MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

7 hours ago, hormone said:

My eyes aren’t the greatest, but is that a white panel angel hat paired with a cream uniform?

The lighting in that pic makes its sort of hard to decipher, but the cap panels look to be cream as well. 

So after this latest city reveal, I think I would personally rank them all in this order (my score in parenthesis):

1. Royals (10)
  2. White Sox (9)
  3. Marlins (9)
  4. Cubs (8)
  5. Astros (8)
  6. Nationals (8)
  7. Diamondbacks (7)
  8. Angels (7)
  9. Rockies (7)
  10. Dodgers (6)
  11. Giants (5)
  12. Red Sox (2)

So far for me, the Red Sox are the only city uni that I think are actually bad and were a total swing-and-a-miss.  

• Like 2

Keeping in mind my standard disclaimer that I still don’t like the City program being implemented into MLB, the Rockies set is probably my 3rd favorite so far, behind the White Sox & Houston.

I like how it is sort of the inverse coloration of a typical baseball uniform, as the white accents on the hat, shoulders, & belt really help the uniform to “pop.” The mountain isn’t too over-the-top either.

One thing that does bug me is the inconsistency of color with the cap logo & sleeve patch, compared to the rest of the set. I wish everything was simply green & purple.

Speaking of, I really wish the Rockies would dump black & replace it with this green, or simply go purple & silver. It would really do wonders for their set.

Once again, even though I like the general design presented here, I wish it was more in-line with their regular set, maybe by using their regular font & not going quite as unique with the logos. With the mountain it obviously could still work as part of their main set.

I’ll wait to comment on the Angels once they’re officially revealed, but for now my ranking of the City Connects so far would be:

1. White Sox

2. Houston

3. Colorado

4. Washington

5. Arizona

6. Boston

7. Kansas City

8. Miami

9. San Francisco

10. Cubs

11. Dodgers

• Like 3

I hate this entire initiative, but I like this Angels uniform because it just looks like a PCL fauxback. Consider the alternatives involving "The OC" (don't call it that). It could be so much worse.

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, I'm kind of whelmed by the Angels set. I'll have to see the full release, the explanation for everything and the merch, but I'm feeling just kind of "Oh, alright" about it right now. They at least look like a good/normal baseball jersey though.

I think it's a real wild move for this jersey to be the first one they put "Los Angeles Angels" on if that is what the sleeve patch appears to have. Also will have to wait for the explanation, but this doesn't really look like a "Los Angeles" based jersey.

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Wait?  People like the Rockies one?  I find it really hideous.  Especially with the promising color palette of green and purple.  

I’ve noticed lots of praise from non-Rockies fans and people not from Colorado. But much of the negativity is from Coloradoans and Rox fans because it feels like they went for the easiest Colorado design possible and hit on what outsiders think CO is not what we feel it is.

The idea of placing a “tourist sticker” on the cap is one of the most brain dead ideas I’ve ever heard for a CITY CONNECT uniform. I shouldn’t be surprised, the Rockies are nothing if not consistent. Consistently disappointing.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

The Rockies City Connect is ok. Adding green and the license plate inspired font are great and I hope they use those things in the future. The cap logo is bad. Everything else is meh.

But, at least it doesn’t have the flag on it. As a native, I’ve grown to dislike that flag because it’s on everything. 

jNTsTyQ.png

People saying green and purple reminds them of the Hulk and the Wimbledon logo but nobody thinks of The Joker? 

Also people ranking their CC uniforms got me thinking, people actually like the Giants ones? To me those are by far the worst. It's like that Moneyball movie line where Pitt says there's the bottom, then 10 lbs of crap, then the A's... that's how I see those Giants CC unis.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1

47 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Never realized how much the Marlins black jersey sucked until I saw this image

FUL8oJTWYAMoqv2?format=jpg&name=large

If they made the red/blue a little more vibrant/bigger/more clear to see from a distance this set and especially this jersey would be awesome

• Like 2

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

21 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

If they made the red/blue a little more vibrant/bigger/more clear to see from a distance this set and especially this jersey would be awesome

Yeah I don't they're idea for the black alt, but the execution fell flat. The lines are too thin to be noticeable and thus do not give off that "neon at night" look. The sleeve patch has a little bit thicker lines and almost pops the way the front wordmark should.

1 hour ago, McCall said:

Yeah I don't they're idea for the black alt, but the execution fell flat. The lines are too thin to be noticeable and thus do not give off that "neon at night" look. The sleeve patch has a little bit thicker lines and almost pops the way the front wordmark should.

And the piping needs to be closer in size to what the Rangers have been wearing for the past couple years

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

2 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

And the piping needs to be closer in size to what the Rangers have been wearing for the past couple years

Maybe. Blue Jays is about that size, too. Even normal triple piping (i.e., Braves minus the placket, Reds' road uniforms, Giants, etc.) would be better. This is 3 colors, condensed into barely the size of standard single-piping.

Forget all the "Los Colores" and "neon at night" stuff, this was Take 2 on making the Marlins look like the Yankees. The 2003 redesign was a literal attempt, but this one was more figurative: strip all the color and playfulness in an attempt to look serious.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫