The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dont care said:

Hurricanes oilers, or flames lightning 

Which would be ironic considering that CAR/EDM was the first SCF of this OLN/VERSUS/NBCSN era and MTL/NYI would bookend that era

And CGY/TB was ESPN's last SCF of the previous era

11 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

we never should've given the south major-league hockey. every single time one of their fanbases gets a whiff of success, they turn into some of the most entitled and toxic pissbabies in all of sports. carolina are the only exception I can think of.

On behalf of all Hurricanes fans, thank you! 

T1oYViW.png

12 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

we never should've given the south major-league hockey. every single time one of their fanbases gets a whiff of success, they turn into some of the most entitled and toxic pissbabies in all of sports. carolina are the only exception I can think of. st. louis is as far south as we should've gone.

I'm sure those fanbases would get used to it by now. Vegas being the exception as they are barely 10 years old. I mean, last year I threw a hissyfit because I want them to win the Stanley Cup this time, only to get denied by Dallas (who are way down South, btw). Speaking of which, how long till they drop into mediocrity?

9 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I'm sure those fanbases would get used to it by now. Vegas being the exception as they are barely 10 years old. I mean, last year I threw a hissyfit because I want them to win the Stanley Cup this time, only to get denied by Dallas (who are way down South, btw). Speaking of which, how long till they drop into mediocrity?

Barely 10?  The Golden Knights arent even 5 yet.

1 hour ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Once again

spacer.png

Feel free to delete because of the foul language, but good lord was Eddie O annoying after last night's game. Isles fans were celebrating a huge comeback win at what may be the last ever game at the Nassau Coliseum. Let 'em have their moment.

Untitled-2

Let hockey be rowdy. It's how it's been, how it is, and how it always should be.

15 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

it genuinely baffles me how much lightning fans :censored: and whinge about the refs considering isles players are getting penalties for being punched in the face now.  and, y'know, also considering they're about to get handed their third pissing cup in their lifetimes.

we never should've given the south major-league hockey. every single time one of their fanbases gets a whiff of success, they turn into some of the most entitled and toxic pissbabies in all of sports. carolina are the only exception I can think of. st. louis is as far south as we should've gone.

I'm not going to defend other Lightning fans because even I find a lot of them to be an insufferable bunch but I think any Lightning fans are pretty justified in being upset.  The NHL assigns Chris Lee, who has zero business still officiating games in these playoffs, to this game and he proceeds to no-call a blatant cheapshot that happens three feet in front of him which results in the playoff point leader playing a single shift.  Then, because there's no consequences, the same player crosschecks Stamkos head first into the boards to end the second. 

IUe6Hvh.png

If you try hard enough, you'll find insufferable fans in every single fanbase on the planet. You can question whether hockey should still be in places like Sunrise, FL or Phoenix on account of the fact that those have never been particularly profitable franchises, raising questions about whether there's enough of a hockey appetite in those areas, but that kind of gatekeeping "should've never given hockey to the south" comment is bull :censored:. Not going to apologize for saying that. You're whining about a player getting unfairly singled out by the referee in a post-whistle skirmish (which was later cancelled out by two pillow soft penalties shortly thereafter, as it turned out). Lightning fans are whining about their best player getting knocked out of the game on a vicious cross check that the referee said "nah" in response to. You wouldn't be whining if Barzal got knocked out of the game under similar circumstances?

And as far as "about to win their third Cup", well, let me know when that happens. There's just as good a chance the Lightning are going to have their third blown 3-2 lead in the ECF (or equivalent) in the last six seasons as there is a chance they're going to win their third Cup this season as things stand right now. 

spacer.png

As more of a neutral fan, I think the cross check on Kucherov should have been called and may be the one Stamkos as well. The whole beer can thing is not such a big deal. It's not like Hogan put the leg drop on Randy Savage or anything.

Honestly, can we stop the crap about how NHL should not be in the south or something to that effect?  OK, some markets need to be reevaluated constantly (see Arizona), but it's not like it's a total failure. 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

Honestly, can we stop the crap about how NHL should not be in the south or something to that effect?  OK, some markets need to be reevaluated constantly (see Arizona), but it's not like it's a total failure. 

EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif?

I want to see the Isles win because I'm loving the story of them playing their final season in the old Barn and what better way to open the new era next season then winning the Cup one last time in the old Barn?

Just the whole thought has such a romantic feel to it.

37 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

I want to see the Isles win because I'm loving the story of them playing their final season in the old Barn and what better way to open the new era next season then winning the Cup one last time in the old Barn?

Just the whole thought has such a romantic feel to it.

.... it's just needs a  "tuck rule" moment... 🙃

I saw, I came, I left.

Markets can only be successful or failures if given the opportunity. Ottawa should naturally be a success, right? Wait, you mean they’ve had a moronic owner that’s about to do the NHL equivalent of going bankrupt selling sweet tea to Southerners? And that common thread is why so many teams across all sports have failed regardless of the market? No, must just be stupid dumbdumb rednecks who can’t tell the difference between a zamboni and a zipper. 

4 hours ago, DEAD! said:

OK, some markets need to be reevaluated constantly (see Arizona), but it's not like it's a total failure. 

I'd argue the same reason Arizona's struggled historically is the exact same reason the Isles floundered for decades; terrible ownership. The Ellman-Moyes bankruptcy era was brutal for fan interest in the Coyotes, much like ASG's reign of terror was for the Thrashers.

You can't get a market with lots of other things to do and watch invested in a team that's constantly bad, never makes the postseason and spends more time leaking off-ice drama than anything else. Nobody invests in that team because the team is bad and never gives them reason to invest.

Why bother paying to watch a :censored:ty hockey team in the arena when you could spend that time watching the game at a bar or something? At least you'd be able to have some fun at that bar instead of spending a couple of hours sitting and watching a bad hockey team.

I remember the days when Nashville and Tampa were hot topics for relocation. They turned around by falling into the hands of competent ownership; who's to say the Coyotes aren't in a similar boat?

6 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd argue the same reason Arizona's struggled historically is the exact same reason the Isles floundered for decades; terrible ownership. The Ellman-Moyes bankruptcy era was brutal for fan interest in the Coyotes, much like ASG's reign of terror was for the Thrashers.

You can't get a market with lots of other things to do and watch invested in a team that's constantly bad, never makes the postseason and spends more time leaking off-ice drama than anything else. Nobody invests in that team because the team is bad and never gives them reason to invest.

Why bother paying to watch a :censored:ty hockey team in the arena when you could spend that time watching the game at a bar or something? At least you'd be able to have some fun at that bar instead of spending a couple of hours sitting and watching a bad hockey team.

I remember the days when Nashville and Tampa were hot topics for relocation. They turned around by falling into the hands of competent ownership; who's to say the Coyotes aren't in a similar boat?

I guess that's the advantage Ottawa has... there isn't a lot of other things to do... (I kid, I kid)

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived