it's probably not going to be this way but I would hope these "city edition" jerseys would only be worn on city holidays or other dates of importance like that. Two to five times a season at most. I would be fine with that. 

If the Brewers down the line get in on the action, I could see them rolling out something like this.

Spoiler

spacer.png

It's Me

11 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Well... At least they are not putting an ad on the helmets... 

Not yet, anyway...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Regarding the other teams doing it, I think the only one that will probably look better than they currently do will be the Marlins. 

It's very possible that it would look better than the Marlins' current lackluster identity, but I really don't want a Vice look. And that's exactly what it's going to be.

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Lmfao

lololol, I am in the NBA thread and I always laugh at how salty dudes are at the color, funky jerseys, and I remember one dude was like "atleast baseball still respects aesthetic traditions"

Kendrick Lamar Laughing GIF by SZA

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I mean, as long as this isn't replacing their usual uniforms then whatever. Stuff like this was coming to MLB anyways. I can't say I'm not curious what the other team's designs will look like. And as someone said, these are better then the Players Weekend uniforms. And decades ago we saw the Turn Ahead The Clock uniforms and people hated it but it's not like any MLB teams switched to those uniforms full time. So as a one off here and there, oh well, at least hopefully they look good and judging by this Red Sox one, they're not ugly.

Fair point, but the problem as I see it is that this is yet another gimmick uniform thrown into the rotation. You're now adding City Connect on top of Players Weekend, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc. Where does it end? Back when Turn Ahead The Clock was a thing, the league wasn't already swimming in hideous uniform gimmicks.

This further increases the chances of players reaching milestones and breaking major records in uniforms that look nothing like their team's traditional set.

Archived