MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

If there's one thing I miss about the California Angels, it's their beautiful final uniform before the name change to Anaheim...that said, what they've worn for the past couple decades is basically a mix of that and the 70s-80s set, just bring navy caps back as an option.

• Like 4

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 6/9/2022 at 5:24 PM, Pharos04 said:

Yeah I’m from Boston and I can’t stand the blue/yellow. It honestly feels like a massive attempt at cashing in on the feelings people have about the Marathon and the attack. It feels empty. When I think of Boston one of the last things that comes to mind is people running from Hopkinton to Boston.

Boston has much more historical and city-related concepts they could have pulled from. The entire center of the beginnings of the Revolution and the Sons of Liberty? Or something based around the USS Constitution that was built here. Hell they could’ve chosen to go off script that, since they are named for Boston, they could’ve gone with a Pine Tree motif to represent New England as a whole. Hell the MBTA is the first subway in the US if you want to get obscure with something the city has going for it. A uniform incorporating the 4 colored lines would be a visual nightmare but at least feel a bit more “connection” to the city. 

I see designs that some of the other teams (no not the Dodgers) and it makes me sad at what could’ve been. Highlighter yellow and powder blue do not make me think of Boston in any way. (And yes I’m aware of the colors of the Boston flag. It’s a bad flag)

Wow. Agree to really disagree I guess. I've spent my whole life about an hour outside Boston. My first thought about the city is the Freedom Trail, the start of the Revolution (Lexington, Concord, Paul Revere, etc.), and Patriots Day - Massachusetts' own unique holiday, on which the marathon is run. It's the unofficial start of Spring for the whole region. 

FWIW, I don't think about the bombing when the marathon comes up. At least not right away. The tradition of the race has not been overshadowed by it, IMO.

I'm kinda glad they didn't go straight up Revolution, since the Patriots and the MLS team are already there. Your MBTA idea is decent, but lots of MLB cities have subways, and it might be hard to see the MBTA-ness of a subway design.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anaheim's raw population is beside the point. The issue is Anaheim's being within the metropolitan avenue of another city of far greater importance.

So since the size and population of the city of Anaheim ruins your argument, it's now beside the point. Got it. Again, Anaheim Ducks sounds far better than Los Angeles Ducks, and No OnE ObJeCts. 

To explain once again why those claims are not valid: the use of any locality name is not an assertion of exclusivity. So, a team with a state locality name sitting alongside teams with locality names of cities within that same state makes just as much sense as more than one team having the same locality name, a situation to which no one objects

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I wish the team that played in Ebbets Field was called the New York Dodgers". 

• Like 7

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I think it's my age that is doing this, but... I don't... hate these.   It's a bubbling nostalgia of the kind of trucker hat I'd expect to see on the 4th in the 90's.   I hear Bruce Springsteen in my head.   I see fireworks the night sky.

It's one of those instances where my head says this is an atrocity, but my heart kinda enjoys it, even from a "this is so goofy and stupid that it makes me smile" way.

They're whimsically fine for a summer concert, bbq or fireworks show as fashion hats but have no business seeing a MLB field.

I miss when they just put a flag patch on the side or the flag within each teams logo on their regular hats.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

So the old NE Revolution logo found new employment as a hat?

Yikes that’s bad. These are hats I can hear, and I hear Toby Keith. 

Now I want to ride on a bull named "Fu Manchu"

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I saw, I came, I left.

I prefer Anaheim over Los Angeles for three reasons:

1.  The three-syllable Anaheim is far less clunky than the two-word, four-syllable Los Angeles. California is even worse because it's five syllables.

2. I dislike it when teams in the same sport share a geographic name and thus have to incorporate their nicknames into their abbreviations.

3. They won a World Series as the Anaheim Angels.

The only reason they went back to Los Angeles is because of marketing. Their desperate attempt to be an LA team is what led to the ridiculous "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" when they could've (and should've) just stuck with Anaheim.

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

Just now, Silent Wind of Doom said:

While I agree on Anaheim, I didn't think anyone besides Arnold stretched that to five.   Then again, I pronounce "crayon" as one syllable.

I go back and forth on it. Said out loud, it's more like four and half because of the "nia" sound that is technically two syllables but is often counted as one. Still a clunky geographic identifier and unfit for the Angels.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Also, the new 4th of July holiday caps just leaked, and holy cow maybe we can just start settling for a patch or something each year. These should never see the field. I'm usually ok with whatever they release for holidays, but these aren't it.

I've always loved the 4th of July hats mostly because they look like hats that can be worn in a baseball game but these are the exact opposite. They went too far this time. It's some Wal-Mart nonsense. Get outta here with this.

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

5 hours ago, sitboaf said:

Wow. Agree to really disagree I guess. I've spent my whole life about an hour outside Boston. My first thought about the city is the Freedom Trail, the start of the Revolution (Lexington, Concord, Paul Revere, etc.), and Patriots Day - Massachusetts' own unique holiday, on which the marathon is run. It's the unofficial start of Spring for the whole region. 

FWIW, I don't think about the bombing when the marathon comes up. At least not right away. The tradition of the race has not been overshadowed by it, IMO.

I'm kinda glad they didn't go straight up Revolution, since the Patriots and the MLS team are already there. Your MBTA idea is decent, but lots of MLB cities have subways, and it might be hard to see the MBTA-ness of a subway design.

And the T isn’t all that special to begin with. It’s an easier way to get to games, and events. It’s not used by alot of people to and from work, Atleast not like other places where it’s a necessity. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, McCall said:

Are the Dodgers the first team to wear their City Connect uniforms on the road? (Wearing them tonight in San Francisco)

Yep. They also wore them on the road last year as well for 1 game against the Giants in early September. Maybe they plan on wearing them against division rivals only on the road...?

spacer.png

2 hours ago, DarthBrett said:

Yep. They also wore them on the road last year as well for 1 game against the Giants in early September. Maybe they plan on wearing them against division rivals only on the road...?

spacer.png

NFL Color Rush meets Major League Baseball Latino Pandering Night. 

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anaheim's raw population is beside the point. The issue is Anaheim's being within the metropolitan avenue of another city of far greater importance.

So Brooklyn Nets is against your guidelines too?

My biggest issue with the whole Los Angeles Angels brand is how they have never once used Los Angeles in ANYTHING. It's not on their caps. It doesn't say it on their away jersey. Not even a simple sleeve patch. It's always "ANGELS BASEBALL". So how can they market to a city they themselves seem very hesitant on marking to anyway? 

11 hours ago, DarthBrett said:

spacer.png

This was my biggest fear. They really shouldn't be wearing these on the road (or at all in general)

• Like 2

XM4KeeA.png

4 minutes ago, insert name said:

My biggest issue with the whole Los Angeles Angels brand is how they have never once used Los Angeles in ANYTHING. It's not on their caps. It doesn't say it on their away jersey. Not even a simple sleeve patch. It's always "ANGELS BASEBALL". So how can they market to a city they themselves seem very hesitant on marking to anyway? 

Yeah.   In the end, if their Los Angeles claims feel cringey and they don't want to go by Anaheim, California is the way to go.

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 hours ago, TBGKon said:

So Brooklyn Nets is against your guidelines too?

Very much so. Though this is not a parallel to anything we have discussed so far.

The opportunity for this team to return to its former name New York Nets was there, and the team blew it. Unlike the Dodgers, whose name dates from when Brooklyn was a separate city, the Nets named themselves after a section of New York City. While someone could probably find marketing-related reasons to justify this, based on the perceived cache of the name "Brooklyn", this naming of the team feels to me as a proud New Yorker like an insult.  It would be hard to find a parallel, as even a team called the Hollywood Stars (thus named after a section of Los Angeles) could still represent the entire city, as "Hollywood" denotes L.A. as the moviemaking capital of the world.

The Brooklyn Nets' name, in conjunction with the team's bad uniforms, has worked to end my emotional connection to a team that I had rooted for since I was a kid, when the team was the New York Nets.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png