The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's still a ton of work to do. But this run thus far is mindblowing to me. The Habs are 2 wins away from a trip to the Stanley Cup Final. Not something I thought I'd be saying this year in June.

I should not get this stressed out watching a Habs team I have zero connection to.  The officiating is bull :censored:, though.

The missed high stick to Perry is somehow more egregious than Point's goalie interference call the other day. Same ref too. 

IUe6Hvh.png

10 hours ago, See Red said:

I should not get this stressed out watching a Habs team I have zero connection to.  The officiating is bull :censored:, though.

The missed high stick to Perry is somehow more egregious than Point's goalie interference call the other day. Same ref too. 

Every day when I find out who the officials are in the Lightning game for that night, I groan afterwards. It really shouldn't be this way. The eight referees left in the playoffs, ostensibly, are supposed to be the eight best referees in the NHL this season, and if that's truly the case, it must say something about the state of NHL officiating because five of those eight referees are absolutely incompetent. It's completely and irretrievably broken. 

spacer.png

Well, this was outrageously reminiscent of this exact same game (in essence) from 2017, when the Penguins beat the Sens 7-0 in Game 5 of the ECF with the series tied at 2. What happened next? Penguins did win the series when it was all said and done, but not before losing Game 6 in Ottawa, blowing a late 3rd period lead in Game 7, and having to go all the way into double overtime before finally knocking off the Sens once and for all.

Great win for the Lightning, of course, but "Lightning" and "3-2 lead in the ECF" has not been a good combination in recent years and there's a long way to go here.

Oh, and Barzal 100% won't be suspended. He got ejected with 20 minutes to play. Nevermind the score, the NHL will consider that "sufficient" punishment and no suspension necessary. In the deranged world the NHL operates in, that's how things go. Whether anyone thinks he deserves a suspension is another topic entirely.

spacer.png

Regarding Barzal -- Rutta didn't return to the game.  If he was genuinely hurt as opposed to it being precautionary, I'd say a suspension is warranted.  Sitting 20 minutes of a then 6-0 game isn't much of a punishment considering he cross-checked Lazar in the face in the Bruins series.

Edit: $5k fine for Barzal. 

I bet if Rutta did it to Barzal and left him laying on the ice to not return, it'd be a suspension. 

IUe6Hvh.png

it genuinely baffles me how much lightning fans :censored: and whinge about the refs considering isles players are getting penalties for being punched in the face now.  and, y'know, also considering they're about to get handed their third pissing cup in their lifetimes.

we never should've given the south major-league hockey. every single time one of their fanbases gets a whiff of success, they turn into some of the most entitled and toxic pissbabies in all of sports. carolina are the only exception I can think of. st. louis is as far south as we should've gone.

53Ocz8U.png

Archived