MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

6 minutes ago, NicDB said:

For me, the litmus test is how closely the "_____ City" name ties into the team's identity.

In the case of the Astros and possibly the Brewers... pretty much on the nose.

I'll take it one step further, though. People OUTSIDE of those locale's need to know the term, or else it is TOO local.

For example, does anyone really refer to Portland as Rip City? Or is that just a Blazers reference - I truly don't know.

I think Brew City is understood. Space City as well (like you point out). Fountain City wouldn't, but the use of Fountains as a design element for KC is fine by me.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

I'll take it one step further, though. People OUTSIDE of those locale's need to know the term, or else it is TOO local.

For example, does anyone really refer to Portland as Rip City? Or is that just a Blazers reference - I truly don't know.

I think Brew City is understood. Space City as well (like you point out). Fountain City wouldn't, but the use of Fountains as a design element for KC is fine by me.

Cream City. But I don't know if they want to stay away from that since the Bucks already used it.

43 minutes ago, McCall said:

Cream City. But I don't know if they want to stay away from that since the Bucks already used it.

Back to my examples-- do enough people know Milwaukee as Cream City? It seems too local to me

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

18 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Back to my examples-- do enough people know Milwaukee as Cream City? It seems too local to me

When the Bucks introduced their new logos and Cream City Cream as one of their colors...that was honestly the first time in my life I had ever heard  the Cream City reference, and I've lived within an hour or so from Milwaukee pretty much my entire life.

• Like 2

I've got a couple guesses as to why the Royals city connect jersey is navy.

1. They have that updated uniform set with new powder blue and royal blue jerseys. Maybe they were avoiding two powder blues and adding a color that isn't used yet.

2. A lot of times dark colors sell better. The Royals only have fairly bright shades of blue, so adding navy gives them a chance to sell gear with a darker color.

Could be??

Edited by AdAstraKC
Typo

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

So…is navy blue a trend now? We’ve seen the blue jays add that with their alternate as well as the cubs-royals city jerseys. It’s not like royal blue is the overused shade of blue in MLB

KISSwall09.jpg

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I knew about it--but then a/ I've been to/through Milwaukee enough times to know that; and b/ related to that, I probably know more trivia about this whole country than most know about their own cities 🤷🏿‍♂️, so there's that, too. 

(Perks of being a traveler...even if on 14 or 18 wheels.)

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Huge swing and a miss there. But then, we figured at some point one or more of these would look "phoned in". Well, this is the one so far. (I get the feeling Anaheim will be the next one...)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

12 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

12 hours ago, mjd77 said:

When the Bucks introduced their new logos and Cream City Cream as one of their colors...that was honestly the first time in my life I had ever heard  the Cream City reference, and I've lived within an hour or so from Milwaukee pretty much my entire life.

19th century baseball clubs in Milwaukee were known as the Cream Citys before they were known as the Brewers, so its always been a thing.

But a lot of the hip trendy businesses that started to spring up around Milwaukee in the early 2000s or so started pushing Cream City, since Brew City still sorta had the stigma of marking us as the lame city from Laverne & Shirley.

6 hours ago, hormone said:

So…is navy blue a trend now? We’ve seen the blue jays add that with their alternate as well as the cubs-royals city jerseys. It’s not like royal blue is the overused shade of blue in MLB

When it’s been happening for over 2 decades it’s not a trend.

15 hours ago, NicDB said:

It really is wild to think how close we were to having the Mil Sox. Or that the Sox are literally the reason why the Brewers exist. Hell, add Bill Veeck to the list of things that connects the Sox to Milwaukee.

Can I ask how you became a Brewers fan in Chicago?  

For me, the litmus test is how closely the "_____ City" name ties into the team's identity.

In the case of the Astros and possibly the Brewers... pretty much on the nose.

I became a Brewers fan in Chicago due to family.  Spent a lot of time with them in Wisconsin, grandparents minutes from the ballpark, more accessible, nicer stadium, etc etc.  My other side of the family are all Cub fans, so they definitely tried making me a Cub fan too (I even had a Sosa jersey smh), but the Cubs just were never an attractive pick for me.  

(Also, Chicago sports fans are mostly delusional ******** so I try to distance myself from that as much as possible)

• Like 4

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

33 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Beautiful.  I want a shirt and a poster.

May be an image of text that says '60.1 和! 不 DODGER STADIUM 1962 6 2022'

May be an image of ‎3 people, book and ‎text that says '‎INSPIRATION Loslngeles FLY TWA HOLLYWOOD ح LOS ANGELES LOS ANGE LES Dodgers 50 395‎'‎‎

May be an image of text that says 'Logo eatures Dodger pastel palette The majestic 60.11 Signature hexagon board, nod orange iconic Wide anodto Dodger Futura Boldis gate marquees ettans level Dog highlightsforsixdecad Number typeface inspired distance markers Stadium 1962 outfield 2022 Home years and hopefully more! PAST DODGER STADIUM COMMEMORATIVE LOGOS ANNIVERSARY 102 NVO'

This is just a painful reminder of how many cool directions the Dodgers could have take with their City Connect unis. Instead, we just got a blue version of their road set. 

• Like 5

On 3/23/2022 at 12:23 PM, BBTV said:

The pinstripe through the middle of the 8 bothers me way more than it should.

It's less that and more the fact that the pinstripes aren't centered.   Why?!

On 3/29/2022 at 10:14 AM, CS85 said:

I like these.  The petals on the W are too much, but the rest is actually very nice, IMHO.

I actually think the hat is perfect-ish.   But the huge, block letters across the chest are just bleh.   Why couldn't we have gotten the Nationals cursive emulating a cherry tree branch with more blossoms coming off of it?   Just generic block.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The outline is probably just there because otherwise a navy logo on navy wouldn't work.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, JonBoy said:

If the Rays ever get out of the Trop, I expect new uniforms and/or branding to go with it.  The dark green and navy they have seem to fit the darkness of the dome.  I've thought a Columbia/sky blue and Kelly green combo would look good for them if they ever get an open-air stadium.  

And just embrace the fish Ray

I actually think the brighter colors are better given their surroundings.   It injects a breath of fresh air.   The darker colors are made all the more drab by the lack of sunlight.   See the last Brewers set.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:08 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

(For the record, I'm quite a fan of my team's City Connect jerseys. I just with they had gone with a full "Giants" wordmark instead of just the "G")

On 4/14/2022 at 9:14 AM, coco1997 said:

The Giants City Connect uniforms feel like they’re missing something. I can’t quite put my finger on it though.

They might be my least favorite.   Emptiness.   Blah.   How could you come up with a uniform that is so nothing.   Even the inclusion of black would have provided some contrast to give it some life.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:55 PM, VikWings said:

I like the Astros city uniforms from the waist up. Not a fan of the mono navy. Prefer white or gray pants. And that goes for pretty much all baseball uniforms, except maybe powder blue.

While I'd usually agree, I like the color of the pants numbers and if you went white/gray, you'd have to change that to just navy so they don't blend in.

On 4/21/2022 at 12:08 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Isn't the whole point to be insular?   People were saying they'd hate the Nationals ones to use terms that are only used outside the city.   It's connecting to the local culture.   I'd love them to get super local.

So, I got a private message on Wikipedia.   Someone passed this onto me:

"Hey, just as a note, if you're planning on doing any updates for this season (a service I appreciate more than you can imagine), on tonight's Mets radio broadcast they were discussing that the road blue jerseys (the ones reading "New York" that are labeled as Alt 2 in the image) are no more, as, according to the announcers, there's now a limit of 4 jersey options outside special MLB-wide programs (like those City Connect ones from the past few seasons and the Players Weekend ones). Now, the immediate reason for this discussion is that the Mets had to drop one of their blue jerseys in order to keep the resurrected black ones. But if the announcers were correct in their understanding (they're usually pretty good), the implication is that there will be a lot more changes as there are currently many teams with fifth (or more) jerseys"

This true?   Anyone able to confirm or deny?   It would explain some of the missing alts that are not specifically stated to be supply issues.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

"Hey, just as a note, if you're planning on doing any updates for this season (a service I appreciate more than you can imagine), on tonight's Mets radio broadcast they were discussing that the road blue jerseys (the ones reading "New York" that are labeled as Alt 2 in the image) are no more, as, according to the announcers, there's now a limit of 4 jersey options outside special MLB-wide programs (like those City Connect ones from the past few seasons and the Players Weekend ones). Now, the immediate reason for this discussion is that the Mets had to drop one of their blue jerseys in order to keep the resurrected black ones. But if the announcers were correct in their understanding (they're usually pretty good), the implication is that there will be a lot more changes as there are currently many teams with fifth (or more) jerseys"

This true?   Anyone able to confirm or deny?   It would explain some of the missing alts that are not specifically stated to be supply issues.

Teams to watch if this is true:

• Mariners (5)
  • Padres (5)
  • Diamondbacks (5)
  • Rangers (5)
  • Twins (6)
  • Pirates (5)
  • Mets (5)
  • Nationals (hell if I know 6?)
  • Braves (5)
  • Rays (5)

Sorry, I'm on an iPad