The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s something about the Bruins that just irks me. Can’t quite put my finger on it.  Probably a combination of classic Boston smugness, Brad Marchand, and the most annoying goal horn in the NHL. So I do always enjoy seeing them knocked out. (Huge respect for Bergeron and Rask though). Islanders just grinded it out and outworked the Bruins this series. Will be very interesting to see how they deal with Tampa, a team that not only has more than one line, but maybe the best depth in the NHL. 

Also, Barry Trotz man. He’s the gift that keeps on giving, bounced Pittsburgh first then Boston. Will always have a soft spot for him. Say what you will about how his teams have finished for the majority of his career but he knows how to build a contending team. 

spacer.png

I'm honestly trying to find the words to describe what I just witnessed with the Bruins and I...I just can't. In a usual game, teams will collectively make 2-3 bonehead mistakes each period. It seemed like the Bruins were making 2-3 mistakes per shift. Not even crazy complicated mistakes either - just basic stuff like foolishly stick-handling in front of your own net or suddenly not being able to catch a pass. Plus, I cannot get over the lack of urgency. Five shots in the third period? Of an elimination game when you're down by two? Gross. I guess it didn't help that they played most of the third like they were trying to protect a 1-goal lead...

The Bruins were scared. It's sort of silly when commentators or fans of other teams talk about the Bruins being a "big, mean, physical" team when that persona has been long extinct. Most of the Bruins tonight looked absolutely petrified to touch the puck. Same problem got them in the Cup Finals against St. Louis a few years back. It's as if the team is going out of their way to find people who look big and physical, yet aren't once the puck drops. Hell, if Nick Ritchie was 5'10" or shorter would have never even sniffed Junior hockey, never mind the NHL.

It's going to be an interesting offseason. I think a lot of what we're seeing as problems within the Bruins comes from coaching and upper management. Lack of depth, motivation, etc. However, I can't see them tossing Neely and Sweeney out of town. They'll probably tweak a few things, convince the fans that Jake DeBrusk is (finally) going to turn a corner in his career, and sign some guy from the fourth line of another team and the personalities on WEEI will pretend to know hockey for the Bruins designated three minutes and be all excited about it. Then back to talking about how the Celtics are going to be a dynasty in 2-3 years again...

Time for NHL "hibernation!" Best of luck to the Islanders. They are a very good team and I hope they go far. Take down the Lightning!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I need to have more faith in my team.  For the first time since I was in elementary school The New York Saints...err Islanders have made the Final Four two seasons in a row.  Last season was special because it was the first time in 27 years that they made the Conference Finals, this season's just that much more special.  It's great to be back!  We've gone from being a laughing stock defending a decrepit old building to a respected organization defending the Historic Nassau Coliseum!  Win one more for the old barn!

The Drive For Five Is Alive!  LGI!!!

2 minutes ago, Unocal said:

If you're NBCSN, what is your best case scenario SCF at this point considering all the teams and big names falling like trees?

Given the clear bias on display from the broadcast team in the VGK series, probably TBL/VGK. 😛

Go Habs Go! Hopefully they can do it. I remember I didn’t think the Senators had a prayer against the Pens in 2017, but somehow were a goal away from moving on. Anybody but Vegas please.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

4 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Go Habs Go! Hopefully they can do it. I remember I didn’t think the Senators had a prayer against the Pens in 2017, but somehow were a goal away from moving on. Anybody but Vegas please.

Who's the Habs' Erik Karlsson equivalent?

51 minutes ago, schlim said:

Nobody cares about NBCSN's ratings because they won't carry games after this season, and the channel won't exist after this season. 

Watch them end up with NYI/MTL. They began with EDM/CAR and ANA/OTT, the former drawing lower ratings than all 100 episodes of Unhappily Ever After

2 hours ago, Unocal said:

The biggest player names left in these playoffs are Fleury and Price

NBCSN cannot be thrilled

I mean, the defending champs are still playing and they're stacked with big names, one of the funnest teams to watch, and now among the league villians because everybody's pissed about Kucherov.

IUe6Hvh.png

On 6/9/2021 at 10:13 PM, Brass said:

I'm honestly trying to find the words to describe what I just witnessed with the Bruins and I...I just can't. In a usual game, teams will collectively make 2-3 bonehead mistakes each period. It seemed like the Bruins were making 2-3 mistakes per shift. Not even crazy complicated mistakes either - just basic stuff like foolishly stick-handling in front of your own net or suddenly not being able to catch a pass. Plus, I cannot get over the lack of urgency. Five shots in the third period? Of an elimination game when you're down by two? Gross. I guess it didn't help that they played most of the third like they were trying to protect a 1-goal lead...

The Bruins were scared. It's sort of silly when commentators or fans of other teams talk about the Bruins being a "big, mean, physical" team when that persona has been long extinct. Most of the Bruins tonight looked absolutely petrified to touch the puck. Same problem got them in the Cup Finals against St. Louis a few years back. It's as if the team is going out of their way to find people who look big and physical, yet aren't once the puck drops. Hell, if Nick Ritchie was 5'10" or shorter would have never even sniffed Junior hockey, never mind the NHL.

It's going to be an interesting offseason. I think a lot of what we're seeing as problems within the Bruins comes from coaching and upper management. Lack of depth, motivation, etc. However, I can't see them tossing Neely and Sweeney out of town. They'll probably tweak a few things, convince the fans that Jake DeBrusk is (finally) going to turn a corner in his career, and sign some guy from the fourth line of another team and the personalities on WEEI will pretend to know hockey for the Bruins designated three minutes and be all excited about it. Then back to talking about how the Celtics are going to be a dynasty in 2-3 years again...

Time for NHL "hibernation!" Best of luck to the Islanders. They are a very good team and I hope they go far. Take down the Lightning!

That was the worst game of hockey I've ever seen. I felt embarrassed to even watch it.

Why was Nick Ritchie even playing in the last 10 minutes? I don't get why he plays at all... but.. WHY was he on the ice in that 3rd period. I've seen enough of Cassidy. I think he's a great guy and all but he's playing checkers while the rest of the league plays chess. The fact that he stuck with a clearly injured (or disinterested Rask) because it was "His Net." was enough for me. To quote the great Herb Brooks, "they just scored 10 goals, Jimmy, right now it's everybody's net."

What happened to Taylor Hall? He completed disappeared in this series and while it's a small sample size, makes me question the value of resigning him to anything more than a 3x3. It's time to move on from Rask, his cap hit hampers this franchise in a way that he is unable to make up for with great goaltending when truly needed.

The defense needs a top down retooling. Carlo is a stud, but he can't be a top pair center piece solely because he can't stay healthy. He might even want to start thinking about quality of life and call it a career, sadly.

Kudos to the Islanders, I love their brand of hockey. Hopefully they run the table.

Archived